So, crossbows, yeah?

#1foggiecbcPosted 4/28/2012 7:00:01 AM
So will they be working off the archery skill, or do you think we'll have a whole new perk tree to raise the level cap with?
---
Solidus9 wrote
"Why would he have a dogtag of his own name?"
#2SPMcKinneyPosted 4/28/2012 7:15:41 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't be in the same tree, but spears I think they'd have to have their own (still don't know if either are even gonna be added)
---
Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur! :: "Today is a good day for someone else to die!"
GT & PSN: SPMcKinney [Don't have a PS3 though :-( ]
#3HyperShadow4321Posted 4/28/2012 7:52:35 AM
Probably just the Archery tree, it'd be silly to add a whole new skill. If anything, they might add a few Crossbow-specific perks. As far as Spears (if they're ever added), then I would say they would probably get thrown under the One-Handed/Two-Handed tree (depending on what they would be), and maybe with some Spear-specific perks added under those trees.
#4SteminPosted 4/28/2012 12:24:04 PM
I don't know how anyone can be excited about this? I can't see any functional difference between this and a bow outside of a different animation and quicker releases. Obviously better damage, but what do you need that for when the game is already quite easy combat wise?

I certainly don't see it making me want to play the game any longer than I would have.
#5DocDeliciousPosted 4/28/2012 1:05:46 PM
Yah I'm not terribly enthused about the whole Crossbows thing.

Just as an update however...I've been watching the Beth forums the past day or two an they are instantly shutting down any topics about the DLC notes in 1.5 and any talk about Snow Elves, Crossbows and Vampires. Which pretty much confirms everything. They did the exact same thing when the Elder Scrolls Online, Skyrim, and Oblivion DLC info was leaked.
Makes it pretty obvious when just a while ago threads speculating about new weapon types and vampire upgrades etc were a daily thing and now no one is even allowed to think about it.
---
I'm not a man, I'm a weapon in human form. Just unsheathe me and point me at the enemy.
#6BabotzPosted 4/28/2012 6:34:12 PM
I'm sure spears would be under Two-Handed, HyperShadow.

Also

I don't know how anyone can be excited about this? I can't see any functional difference between this and a bow outside of a different animation and quicker releases. Obviously better damage, but what do you need that for when the game is already quite easy combat wise?

Elder Scrolls is more about the environment and lore than the difficulty of the combat situations. Cross bows will deepen the experience for role playing which is the ultimate goal.
#7Haduken88Posted 4/28/2012 7:58:22 PM
Babotz posted...
I'm sure spears would be under Two-Handed, HyperShadow.

Also
Elder Scrolls is more about the environment and lore than the difficulty of the combat situations. Cross bows will deepen the experience for role playing which is the ultimate goal.

the books are boring the combat is button mashing the difficulty is a joke the graphics are ok
but what is this 'role playing' that you speek of?
i have a life and only play about 2 hours a month since mid-december if that helps
---
"You are a fool, I'm going to crush you and throw you into the wind" -Vegeta
#8InafkingPosted 4/28/2012 8:20:28 PM
If more fights took place in the overworld, I'd do another 100 hours for a spear / Odahviing build. (FF Dragoon)
---
their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout Save us! and I'll whisper No.
#9habbox77Posted 4/28/2012 8:33:58 PM

I don't know if haduken is serious or not but I'll explain role playing anyways: 

when your playing the game you actually act and dress appropriate to the context of specific quests and stuff e.g. when you are doing the DB questline you aren't mercilessly killing everything in sight with full Daedric armor and a battleaxe, you actually dress in the dark brotherhood armor and use stealth to swiftly assassinate targets. 
another example: your siding with the imperials in the Civil War questline so you are wearing imperial armor and using an imperial sword and shield.

#10BabotzPosted 4/29/2012 8:55:36 AM

the books are boring the combat is button mashing the difficulty is a joke the graphics are ok
but what is this 'role playing' that you speek of?
i have a life and only play about 2 hours a month since mid-december if that helps

Well, I'd hazard a guess and say that everyone on here has a life otherwise they wouldn't be able to post anything. That ignorant remark carries no weight at all.

Also habbox had a good explanation on role playing
Role playing doesn't require one to spend unhealthy amounts of time playing a game. It immerses one into the world of TES (or whatever other game one may be playing). You can be anything you want in the game and match your playstyle to that character type: monk with only hand to hand/restoration/alchemy/etc; thief with speechcraft/sneak/daggers only; anything.

And regarding your opinion of the books....well, that's your opinion; sorry you don't enjoy lore, but it seems that the majority of TES players do.

On the combat topic. You say it's button mashing...well it doesn't have to be. You're the one mashing buttons; the game isn't forcing you to blindly swing your sword/axe/hammer.

Finally "the difficulty is a joke"...I just said in the post that you quoted that TES isn't about being an incredibly difficult combat experience.