best ranged follower?

#113thGamerPosted 1/3/2012 8:15:23 AM
I was attacked by an ancient dragon today, and found myself at a disadvantage because this mofo would not land for crap. At most, he'd land on a rooftop and breathe fire in my face. Had he landed on the ground, he would have found himself dead in about three seconds. He wouldn't land though, so I didn't have the pleasure of killing him. Now, I'm looking to recruit an archer (or any long range follower) to aid me in ranged combat. I've had Aela as a follower before, and since she provides training in archery, I would assume that she would use a bow as her primary, but I've noticed that she instead favors the sword.
Who then, would be a preferable follower if I was looking for someone who focuses on using ranged combat skills? Thank you in advance for any replies.
#2FLAWLESSCROWNSPosted 1/3/2012 8:23:15 AM
There's Janessa in Whiterun (bow) and Mercutirittitrototo in the tavern in Riften (mage).
---
http://www.damnlol.com/pics/225/41648574c040cb4ff5fa052369c63dc5.gif
#3KamuiFeiPosted 1/3/2012 8:46:07 AM

You have Aela, Faendal, Jenassa who specialize in ranged. Maricutio (sp?), the non-trainer College mages, and the dark elf chick at Azura's Shrine (who is apparently one of the best caster followers you can have). But you have to do their quests/ pay them to follow you. Or just give a melee follower a decent bow, they'll use it against dragons. I was surprised how good Lydia is with a decent, enchanted bow.

#4SpurnerPosted 1/3/2012 8:51:28 AM
KamuiFei posted...
I was surprised how good Lydia is with a decent, enchanted bow.

How did you get Lydia to use a different bow? Every time I give her one she resorts to using her stock one. Am I missing something obvious?
#513thGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2012 9:13:58 AM
Spurner posted...
KamuiFei posted...

How did you get Lydia to use a different bow? Every time I give her one she resorts to using her stock one. Am I missing something obvious?

This. I gave Aela the best bow she's probably ever seen in her life, and she uses her default bow when ever she does resort to using it
#6Colinp42Posted 1/3/2012 9:26:09 AM
I've never had that problem, but why not just take away whatever you don't want her to use?
---
How appropriate, you fight like a cow!
#7KamuiFeiPosted 1/3/2012 9:28:42 AM

13thGamer posted...
Spurner posted...
KamuiFei posted...

This. I gave Aela the best bow she's probably ever seen in her life, and she uses her default bow when ever she does resort to using it

Hmmm, I honestly couldn't tell you, I gave Lydia a Dwarven Bow of Thunderbolts and she used it. I know this because my bow was not enchanted yet, and the dragon was getting hit with the violet aura. It was the only bow in her inventory. Maybe because I upgraded her armor too? Idk :(

#8GoldenBoy122Posted 1/3/2012 9:38:58 AM
Where did you get the dwarven bow?
#9SpurnerPosted 1/3/2012 9:41:47 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure what the deal is then. Even if she has nothing in her inventory besides the bow I give her, she still won't use it. Oh well, she does don the heavy armor I give her without issue. I guess she stays melee. Go get 'em, Lydia. Let's go earn more burdens for you to carry.