The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Strange Amulet/necromancer's Amulet bug

#1Sin JackalPosted 12/3/2011 2:57:55 AM
Figured I'd post this for anyone who didn't complete the quest "Blood on the Ice" yet, since the quest reward is bugged. I'll post as spoiler-free a description here as I can, but the small spoiler I'll be giving will help you circumvent the bug, so you might want to read it anyway even if you don't want to be spoiled.

During the quest "Blood on the Ice" in Windhelm, you can find a "Strange Amulet" in the house Hjerm. Picking it up seems to be optional, and not required to complete the quest. It's hidden under some papers, but it sticking out from underneath them a little.

If you speak to a guard, he will tell you that you can sell it to Calixto, since he likes to buy oddities. Later in the quest, you're told that the Strange Amulet is actually the Necromancer's Amulet. Once you get it back from Calixto, it will be enchanted with some nice stats (+50 magicka, conjuration spells 25% cheaper to cast, and some other stuff).

The bug of course, is twofold. 1: If you don't pick up the amulet then complete the quest, you don't get the Necromancer's Amulet, and you never can. If you did pick up the amulet, got told about what it really is, but never sold it to Calixto, it never becomes the Necromancer's Amulet. Which I believe is a bug, seeing as how it's the same item.

In any case, the quest is long, and pretty drawn out, and the reward is complete crap if you don't get the Necromancer's Amulet. So it's fairly obvious the amulet is the real quest reward. There's no dialouge option to turn the amulet into the Necromancer's Amulet, and no way to take the Strange Amulet out of your inventory after the quest is done.

So beware of this. Not sure if Bethesda will ever patch it either.
#2NazhaPosted 12/3/2011 2:59:44 AM
Yeh its now in my inventory indefinitely. At least it doesnt weigh all that much...
#3Sin Jackal(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2011 3:32:09 AM
Same here. Too bad we both missed out on it turning into the useful Necromancer's Amulet. Seriously, the game makes you think you're giving the amulet away, so nobody's gonna do that when they can just kepe it. . .and only by throwing it away basically, do you get it back in it's real form? Makes no sense.

There should've been an option for the court mage to turn it onto the Necromancer's Amulet after the quest was done imo. Would easily fix the issue.
#4ssjremukoPosted 12/3/2011 5:31:29 AM
ah darn. just did this. thought i might need it to finish the quest so i didnt sell it. never got told what it was and now i cant get rid of it. lame. =\
---
Head Recruit of the Cult of Gilgamesh!
Official Maria of the Duodecim Boards