The Hunt for Torkild

#1jtrainePosted 2/18/2013 5:44:25 AM
So....Filial Bonds....

I know Torkild is a random encounter. I've searched numerous threads on numerous boards looking for the best way to find him....to no avail.

For over four real life days I have been hunting this guy. Hours and hours (36+) spent scouring every inch of Solstheim, using aura whisper shout and detect life continuously. I've worked in grids, I've zigged, I zagged, I've spiraled in and I've spiraled out and doubled back again. I've searched the highest peaks, and every outlying island, I've killed countless would-be assassins, and dozens of roaming werebears. I've looked under every rock, in every crevice and up every tree.

I'm not exaggerating, I have literally scoured every millimetre of this miserable island, over and over and over again, and have found NO TRACE of this guy.

And no, he isn't dead. I haven't gotten the quest update to look for his body, plus I recently did a grid by grid search over every inch of the island using detect dead. He is my last quest here in Solstheim. I will have him if it friggin kills me.

Anyone got any advice?
#2VT-14Posted 2/18/2013 6:23:18 AM
I know your suppose to talk to him and fight him, but I saw a dead body at the bottom of a waterfall and checked it. I picked up the letter and finished the quest really quickly. I guess he fell to his death.

He was a the bottom of the waterfall connected to that headwater place (almost out to sea, caught up on the land only 10 or so feet from open water).
---
PSN: VT-14
Skyrim PS3 Troubleshooting Guide --> http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/615804-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/faqs/65084
#3jtraine(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 6:28:50 AM
VT-14 posted...
I know your suppose to talk to him and fight him, but I saw a dead body at the bottom of a waterfall and checked it. I picked up the letter and finished the quest really quickly. I guess he fell to his death.

He was a the bottom of the waterfall connected to that headwater place (almost out to sea, caught up on the land only 10 or so feet from open water).

If he's dead you're supposed to get a quest update to find his body...
#4VT-14Posted 2/18/2013 6:32:39 AM
jtraine posted...
VT-14 posted...

If he's dead you're supposed to get a quest update to find his body...

Hm? Maybe my memory is failing and that is why I jumped down the waterfall. (still remember seeing his body in the distance though).
---
PSN: VT-14
Skyrim PS3 Troubleshooting Guide --> http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/615804-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/faqs/65084
#5jtraine(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 8:09:39 AM
VT-14 posted...
Hm? Maybe my memory is failing and that is why I jumped down the waterfall. (still remember seeing his body in the distance though).

He isn't there either on mine *sigh*

This feels like "Where's Waldo" gone horridly wrong. He should NOT be this difficult to find.
#6jtraine(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 9:44:10 AM
At long last.....after endless hours of the worst where's waldo EVER....I found him, at shortly past 5am on a snowy sunday morning, standing just beyond the Headwaters of Harstrad, staring out over the distant waters.......

Jerk. I'd been up and down that path countless times. Bloody took him long enough to show up.

>.<
#7sconekillerPosted 2/20/2013 12:02:26 PM
congrats. on my own quest-unending looking for the missing bear, and several pic-a-nick baskets. i'm going to try an aerial search if i can borrow the local dragon
---
you bring redgrass, we dance!
#8sconekillerPosted 2/20/2013 12:35:06 PM(edited)
sconekiller posted...
congrats. on my own quest-unending looking for the missing bear, and several pic-a-nick baskets. i'm going to try an aerial search if i can borrow the local dragon

your actual mileage may very, but we found the Torker within seconds after circling the Glacial Ruins. tried the Headwaters first, and a couple of other points in that vicinity; flamed a high elf that was no doubt up to no good, just to test-fire the weapon system, then moved over to the ruins.

never actually saw him: his name popped up while cycling through targets. select the triangle button to lock on targets, then press the directional keys to cycle through the available ones: snow fox, frost troll, Torkild! X button to engage and immediately got the message "examine Torkild." never saw him during the attack run, so that sucked some of the fun out of it

he was at the mouth of an inlet on the northern coast, west of Glacial Cave (where uesp recommends searching for him); same inlet where the Castle Karstaag Caverns icon is located. unfortunately, i had to be less than truthful when i went to see his brother: "he was mad, i had to kill him to defend myself!" for all i know he was on his way to seek a cure. then he asks if you gave him a decent burial...probably best not to mention the horkers gnawing on his charred remains...
---
you bring redgrass, we dance!