Confused about DLC, enchanting, smithing and alchemy

#1DweepizzlePosted 4/26/2013 7:51:50 PM
Hey guys!

I just started playing Skyrim again after about half a year of not playing it. I have a level 53 mage character with 100 smithing, 100 alchemy and 89 enchanting (can get it up to 100 probably, I have a ton of soulgems).

I stopped playing before the DLC was released, but I'm planning on buying all the DLC this weekend.

I have a few questions regarding the new DLC and enchanting equipment. Back when I used to play, I remember reading about people who enchanted Fortify Alchemy 29% on their items, using the alchemy/enchanting loop. I never did that, but after coming back I feel like enchanting some stuff.

Question is, what's the best way to do it? First of all, is dragon armor worth it for a mage? Is that the strongest there is?
Second of all, I read that you can now get more than 29% Fortify Alchemy on your equipment with the DLC - is that true? If yes, how?

I don't want to break my game (like the restoration glitch I've been reading about), I just want to make some awesome armor with some awesome enchants on them. Any tips for doing just that are greatly appreciated, since I'm pretty confused at the moment!

Thanks in advance!
#2VT-14Posted 4/26/2013 8:08:58 PM
Dweepizzle posted...
I have a few questions regarding the new DLC and enchanting equipment. Back when I used to play, I remember reading about people who enchanted Fortify Alchemy 29% on their items, using the alchemy/enchanting loop. I never did that, but after coming back I feel like enchanting some stuff.
If you are tying to make demi-god level enchantments; look up the Fortify Restoration Exploit (or Alchemy exploit FAQ on this website).

Came back after reading the rest of your message. You could make a Fortify Alchemy Enchantment, and then make a Fortify Enchanting potion; but that will drain your resources quickly. If you want strong gear, but not ridiculous gear; I would recommend either this brute force method, or 2-3 fortify restoration loops.

Question is, what's the best way to do it? First of all, is dragon armor worth it for a mage? Is that the strongest there is?
Depends:
Heavy armor - Daedric Armor has a higher armor rating, but both easily hit the armor cap (567); so Dragonbone armor wins by being lighter
Light armor - Dragonscale armor is the strongest light armor (but again, you should have hit the armor cap before reaching it.

In the end, go with whatever armor you find visually appealing.

Second of all, I read that you can now get more than 29% Fortify Alchemy on your equipment with the DLC - is that true? If yes, how?
Without DLC and using exploits, you could have 19283729847239% Fortify Alchemy gear.

Without exploits or extensive looping (Alchemy->Enchanting->Alchemy->Enchanting->Repeat); I don't know the max. I don't think the DLC increases it though.

I don't want to break my game (like the restoration glitch I've been reading about), I just want to make some awesome armor with some awesome enchants on them. Any tips for doing just that are greatly appreciated, since I'm pretty confused at the moment!
So you have heard about the resto glitch. Well, it won't break your game so long as you follow some simple rules.
A) If you feel to powerful, drop your gear before you get attached to it. Playing god may be fun for a while, but you will get tired of it.
B) Don't Fortify Health. If you do, you may increase it so much that your game will glitch you to having a negative amount of health when removing it, and kill you instantly. It is possible to remove the item without dying, but it's easier to avoid the problem all together.

Given your levels, I would recommend at most 2 or 3 loops; beyond that will be getting to really strong gear (where you get bord of the game).

Thanks in advance!

---
PSN: VT-14
Skyrim PS3 Troubleshooting Guide --> http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/615804-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/faqs/65084
#3AtomicsniperPosted 4/27/2013 7:14:02 AM
If you don't want to exploit at all
With 100 in smithing enchanting and alchemy
And all relevant perks
5/5 perks for alchemy and enchanting
Get the next 2 perks in alchemy
Go all the way up the middle to double enchanting
Get either heavy or light armor all the way to desired
Without being a necromage
You'll cap fortify smithing and alchemy on 4 pieces of gear at 29% (5 total cuz 2 items out of ur 5 don't do both) you can max smithing potions at 130% and enchanting potions at 29%
If ur a vamp/necromage you'll boost those by 25% I believe
This is totally exploit free
There is also a black book in dragonborn that boosts combat skills (smithing) by 10% iirc

You can then exploit the double falmer headgear for an extra fortify 25%

Or fortify resto loop for God armor
---
PSN: atomicsniper
#4NimociousPosted 4/28/2013 12:40:13 PM
Has anyone experimented with the Sallow Regent book effects (one that gives 10% more effect for all stealth skills (for alchemy) and 10% stronger enchantments) and ahzidal's boots (+10 enchanting when worn)? I'm going to work it out when I get home but I was wondering if anyone has found the new limit for the alchemy/enchanting loop.
---
PSN- SweetSauceBoss
#5Dweepizzle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 11:05:04 AM
Thanks a lot for the answers guys, I really appreciate it!

I'm trying to create some +29% Fortify Alchemy, but for some weird reason I can't enchant my first set to 25%. The maximum I can get are 24%, which is weird since I have the required perks.

Also, my different grand souls have different values. Some of my grand souls only give +16% - why is that??? A grand soul is a grand soul, no??

Help greatly appreciated, guys!
#6KaiborazPosted 4/29/2013 11:12:24 AM
A Grand soul can hold all of the lower level of souls as well. Just because it's a grand soul gem, doesn't necessarily mean its a grand soul. You should be able to see what it holds in the inventory menus. It should look like this:

Grand Soul Gem (Greater)
Grand Soul Gem (Lesser)
Grand Soul Gem (Grand)

etc
---
PSN: Silver-ArchAngel
#7Dweepizzle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 11:16:20 AM
Aaaah, man, I'm such an idiot! Of course that's why! Thanks!
Is there any way to not waste my Grand Souls with souls that are less than Grand?

Also it still doesn't explain why I can only get +24% instead of +25%. Really annoying!
#8Minnesota_FlashPosted 4/29/2013 11:29:31 AM(edited)
Is the Grand Soul Gem filled with a Grand Soul?
Azura's Star is reusable for Enchanting,have to refill it for each Enchantment.
You don't need Grand Souls for Muffle,Water Breathing.

This game I only have 28% on my Apparel with Potions at 144%.
Looked up my last game and the Potions were 146%.
Have not looked into why yet.
It's more than enough,never used Resto Loop.
#9Dweepizzle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 11:25:01 AM
Yes, it's definitely a Grand Soul in what I'm trying to use now. But I guess you're right, it doesn't make that much of a difference - just annoying that I can't figure out why! Thanks for your input :)
#10Minnesota_FlashPosted 4/29/2013 11:28:52 AM
Edit:Azura's Star is reusable for Enchanting,have to refill it for each Enchantment.
Black Star is a lot easier to fill with Grand Souls.