How to Cast Spells for 0 Magicka (NOT a cheat)

#1MegaShadowZXPosted 11/26/2011 11:16:09 AM
It goes without saying that magic has been vastly improved in Skyrim. For those playing as a pure mage build, however, there is nothing worse than running out of magicka in the middle of combat without any potions or alternatives. I recently discovered, however, that you can reduce the cost of casting a spell from any school of magicka by 100%. In other words, you can cast a spells from a given school of magic for 0 magicka, giving you infinite use of it. Furthermore, I believe I have discovered a way to reduce the cost of casting ALL spells from EVERY school of magic by 100%. Read on to find out.

**Note: this technique does not involve glitches, cheating, mods, or anything contrary to the rules of the game. It does, however, require a skill of 100 in enchanting. If you are not patient enough to get to 100 enchanting, there are experience exploits, but I will not discuss those here.

At level 100 enchanting, with all 5 levels of the enchanter perk unlocked, the insightful enchanter perk, and using a grand soul gem filled with a grand soul, an item can be enchanted to reduce <school of magic> cost by 25%.

The fortify school of magic enchantment (which reduces the cost of casting a spell) can be enchanted on head gear (helmets, circlets, hoods), neck gear (amulets, necklaces), rings, and chest gear (robes, armor, shirts, etc.).

With an amulet, a helmet, a ring, and a robe all enchanted with the fortify <school of magic> with the aforementioned perks and leveling will produce four different items of clothing that each reduce the cost of casting a spell within that school of magic by 25%.

Since this bonus stacks, by wearing all four of these items at the same time, the cost of casting a spell within that school of magicka is reduced by 100%.

In other words, if you chose to enchant these with fortify destruction, then you could cast destruction spells for 0 magicka. You could endlessly cast wall of flames without your magicka meter draining even an inch.

Furthermore, with the extra effect perk, you can add two effects to each item of clothing. Since adding two effects does not weaken the strength of either enchantment, you could theoretically reduce the cost of casting a spell within two different schools of magicka by 100%.

For a mage, the two most useful would be restoration and destruction, so you could keep healing yourself or hold up a ward while blasting the enemy with destruction spells, and all the while you wouldn't consume any magicka. Your magicka would regenerate as normal.

[ 1 /2 -- Please DO NOT POST until I am finished]
---
Real guitarists don't care what their average multiplier is...
#2PapaRosario23Posted 11/26/2011 11:18:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3MegaShadowZX(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2011 11:19:13 AM
Now here's where I need your help...

Here are some things that I have not tested but am curious to see what effects they would have.

It is a known glitch that you can wear a falmer helmet and a circlet at the same time, effectively allowing you to wear two pieces if headwear at the same time. This would increase the number of possible fortify <school of magic> enchantments from 8 to 10. This would mean that you could reduce the cost of casting spells by 100% and then a third school of magic by 50%. Or you could reduce the cost of casting spells from two schools of magic by 75% and a third school of magic by 100%.

But, is there a way to reduce the cost of casting spells from each school of magic by 100%, so that we could cast ALL SPELLS for FREE? I believe there is.

Assuming you were level 100 in each school of magic and acquired all of the necessary perks so that you could cast all spells from that school of magic for 50% less magicka, we would only need to reduce the cost of each school of magic by 50% instead of 100%. Since there are five different schools of magic and (assuming we use the falmer helmet/circlet exploit) ten different enchantment slots, we could create gear that reduces the cost of casting a spell from each of the five schools of magic by 50% (so long as each piece of armor has different enchantments on it; for example, you couldn't place two fortify destruction enchantments on one chest plate, you would have to put one on the chest plate and another on the circlet, or some other piece of equipment).

Our gear would reduce the cost of casting spells from each school of magic by 50%.
Our perks would further reduce the cost of casting spells from each school of magic by 50%.

Since these bonuses stack, the cost of casting spells from each school of magic would be reduced by 100%. In other words, all spells would cost 0 magicka, which means you could effectively cast spells for free.

[2/2 -- I am now done, feel free to post]
---
#4kkeevvPosted 11/26/2011 11:22:21 AM(edited)
The perk reduction stacks multiplicatively or not at all, so the perks aren't going to help you hit the 100% reduction.

Also, is it cold in here, or is it just me?
#5PapaRosario23Posted 11/26/2011 11:22:58 AM
MegaShadowZX posted...
Assuming you were level 100 in each school of magic and acquired all of the necessary perks so that you could cast all spells from that school of magic for 50% less magicka, we would only need to reduce the cost of each school of magic by 50% instead of 100%. Since there are five different schools of magic and (assuming we use the falmer helmet/circlet exploit) ten different enchantment slots, we could create gear that reduces the cost of casting a spell from each of the five schools of magic by 50% (so long as each piece of armor has different enchantments on it; for example, you couldn't place two fortify destruction enchantments on one chest plate, you would have to put one on the chest plate and another on the circlet, or some other piece of equipment).

This is not how it works. Perks do not stack with equipment additively. They stack with perks multiplicatively. 50% from perks and 50% from gear would result in 25% casting cost.
---
Your mother is so fat that the recursive function computing her mass causes a stack overflow.
#6PapaRosario23Posted 11/26/2011 11:23:42 AM
kkeevv posted...
Also, is it cold in here, or is it just me?

It actually is quite cold in here. I feel quite chilly myself.
---
Your mother is so fat that the recursive function computing her mass causes a stack overflow.
#7MegaShadowZX(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2011 11:27:18 AM
Thanks PapaRosario, I wasn't sure if the perks stacked multiplicatively or cumulatively. In that case, do you know if we can increase the amount that each spell is reduced by using a very strong potion of fortify enchantment?

I am curious that if I create a very strong potion of fortify enchantment how it would affect these enchantments. Seeing as how the strongest potion of enchantment that is possible to create increases the strength of enchantments by 29% (even if the potion says it is greater than that, you cannot fortify enchantment or smithing past 29%, it's a built-in cap), could we increase the effects further to allow us to cast up to three schools of magic without using magicka?

Since we normally decrease the cost of casting a spell from a certain school of magic by 25%, if we use said potion to increase the enchantment's power by 29%, would we be able to increase the power of the enchantment to reduce cost of casting a spell from a certain school of magic by 32% (.25*1.29 = .3225)?

**Note: I am not sure if you need to enchant five pieces of gear (using the falmer helmet/circlet exploit) that fortify alchemy and then create a fortify alchemy potion and consume it first to create a potion of fortify enchantment powerful enough to do this; testing is needed.

Using the previously mentioned glitch that allows one to equip a falmer helmet and a circlet at the same time, couldn't we then enchant this equipment with our improved enchantment, allowing us ten different enchantments that reduce the cost of casting a spell from a certain school of magic by 32% each? If that's true, we could reduce the cost of casting a spell from THREE DIFFERENT schools of magic by 96%, and we'd still have one enchantment slot remaining, which we could then use to either increase one of these schools past 100% reduction or reduce the cost of a fourth school by 32%.
---
#8mizukage2Posted 11/26/2011 11:30:30 AM
Perks and equipment sadly don't stack like that.

Also, have you taken a look at the enchantment that reduces all spell costs by X percent? I'm not sure if you can stack enough of them together to get a 100% discount, though.
---
http://gerardwhyte.net/images/misc/reaganomics.jpg
http://images1.dailykos.com/i/user/123/Tea_party_vs_occupy.jpg
#9MegaShadowZX(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2011 11:32:08 AM
I'm not sure what the maximum is on the reduce the cost of casting all spells by x percent. Perhaps by fortifying enchanting using the above method one could create a set of gear that reduces the cost of all spells by a very large percentage. However, I am not sure which gear that effect can be applied to.
---
#10MegaShadowZX(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2011 11:42:39 AM
And if my earlier post was true, and PapaRosario is correct about the perks stacking multiplicatively, if you have armor that reduces the cost of casting each school of magic by 64% (by using a very good potion of fortify enchanting), the perks would reduce that cost by 50%, making the cost of casting all spells reduced by another 32% (.50*.64 = .32). Therefore, the cost of casting all spells would be reduced by 96%, which is very nearly nothing.

Does anyone know if the potion of fortify enchanting will work?
---