The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Is there any way to prevent dragons from killing NPCs?

#1TrainalfPosted 8/18/2012 2:18:55 PM
I'm getting the game next week, but all my friends keep telling me I'll never complete the full game in one playthrough because dragons enjoy killing non-respawnable NPCs. I'd rather not miss out on the game. Is there any way to prevent a dragon from attacking? If not, there are no known ways of reviving NPCs? Are the developers doing anything at all on the problem?
---
PSN-Trainalf
Life sucks, deal with it.
#2PapaRosario23Posted 8/18/2012 2:25:17 PM(edited)
Easiest way to avoid dragon attacks is to not start the main quest right off the bat. Dragons don't start attacking until you do a couple of quests in the main questline.

Edit: But of course, that will also prevent you from using shouts until you get to that point in the main questline. So yeah, I guess you either have to live with the dragon attacks or live with not being able to use shouts.
---
Second Mars rover, Bicuriousity, also open to exploring Uranus
#3LtRickGreyPosted 8/18/2012 2:25:16 PM
the only way i know of is to kill them first. I don't use op weapons though so... sometimes it's dicey. At most i lose guards usually...
#4Trainalf(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 2:28:50 PM
Really? I was planning to not do the main quests right away anyway and just go out and level up and get better equipment.
---
PSN-Trainalf
#5ReaperspreyPosted 8/18/2012 2:30:20 PM
What i do is there is a town called Winterhold once a dragon spawns just fast travel there since the town is pretty empty usually all that dies in the attack is a guard.
#6PapaRosario23Posted 8/18/2012 2:31:07 PM
Really? I was planning to not do the main quests right away anyway and just go out and level up and get better equipment.

Yup. I will give you very, very slight spoilers to help you avoid it.

When you get the quest to retrieve the Dragonstone, just don't do it or don't turn in the Dragonstone immediately. Only turn it in when you're ready for the dragons to appear.
---
Second Mars rover, Bicuriousity, also open to exploring Uranus
#7TheCManatorPosted 8/18/2012 2:31:24 PM
Isn't there a system in place that will replace important npcs in case of death? I could swear i read something like that.
---
This topic has been CManated.
PSN: SilentDragon870 // Mains: Cammy, Cody, Cammy/Law
#8Trainalf(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 2:32:37 PM
PapaRosario23 posted...

Yup. I will give you very, very slight spoilers to help you avoid it.

When you get the quest to retrieve the Dragonstone, just don't do it or don't turn in the Dragonstone immediately. Only turn it in when you're ready for the dragons to appear.

Alright, thank you for that!
---
PSN-Trainalf
#9KungFuChicken69Posted 8/18/2012 3:23:24 PM
Fast traveling increases the chance of a dragon spawning, so try not to fast travel to the small towns (Riverwood, Ivarstead, Dawnstar, etc.) if you want to keep the NPC fatalities low.

Dragons rarely spawn inside the main cities, but in case they do, just leave the city through the main gate and the dragon should follow you out, preventing NPCs in the cities from getting killed.
#10Devil_Killer_JCPosted 8/18/2012 4:26:42 PM
KungFuChicken69 posted...
Fast traveling increases the chance of a dragon spawning, so try not to fast travel to the small towns (Riverwood, Ivarstead, Dawnstar, etc.) if you want to keep the NPC fatalities low.

Dragons rarely spawn inside the main cities, but in case they do, just leave the city through the main gate and the dragon should follow you out, preventing NPCs in the cities from getting killed.

Actually, they aren't supposed to attack the walled cities. The only way they get in is if there was a dragon nearby when you entered the main gate/fast traveled to the city. It's because they "zone in" with you, similar to how some NPCs will enter your house if you enter it while they say something.

Basically, if you know a dragon is in the area, don't enter a walled city or fast travel to one until it is dealt with and you'll avoid that little problem.
---
PSN: Devil_Killer_JCS
biohazardmercenaries.com