Skyrim is hard on relationships...

#1traskmanPosted 4/28/2012 5:16:28 PM
I have been with my lady for 15 months now (well, on May 10th technically), living together for 10 months, and every time I put in my MX games she has no problems and watches me race because she knows I race at 2011 KTM 250sx (two stroke) in real life. When I put in Skyrim, however, she loses her **** about it and makes me pay for it -- whether that be from lack of sex, giving me the cold shoulder, demeaning me by calling my immature and a child, not cooking dinner (yeah, really), etc. -- she is really a pain in the ass about it. What is it about this game that has that effect on women? I mean, I can blow people away in Killzone and it is all cool, ride for hours in MX vs ATV Alive/Relfex and that is awesome, but Skyrim makes her want to strangle me and not want to be with me intimately. I haven't played it in 2 weeks because of this. I am tired of getting crap for playing a truly incredible game. Whatever. My strategy for this is have a drink, a green smoke, make some love down by the fire, and then lay with her in bed until she falls asleep. Because I have a sleeping issue -- undiagnosed -- I am able to get up with no problem at 2-3am and play Skyrim for a couple hours and get back to bed before she notices I am gone. Brilliant!

Any of you have this problem with your significant other/partner?

And don't tell me to "dump the *****." I love her way more than a video game and interaction with her is so much more beneficial and worthwhile, but I wish I could have both. Damn you extra X chromosome, damn you to hell. Or as Mr. Garrison from South Park would say, "You go to hell. You go to hell and die!" ahahaha. Please don't flag me for that....

Oh, and please keep this a mature conversation. I don't want a bunch of nerds who can't get any to answer like they have some kind of authority on this matter. No offense to most of you, but to those who stalk the Skyrim board and post pointless, immature, and inferior posts. I want to hear from those who know, at least somewhat, what they are talking about.
---
Most sports, like basketball and football, take one ball. Motocross takes two.
PSN-- KTM525rider
#2AdamskiOcelotPosted 4/28/2012 5:26:01 PM(edited)
Have you asked her why she is so bothered by it? I would put money on that being your best course of action.

Otherwise, just don't play while she's around. Relationships are full of compromise.

Personally, I wouldn't do the whole sneak out of bed thing, I think you're just asking for more trouble if you do that.

(Strange GFAQS topic...)
---
<500 GB MECH_GOUKI WINS>
PSN: Adebizi23
#3ungrethPosted 4/28/2012 5:24:43 PM
If you think Skyrim's a relationship killer, try Little Big Planet.

My obsession with that game ended my 10 year marriage :(
#4habbox77Posted 4/28/2012 5:27:08 PM

Maybe you should talk to her to see why she hates you playing this game, maybe then you can try working something out so she doesn't get so mad. It really depends on what her view on the game is, if its remotely possible try to even make her play it, alot of people have trashed Skyrim but once they play it they take all of it back and claim it's an okay game. she might just think its too overrated or something.

I've never had problems with my gf about playing skyrim, or any other game (mostly cause I am usually out with her more than I am gaming) but in the end the only thing you really can do is talk to her about it too find out the problem.

#5AdamskiOcelotPosted 4/28/2012 5:29:46 PM
Oh... My... I forgot how horrible everything was when I was LBP addicted. I think I was getting 2 hours of sleep a night for months.

I neglected EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY in persuit of the perfect LBP levels. And I never finished them.
---
<500 GB MECH_GOUKI WINS>
PSN: Adebizi23
#6DocDeliciousPosted 4/28/2012 6:38:22 PM
Yah I have similar problems...with all games though. For me I believe it's the fact that I quit drinking/tree (which I used to do with her) and pretty much replaced that with playing games more. I always did game quite a bit but it was at least separated by bouts of drinking etc. Now it's just work and playing video games.

But anyway...I just ignore her and keep playing. The way I look at it is; I pay her bills, she leaves me the f*** alone. Pretty much just given up on sex until I kick her ass out as sad as that is. I just don't have the heart to tell her to leave though.
---
I'm not a man, I'm a weapon in human form. Just unsheathe me and point me at the enemy.
#7LiquidAntagonisPosted 4/28/2012 6:46:53 PM
habbox77 posted...
Maybe you should talk to her to see why she hates you playing this game, maybe then you can try working something out so she doesn't get so mad. It really depends on what her view on the game is.

This.

Here's my theory: This game is just too consuming. It's easy to be whisked away to a place where dragons rule and everything from the outside world is just a distant memory. Maybe she feels like when you play this particular game, that she can't get you to pay her any attention?

I once had a gf who enjoyed my frustration. She'd gleefully laugh every time I died or lost a life due to her shenanigans (you know what I mean). It was like she took satisfaction in knowing that she could ruin all of my "hard work and effort" in the game with but a simple flick of the tongue...:p

But, whatever. As others have stated, you ought to just ask her straight forwardly what the deal is.
#8Tad_DaintyPosted 4/28/2012 6:50:26 PM
I think you're getting your priorities screwed up. relationships are hard on Skyrim
---
http://i42.tinypic.com/2l9tmx1.jpg
people, think about what you're doing.
#9MelTorefasPosted 4/28/2012 7:19:24 PM
I definitely think sneaking out of bed is a bad idea. if she wakes up one night and your gone, she will probably look for you.

I don`t really have this problem seeing as how my wife games as much as i do, but i agree with what someone else said. it's about compromise. just play this particular game when she isn't around, or ask her what her problem with it is.

gotta say it is kinda strange its just this one game though. my sons still ask me to play oblivion just so they could watch 0.o
#10Claimh_SoliasPosted 4/28/2012 7:31:58 PM
DocDelicious posted...
But anyway...I just ignore her and keep playing. The way I look at it is; I pay her bills, she leaves me the f*** alone. Pretty much just given up on sex until I kick her ass out as sad as that is. I just don't have the heart to tell her to leave though.

I can definitely relate here, definitely a terrible spot to be in.

My new g/f fortunately likes many types of games, and is willing to give it a try or watch me play it. Even if she doesn't like a game I like and doesn't want to watch me play it, she's cool going and doing her own thing for a while.

As the other poster stated, talk to her about it, see if she really knows anything about it, and see why she doesn't like it. But really, if she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to watch you play it, I'm sure she can find something else to do.
---
Ma num gagis aulla yor mahin syunaht yor zadius Unclench your fist, dissolve your hatred.
...Orator of Ar Ciel...