Guide for Avoiding Known Quest Bugs?

#1mustain2121Posted 1/9/2012 6:08:11 PM
Is there a guide that tells you which actions/quests can cause known game-breaking bugs/glitches? Like for example, killing a certain bandit leader will cause a companion quest to never start.

I found this on UESP http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Bugs_(Skyrim) but it's so cluttered, it covers all platforms and includes all bugs/glitches, not just quest related ones.

It'd be good to have something like that that people can refer to so they can avoid said actions and glitches. I've encountered at least 5 glitches like that and in some cases, I had to go back 3 hours, redo everything from that point to fix the problem.
---
PSN: mustain21
#2KingMaximus8250Posted 1/9/2012 6:12:16 PM

Copy. Paste. Claim as your own. Done.

#3Iceaxe0140Posted 1/9/2012 6:20:11 PM
Here's my guide (some spoilers):

1. Save after each quest in a separate save slot.
2. Don't do any of the Bard's College quests except for the first one (quest items will always be stuck in your inventory)
3. Don't do any quests for Jarl Skald in Dawnstar because they never leave your quest log. Alternatively, side with the Imperial legion to get him replaced as Jarl. Then do quests for the new Jarl.
4. Do the Blood on the Ice quest in Windhelm in the beginning of the game. Too many problems with getting it to start if you're well into the game.
5. Make sure you don't level up all the way to level 81 before doing the Wolf Queen quest in Solitude. The second part of this quest is triggered by a level up (getting a courier to show up). If you do the first part of the quest at level 81, you'll never be able to do the second part.
6. Don't have more than one Glenmoril witch head in your inventory when you do quests for the Companions. (you can still take all four heads, just leave three in a container at home if you do).

Other things:

1. Don't pick up quest items in a dungeon if you don't have a quest for it.
2. Don't kill named npcs unless if you know it's safe to do so.
#4mustain2121(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2012 6:23:03 PM
Iceaxe0140 posted...

1. Save after each quest in a separate save slot.
2. Don't do any of the Bard's College quests except for the first one (quest items will always be stuck in your inventory)
3. Don't do any quests for Jarl Skald in Dawnstar because they never leave your quest log. Alternatively, side with the Imperial legion to get him replaced as Jarl. Then do quests for the new Jarl.
4. Do the Blood on the Ice quest in Windhelm in the beginning of the game. Too many problems with getting it to start if you're well into the game.
5. Make sure you don't level up all the way to level 81 before doing the Wolf Queen quest in Solitude. The second part of this quest is triggered by a level up (getting a courier to show up). If you do the first part of the quest at level 81, you'll never be able to do the second part.
6. Don't have more than one Glenmoril witch head in your inventory when you do quests for the Companions. (you can still take all four heads, just leave three in a container at home if you do).

Other things:

2. Don't kill named npcs unless if you know it's safe to do so.

Awesome man, thank you. That's a good start. This is exactly what I had in mind. I'm sure more can be added to it by other users.
---
#5TOmaninblackPosted 1/9/2012 6:33:26 PM

That one's tricky.

For most of them, if it's a named item (Whoever's Flute for example), and you haven't been sent for it, leave it alone.

For others... You'd need a list of books not to pick up unless you're asked, or unless you want to embark upon a particular, non-refusable questline.

Also, don't pick up any unusual gems unless you're planning on doing the thieves guild questline. Same for curious silver mold.

They really needed to make quests bailable. I'd even settle for a Microsoft-like "are you sure you want to drop this quest item?" window that you'd have to click. Locking you in to a questline because you spoke to the wrong person or picked up the wrong book blows every bit as much as locking you OUT of a questline because you picked up the wrong item or searched the wrong body. (both of which will glitch you out of finishing/starting quests).
#6dr_doePosted 1/9/2012 8:45:07 PM
The companions quest is glitched on some and not others, two brothers have had different experiences with the same disc. I for one am glitched on "blood's honor" and there's no way to fix this, dropping all but one head is impossible because it's a quests item and just grabbing one head also doesn't work. The only way I've been able to "work around" this was by killing one of them from the shadows and that "resets" them so you can at least start doing there side quests which are pretty boring anyway.... Because of this I also have 2 other quests that are glitched(Shalidor's writing, clear out driftsahde) and of course the rest of the companions quest line. Sure hope they fix these at some point.

I've completed quests randomly while searching caves or doing other quests so I know you don't have to take extreme caution, just check the boards and keep an eye on the major ones.
#7mustain2121(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2012 9:12:47 PM
dr_doe posted...
The companions quest is glitched on some and not others, two brothers have had different experiences with the same disc. I for one am glitched on "blood's honor" and there's no way to fix this, dropping all but one head is impossible because it's a quests item and just grabbing one head also doesn't work. The only way I've been able to "work around" this was by killing one of them from the shadows and that "resets" them so you can at least start doing there side quests which are pretty boring anyway.... Because of this I also have 2 other quests that are glitched(Shalidor's writing, clear out driftsahde) and of course the rest of the companions quest line. Sure hope they fix these at some point.

I've completed quests randomly while searching caves or doing other quests so I know you don't have to take extreme caution, just check the boards and keep an eye on the major ones.

I had to restart that quest altogether and the only thing I did different was not bother with the optional quest, i.e. don't even bother killing the other witches. I killed the first one I found, took her head and got out of there. Everything worked fine after that.

There are so many things I didn't know about, like the quest you shouldn't do if you're already at lv81 as one poster above pointed out. I already completed the main bard college quest where you burn the effigy so it's too late to go back and avoid completing it.

I guess there are lots of other quests I will have to do with using a 3rd character build because with my main character it's already too late to avoid certain glitches. Plus my main build has a whopping 16 MB save file so it's getting pretty unplayable outdoors.

Thanks for all those who contributed something useful so far. Keep it coming.
---