What's this enchanting iron daggers thing all about?

#1lemonade12345Posted 12/21/2011 6:14:35 PM
I've heard about it as a good way to raise enchantment/smithing and get money. What's it about? I don't really know much about enchantment...
---
Signature
#2rasputin177Posted 12/21/2011 6:19:09 PM
Its pretty simple. Use Iron Ore and Leather Strips at a forge to make Iron Daggers. Then go to an Enchant station and use Petty or Lesser Soul Gems. The Daggers will only be around 25 if not Enchanted but like 200 if Enchanted. This is a great way to level three skills. Speech, Smithing and Enchant. You also make a nice profit. It is kind of power gaming though.
#3AstroshakPosted 12/21/2011 6:20:29 PM
It relies upon having a lot of filled Soul Gems, and access to a good weapon Enchantment (namely, Banish, whih at 57 I've yet to find in stores anywhere).

Basically, buy your Iron Ingots and Iron Ores (and turn those Ores into Ingots using the Smelter in Whiterun) along with whatever supplemental Iron Ores you can mine, and also get a bunch of Leathers (bought or hunted) and turn them into Leather Strips (or just buy the Strips). Make Iron Daggers out of the Iron Ingots and Leather Strips.

Then take out your stash of filled Soul Gems, go to an enchanting station and start enchanting those iron daggers with the best enchantment (as indicated by the expected price of the thing, higher = better) and then sell the enchanted iron daggers.

To boost your Speech as much as possible, be sure to buy and sell everything individually. If the vendor has 10 Iron Ingots, buy them one at a time, instead of all 10 at once.
#4AstroshakPosted 12/21/2011 6:22:14 PM
rasputin177 posted...
Its pretty simple. Use Iron Ore and Leather Strips at a forge to make Iron Daggers. Then go to an Enchant station and use Petty or Lesser Soul Gems. The Daggers will only be around 25 if not Enchanted but like 200 if Enchanted. This is a great way to level three skills. Speech, Smithing and Enchant. You also make a nice profit. It is kind of power gaming though.

With 100 speech, and with the perk that gets me better prices from someone of the other gender, I was only getting under 10 gold per unenchanted iron dagger. Not sure where you get that 25 per unenchanted iron dagger from.
#5rasputin177Posted 12/21/2011 6:28:36 PM
Haha ok. It was an estimate. No one is going to be making Iron Daggers to try and make money. Your answer was very clear and informative. But there is no need to be petty and nitpick to try and be superior. Your response already was.
#6rasputin177Posted 12/21/2011 6:31:54 PM
Plus, there are so many things that go into how much you get per dagger. It very well could be more then 10 I will check tonight. Gear, potions, perks, and such all attribute to the price. For example going to a vendor of the opposite sex will make you more money with the right perk.
#7TOmaninblackPosted 12/21/2011 7:30:43 PM
The reason people feel it's so broken is that you level smithing for every third dagger or so. Iron ingots are cheap as all get out, and iron deposits are everywhere.

I use leather armor for my leveling. Not quite so quick, as it takes around four sets to level at lower levels, but you get crafting credit for making it and then more for upgrading it. And it uses only leather, which everything on four legs in Skyrim seems intent on giving you for a couple of sword strokes.

For money, though, daggers is the way to go. for 5 gold worth of iron and some (probably) free leather strips, you make a dagger. Make three and you've leveled smithing.

Enchant the daggers with the cheapest gems you can get. The best enchantments I've found are, in order of least to best

Fear

Soul trap

Turn undead (very little markup from soul trap)

Banish.

At moderate speech levels, most vendors won't be able to afford more than one dagger. I was getting 650 or so each until my enchanting leveled and I perked it to almost double that. Far greater profit to material ratio than anything else I've been able to find.

I found a banish bow in a dungeon (Mzulft, I think) in a chest. My son found one in a different dwarven dungeon. There's supposed to be various banish weapons available for under 2K and up somewhere around Solitude.

Still, even if you can't find banish, turn undead weapons are fairly common and net a still tidy profit. Soul trap is also very good, and those are everywhere. So you have to sell two daggers for the same money? Make more, they're cheap.
#8jkohyaPosted 12/23/2011 8:27:57 PM
If you see a banish weapon at the shop buy it, even if you can barely afford it.

it makes iron daggers about 2k gold with a petty soul gem with no speech enhancements you will get 700ish gold per iron dagger

so when you blow through 50 daggers to level smithing a bit then enchant them all you will more than making up for the materials bought. which means that you can rest 48 and keep buying materials (i used whiterun since there are two blacksmiths) and then just sell the daggers after you buy the mats.

I try to get this enchantment on all my characters now because even with no enchantment perks it is a great money maker
#9tobruk545Posted 12/23/2011 8:32:51 PM
as others have said, get the banish enchant, even if you dont have 100 in enchanting this is by far the best enchant for making money. Also iron daggers experience rewarded for making doesnt adjust like most other items when making it so you get the same all the way up to 100. This is by far the best way to make money and get easy skill perks. Just becareful as if you raise these to 100 there are some creatures that will go off of that and you could get slaughtered. Would be wise to do this around lvl 15 or 20 so you have some perks in your style of fighting.
---
"This town deserves a better class of criminal, and I'm going to give it to them." - the Joker
#10Last Grand MageX2Posted 12/23/2011 10:12:44 PM
the absorb enchants are the best for money making short of banish. Banish is just unfair as you'll be selling iron daggers for over a grand each. Once you have the banish enchantment, money completely stops being a problem in any way,
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch