So it seems when I make a new character my old one is deleted

#1JoltPosted 12/8/2011 9:43:26 AM
I just lost a level 43 character with 100 smithing 100 enchanting 90some one hand 70 destruction and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I normally keep one manual save file, and then there are the 3 autosaves. I started a new character yesterday and play for a while then I saved and got off. A short while later I decided to play my old character only to find the save files were all gone. No, I did not overwrite them.

I decided to try recreating the problem so I made a 3rd character. I did not do ANY manual save for the third character. I started it and got to th part where you create/name your person. I did this then it autosaved and I quit. When I went to load up my manual save for my 2nd character it was gone.

This is a huge problem. The autosave from a new character overwrites my manual save. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm so frustrated. I put so much time into that character and it's all gone.
---
"I feel so dirty busting loads in my grandma's house though..." -FlamingNun
#2CutterDeBlancPosted 12/8/2011 9:49:28 AM
I just load the system save where your name is still "Prisoner" when I want to start a new game. I remember Oblivion had this same problem.
---
No habla espaņol.
#3ElyonPosted 12/8/2011 9:52:19 AM(edited)
Make more than one save file. It won't overwrite all of your save files.

But yes, this is a well documented issue. And very annoying.
---
Cyril: Not so innocent.
The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.
#4VincentTacticsPosted 12/8/2011 9:52:13 AM
I had the same thing happen to me.

I'm not sure, but my theory is that you may have used the first autosave (the one at the very beginning that is always created even if you turn autosave off) as your manual save overwrite. Thus, starting a new game overwrote that save file.
#5saintkdPosted 12/8/2011 10:02:01 AM
I currently have 2 characters just fine. I know to save outside of auto save more than once and not on the original save slot.

I never had this problem in oblivion either as it was only autosaves that got overwritten in oblivion.
---
Let me just pull the answer to slavery and exploitation right out of my ass. Seeing as I have the resources and money to do so. IronSparkSword
#6FredtheBumPosted 12/8/2011 10:19:16 AM
I'm soooooooo proud of this topic right now almost 2 pages an no one as called anyone any names!
#7Eclipsed_FirePosted 12/8/2011 10:23:35 AM
It didn't happen to me. I've been playing two different characters with no problem whatsoever.
---
PSN ID: Sacrifice87 XBL GT: Sano808
"Have no fear of perfection-you'll never reach it." -Salvador Dali
#8Mountaintop884Posted 12/8/2011 10:25:02 AM
From what I understand. That prisoner file looks like manual save file but is a auto save. If u make a manual save over that file ur screwed if u create a new character.
#9EedrahPosted 12/8/2011 10:31:04 AM(edited)
^ this

As long as you create 1 or more new save files per character, they won't be deleted, I have 5 different characters....
#10FredtheBumPosted 12/8/2011 10:31:51 AM
Eedrah posted...
^ this

As long as you create 1 or more new saves per character, they won't be deleted, I have 5 different characters....

On the contraire I had 3 manual saves once and started a new charac. But on top of all the autosaves being overwritten it corrupted the 3 hard saves.