Teleport

#1charmaPosted 10/25/2011 8:42:31 AM
Do you support teleportation?

I liked how they did it in Morrowind. In Oblivion it was cheap. Just teleport where you want, whenever you want.

Do you think this game will have it?

How do you think it will be implemented?
#2tzar_666Posted 10/25/2011 8:43:17 AM
exactly the same except you have to fins someplace to teleport there
---
"questions are a burden to others and a danger to you"- cleveland brown
#3zegram33Posted 10/25/2011 8:44:59 AM
its in, but only to places you've been before still
and: it only worked in morrowind because you could fly or super jump to your destination, which was even MORE cheap.
without both, it would get old real fast
but yeh, you have to walk to a destination, then you can warp there.
on a more literal note, one of the dragon shouts supposedly IS teleportation, which sound sincredibly awesome
#4bakedpotato86Posted 10/25/2011 8:47:31 AM
^i believe it teleports you behind your enemy
---
"you are only wrong with authority, not right"
#5zegram33Posted 10/25/2011 8:50:25 AM
hehehehe
sneaky sneak attacks galore!
#6eddieham13Posted 10/25/2011 12:17:20 PM
Yes I can confirm that the teleportation shout, teleports you behind your enemy. I read it somewhere on a reputable site but cant remember, besides its common knowledge now.
#7calimann83Posted 10/25/2011 12:37:44 PM
I understand that there needs to be some sort of fast travel system, I just wish it wasnít so easy to use. In oblivion it made the map feel so small because it didnít cost you anything to go anywhere. I donít even remember it costing a realistic amount of game time. In morowwind if you wanted to cross the map, it was a big deal. You had to prepare, bring what you wanted with you and going was a journey. In oblivion it was just a few clicks and it was all done, no work at all. Fast travel somehow made a 16 square mile map seem smaller than an 8 square mile map. I know they have now revised it a bit, but it still doesnít seem that much better.

Okay, rant over. I just would like to see a fast travel system that actually cost you something, time (like days) money, maybe only allows fast travel from a certain point to a certain point. Here si just a basic idea

I like the idea of having it attached to your level. For example, you unlock fast travel at lvl 10. Maybe even have a tier 1 FT (unlock at level 10), Tier 2 FT (unlocked at level 25) and Tier 3 Fast travel (unlock at lvl 45?). At tier one you can only fast travel from a road/path to POI that is also off the road. And it cost you X amount of gold and time. Tier 2 you can now fast travel while off the road, but only to POIís that are along a road/path and it now cost X -25% gold. Tier 3 would be very similar to the normal FT and would cost X -50% gold. A simpler option would be to limit how far you can fast travel, like a radius.

Anyways, my point is that there are other options to just putting in a fast travel system that just lets you go wherever, whenever.
---
PSN: VipCk
#8zegram33Posted 10/25/2011 12:46:24 PM
simply put, no
have you ever tried to do a run through of oblivion without fast travel?
i tried, to see more of what the developers had put in, but gave up when i realised more than half of my time was being spent wandering around empty fields.
again, it worked in morrowind because you could just fly to where you were headed.
If we're going to limit it, id say add in a limitation that you can only fast travel to civilization.
so, you can go to the nearest town to your target, bu have to walk from there (assuming they have more towns than the seven odd they put in oblivion.
im fine with it how it is though, to be honest.
if you dont like fast travel, either dont use it at all or physically limit yourself to something like my idea above, and only travel to towns
#9KingofDeceit666Posted 10/25/2011 12:47:24 PM
calimann83 posted...
I understand that there needs to be some sort of fast travel system, I just wish it wasnít so easy to use. In oblivion it made the map feel so small because it didnít cost you anything to go anywhere. I donít even remember it costing a realistic amount of game time. In morowwind if you wanted to cross the map, it was a big deal. You had to prepare, bring what you wanted with you and going was a journey. In oblivion it was just a few clicks and it was all done, no work at all. Fast travel somehow made a 16 square mile map seem smaller than an 8 square mile map. I know they have now revised it a bit, but it still doesnít seem that much better.

Okay, rant over. I just would like to see a fast travel system that actually cost you something, time (like days) money, maybe only allows fast travel from a certain point to a certain point. Here si just a basic idea

I like the idea of having it attached to your level. For example, you unlock fast travel at lvl 10. Maybe even have a tier 1 FT (unlock at level 10), Tier 2 FT (unlocked at level 25) and Tier 3 Fast travel (unlock at lvl 45?). At tier one you can only fast travel from a road/path to POI that is also off the road. And it cost you X amount of gold and time. Tier 2 you can now fast travel while off the road, but only to POIís that are along a road/path and it now cost X -25% gold. Tier 3 would be very similar to the normal FT and would cost X -50% gold. A simpler option would be to limit how far you can fast travel, like a radius.

Anyways, my point is that there are other options to just putting in a fast travel system that just lets you go wherever, whenever.

Make something optional and people still find something to complain about.

You've never had to use fast travel. It's optional. If you want the world to seem as big as it is, then hoof it everywhere, rather than abuse something that's been implemented to make the game less tedious for those who don't enjoy walking for a half hour to get to some random cave.
---
"Such a lot the gods gave to me--to me, the dazed, the disappointed; the barren, the broken."~H.P. Lovecraft
#10crazyj10Posted 10/25/2011 1:37:58 PM
Fast travel is somewhat necessary. Like others have said, things would get old fast without it. I always fast traveled in Fallout 3 and New Vegas because there was really nothing to see (More so in New Vegas, I think there's not much to explore compared to 3).

Putting a monetary cost on it, or something similar, would hinder you at the beginning and make it harder to get in to. While playing Oblivion, and I'm sure Skyrim too, there were times when I fast traveled, and times when I explored. It's nice to explore and see the world, but it's great to fast travel when you don't feel like exploring and just want to get **** done.
---
"What makes me a good demo-man?If I were a bad demo-man, I wouldn't be sittin' here, discussin' it with you now would I?"