Making a dual-wield archer

#11IamI3rianPosted 6/3/2012 6:21:02 PM
keysmash posted...
'Leveling it is easy. Just collect ingredients and combine them. Seriously. Even if there's no potion made, you get some skill increases. "

On one char I had 500 ingredients of various types stored and spent an hour or two mixing them all. With previous mixing sessions and 20 training lvls she is level 60 in alchemy. Leveling is attached to end value of the potion, I have never 'cheated' and read a speed lvl guide to mix the most valuable, and I have never worn +to alch gear. That way takes forever, and I have no intention to 'cheat' now.

That's crazy. I pretty much ignore the alchemy guides too. You can still mix up some decent potions though, just based on what your character has discovered. The key is to combine more than two ingredients.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
Family Guy chicken fights are the greatest thing ever. FACT.
#12ktwsePosted 6/4/2012 3:17:52 AM
Orlandu74851 posted...
I've fixed it a little http://skyrimcalculator.com/#132803 . Sticking with alteration and restoration as they are for the ability to survive. Thanks for the input, and 80-100 hours doesn't seem bad as I'm used to games like Disgaea etc sapping time from me.

Don't get me wrong, I have over 200 hours on one character and around 60-80 on a couple of others. The thing is, you want your character to be fun to play, not spend too much time worrying about what perks to increase, how to level most efficiently etc.

Bladesman is a waste of three perks. You're better off spending those perks elsewhere, or leave it for later if there's nothing else you want. Same with Alteration and Restoration. You don't need them for surviving. Magic restistance can be achieved with other skills, and besides spamming detect life to get to 70 just for the third level is incredibly tedious. Restoration can be useful but of course there's tons of potions. If you're doing it, better to spend an extra perk on Regeneration and maybe Apprentice Resto. If you do Smithing, it's just foolish to not take Arcane Smithing.
---
Never argue with idiots. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
#13Orlandu74851(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2012 10:25:46 AM
ktwse posted...
Orlandu74851 posted...
I've fixed it a little http://skyrimcalculator.com/#132803 . Sticking with alteration and restoration as they are for the ability to survive. Thanks for the input, and 80-100 hours doesn't seem bad as I'm used to games like Disgaea etc sapping time from me.

Don't get me wrong, I have over 200 hours on one character and around 60-80 on a couple of others. The thing is, you want your character to be fun to play, not spend too much time worrying about what perks to increase, how to level most efficiently etc.

Bladesman is a waste of three perks. You're better off spending those perks elsewhere, or leave it for later if there's nothing else you want. Same with Alteration and Restoration. You don't need them for surviving. Magic restistance can be achieved with other skills, and besides spamming detect life to get to 70 just for the third level is incredibly tedious. Restoration can be useful but of course there's tons of potions. If you're doing it, better to spend an extra perk on Regeneration and maybe Apprentice Resto. If you do Smithing, it's just foolish to not take Arcane Smithing.

I'm really particular about making sure I have a good character. I've only invested one point into restoration so far (it was the first perk I got). What would you recommend I level?

Also I see plenty of melee builds that recommend 2 Health 1 Stamina. Is that recommended?
---
Waiting patiently for Ni No Kuni.
#14IamI3rianPosted 6/4/2012 10:41:08 AM
Orlandu74851 posted...
Also I see plenty of melee builds that recommend 2 Health 1 Stamina. Is that recommended?

No, you can make soup to increase your stamina regen. All you need is 1 point in stamina to bash or power attack. Veggie soup (of beef stew/venison stew) = +1 stam/sec. You don't EVEN need stamina to be effective. That said you don't need much mana either.

So just go with whatever. Nothing you do (really) is going to make you "lose" the game. It's excessively easy no matter what. People "beat" the main quest all the time at level 1 and without taking perks. Machines even does it without leveling SKILLS (meaning he's TRULY a level one character). Sure he exploits all kinds of stuff, but the point is you have to try to make the game hard.

Just play and have fun. That's what it's hear for. Once you have a problem, we'll help you fix it, but there's no "wrong way" to do it.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
We have bigger problems than missing maracas.
#15demonwyrmPosted 6/4/2012 11:41:03 AM
I have a wood elf assassin that relies completely on bows. If you're going to use bows a lot, you might not want to waste perks in one handed. I thought of that too. As your archery skill grows, you'll start to one hit kill a lot of enemies. Especially if you use all 3 of the critical hit perks in archery. Also, sneak has a perk that gives a bow 3 times as much damage if you hit someone while sneaking and undetected. Like I said, my character relies completely on a bow these days. I wish I never wasted time and effort building up my one handed when I never use it.
---
Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow a mind to stop thinking. A non-thinking mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.
PSN: demonwyrm666x
#16Orlandu74851(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2012 12:40:16 PM
demonwyrm, I'll be using 1h more than bows, they are there as my ranged attacks. It will, at most, be a 60/40 split in terms of usage. It was either this or make a red mage/spellsword character.
---
Waiting patiently for Ni No Kuni.
#17ktwsePosted 6/4/2012 1:39:23 PM
IamI3rian posted...

No, you can make soup to increase your stamina regen. All you need is 1 point in stamina to bash or power attack. Veggie soup (of beef stew/venison stew) = +1 stam/sec. You don't EVEN need stamina to be effective. That said you don't need much mana either.

This.

Since you'll be relying more on One-handed, I'd say skip stamina, or at least spend most of your points on health. Having a high stamina is useful for archers, since zooming in with Eagle Eye and Steady Hand is a very effective way of dealing with multiple enemies (but it will constantly drain your stamina).
---
Never argue with idiots. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
#18Craig_GoulartPosted 6/4/2012 3:49:35 PM
Orlandu74851 posted...
as I'm used to games like Disgaea etc sapping time from me.

Good to see a fellow Disgaea player on the Skyrim thread.
---
Official Nisa of the Disgaea 4 Board!
Currently Playng: Disgaea 4, and Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
#19CoryneyPosted 6/4/2012 4:40:15 PM
Leveling Alchemy is PAINFULLY easy (easy, not quick), just go to the Alchemy store in Whiterun, buy all of her ingredients, make potions and sell them for profit. Rinse and repeat until it is maxed. Also if you don't mind being cheap then you could always use the Restoration loop to make some super-expensive potions for a tonn of EXP as EXP is dependant on Price of potion made. You should also be able to max out Speechcraft too by selling the potions (even if you only take say 750 for them)