A question about fire storm.

#1VerusVetruviusPosted 5/16/2012 2:28:29 AM
Ok so I'm doing a Bosmer pure mage, investing in all the magic perks including both tiers of Augmented Fire/Frost/Shock in Destruction magic. Using Fire Storm, the menu describes it as doing a hundred and something points of damage (can't recall - 106 maybe? Let's just assume that for the purposes of the question), doing more damage to closer targets. My question is as follows; does that mean it does 106 points of damage to enemies on the edge of its area of effect, with progressively more damage the closer the enemies are to me, or it does a maximum of 106 closest to me and less at the edge of the storm? Thanks :)
#2Morpher_lordPosted 5/16/2012 2:31:07 AM
Forget about fire storm,, KAMEAMEAMEAMEAMEHAAAA!!!
#3IamI3rianPosted 5/16/2012 2:36:19 AM
A 100 point fiery explosion centered on the caster. Does more damage to closer targets:

* Cast on self; large area of effect
* Fire Storm 100, 100 pts in 100 ft
o Sets targets on fire, dealing 40% of the immediate spell damage over 4s.
* Fire Storm 65, 75 pts in 65 ft
* Fire Storm 25, 50 pts in 25 ft
* It Burns Hysteria, 99 pts for 7 secs in 100 ft; if the Intense Flames perk has been unlocked

From UESP. I THINK this means that (for example) a target within 25 feet takes 100+50+75= 225... Increased by perks etc...

In fact I'm sure of it. This is not including burn damage either, but you get the idea.
---
Remember: IamI3rian told ya
Lettuce shower made by bees. Toucan Sam that's not cheese!
#4The moonlight knightPosted 5/16/2012 3:22:31 AM
With both augmenting flames perks taken, playing on expert, at point blank range, a firestorm blast took off about half of a cave bear's health.
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#5Captain_Sexy_TPosted 5/16/2012 3:30:30 AM
For some reason the Destruction mage isn't giving me the option to learn the master spells, even though I'm at 100. Hmm.
---
PSN: Rectal_Fungi
Join Hardcore Hamburger Time! (BF3, PS3) http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241227623349/
#6VerusVetruvius(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2012 4:06:05 AM
IamI3rian posted...
A 100 point fiery explosion centered on the caster. Does more damage to closer targets:

* Cast on self; large area of effect
* Fire Storm 100, 100 pts in 100 ft
o Sets targets on fire, dealing 40% of the immediate spell damage over 4s.
* Fire Storm 65, 75 pts in 65 ft
* Fire Storm 25, 50 pts in 25 ft
* It Burns Hysteria, 99 pts for 7 secs in 100 ft; if the Intense Flames perk has been unlocked

From UESP. I THINK this means that (for example) a target within 25 feet takes 100+50+75= 225... Increased by perks etc...

In fact I'm sure of it. This is not including burn damage either, but you get the idea.

Right, that figures. I was wondering why it did such ridiculously high damage to melee-using enemies not particularly weak to fire xD

The moonlight knight posted...
For some reason the Destruction mage isn't giving me the option to learn the master spells, even though I'm at 100. Hmm.

Classic Bethesda. I haven't had that but I can well imagine how irritating it must be. That's assuming it's a bug of course - have you done the destruction ritual spell yet? It's a prerec for all master destruction spells.

Captain_Sexy_T posted...
With both augmenting flames perks taken, playing on expert, at point blank range, a firestorm blast took off about half of a cave bear's health.

Freaking great for trolls too. I love just going to Kagrenzel, gathering an irate frost troll herd along the way, using Become Ethereal and toasting the bastards. To quote Anska; "Sometimes I just like to watch them burn..."
#7VerusVetruvius(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2012 4:10:07 AM
Miserable HTML fail. Ahem, I mean;

Captain_Sexy_T posted...

The moonlight knight posted...
#8VerusVetruvius(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2012 4:14:18 AM
Morpher_lord posted...
Forget about fire storm,, KAMEAMEAMEAMEAMEHAAAA!!!

Bloody awesome spell, that. It's kinda like..."Sparks" on steroids. Which brings me to another question; is Lightning Storm affected by the "Impact" perk? because I remember using it on an Elder Dragon in another of my playthroughs, where it kept him in a stagger lock until he carked it. But I haven't had that since.
#9The moonlight knightPosted 5/16/2012 4:15:37 AM
I actually find its damage output pretty disappointing. For the setup it requires and the time it takes to cast and the magicka it costs, I'm pretty sure in basically every scenario I could do more damage, faster, to just as many enemies, for less magicka, spamming fireballs or incinerate while time is slowed.

But it has uses. Like for example, instead of using become ethereal to get a free firestorm in, use Slow Time lvl 3, drink your strongest fortify destruction potion, and repeatedly cast firestorm over and over. That should ensure nothing is alive in your immediate surroundings.

Still, I'm disappointing it's not MUCH stronger (blizzard is even worse), especially since this is the same Bethesda who gave us the Fat Man in Fallout 3. Casting a firestorm should have been as effective as firing a mini nuke. :/
---
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Croak rush, OK? Weirder, almighty make out. ::)
#10Captain_Sexy_TPosted 5/16/2012 4:17:13 AM
I have not been able to get to the Destruction ritual, the dialogue doesn't pop up. Kinda lame but I already feel super powerful using Incinerate and Thunderboltshockwhatever.
---
PSN: Rectal_Fungi
Join Hardcore Hamburger Time! (BF3, PS3) http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655241227623349/