Am I the only one that sided with the blades? (Spoilers)

#1chughes724Posted 4/13/2012 8:28:31 PM
I see their motivation for wanting Paarthurnax dead, he killed many people along with Alduin and the other dragons years before, and eventually betrayed him. While he says that he has repented, they believe it's possible that he could betray you in turn, thus you should eliminate a potential threat. Even Paarthurnax says that every day he is tempted to return to Alduin's side, that makes me think that it is more likely than not. Personally, I'd rather get rid of a potential threat before I regret it. Not to mention his name means Ambition Overlord Cruelty. Thoughts?
#2SystemFolderPosted 4/13/2012 8:31:08 PM
I haven't gotten to that part yet, but if there's any benefit then I'll probably join them.
#3Pitbuller_26Posted 4/13/2012 8:37:56 PM
Paarthurnax: "Is it better to be born good or to overcome your evil nature?"
---
http://i.imgur.com/fNERH.gif http://i.imgur.com/0MN9i.gif http://i.imgur.com/vuPpy.gif
#4x_BraveryPosted 4/13/2012 9:06:57 PM
Pitbuller_26 posted...
Paarthurnax: "Is it better to be born good or to overcome your evil nature?"
---
Unofficially? I like Dr. Strange
#5Tad_DaintyPosted 4/13/2012 9:14:48 PM(edited)
the first time I played through the main quest, I did not. it was a role playing choice for my character (neutral or the "grey jedi" wizard I guess you could say) and the way I actually felt was right. I didn't think the Blades had any business passing judgment on this soul, or at least they should go kill him themselves if they care so much. Paarthurnax's fate wouldn't be in my hands, as long as he kept living as a monk on the mountain.

but he even said himself, it's wise to mistrust a dragon, so I was prepared to kill him if he ever became a problem. maybe it was his master plan to wait out the span of my life since only the dragonborn could crush him like a bug, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt there. I thought Delphine had a good point when she said that Paarthurnax's betrayal of Alduin doesn't make him better, it makes him worse. like the final act of Inglourious Basterds, know what I mean?

second time through the main story I was pretty much crusading against all dragons because they frustrated me on other characters. I got what I needed from the 'nax (meditation on a word of power) and cast his skeleton off the throat of the world with a fireball when I was done. for the Blades. although it felt more like a Dark Brotherhood hit...
---
"Where's me hat?"
"You bet it, mug."
#6Haduken88Posted 4/13/2012 9:09:07 PM
SystemFolder posted...
I haven't gotten to that part yet, but if there's any benefit then I'll probably join them.

You can get 3 followers to join
---
"You are a fool, I'm going to crush you and throw you into the wind" -Vegeta
#7Iceaxe0140Posted 4/13/2012 9:09:54 PM
The thing about the blade's argument is that it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me:

1. As the dragonborn you could kill him anytime you want. This means, if he does happen to go rogue, all you have to do is go and kill him. It's not like he's Alduin and will end the world.

2. He helped out the people by teaching them the Way of the Voice. If it weren't for him, everyone would probably still be worshiping Alduin and the dragons. He was the dragon that liberated the people and taught them how to shout. True he's killed many people, but he's also done a lot of good. He continues to redeem himself by helping the Greybeards.

3. What are the blade's going to do if you don't kill Paarthurnax? You're the freaking dragonborn, the only person in the world that can truly kill dragons by absorbing their souls. I'm sorry, but they should be listening to what the dragonborn wants to do, not what they want.

4. They don't even know the blades that were killed by Paarthurnax since they weren't even born. All they have to go by is old records from books. Maybe they were being jerks and attacked him indiscriminately so he was forced to kill them.
#8DjmosPosted 4/13/2012 10:29:53 PM(edited)
I think the Blades efforts are better focused on the true threat.... the Dreaded Thalmore!

not some dragon that had the balls to stand against his own kind and be the first to sympathize with the humanoids. He is like the Oscar Schindler of the dragons.
#9SlipSkullPosted 4/13/2012 11:34:00 PM
Side with the blades!?

Heck no! That would be like stabbing Gandalf the grey in the chest!
...would you stab Gandalf in the chest?
---
Panda Pounce!
PSN: Rhaazerus
#10WillCurriePosted 4/14/2012 12:51:13 AM
SlipSkull posted...
Side with the blades!?

Heck no! That would be like stabbing Gandalf the grey in the chest!
...would you stab Gandalf in the chest?

I would not, sir!!
---
Proud Member of YKDDP