Bought key via Russian VPN. Grayed out in Steam without VPN.

#1waterchanPosted 11/10/2011 4:19:02 AM
Hello my fellow friendly Skyrim anticipaters and VPN'ers,

I live in Australia and I purchased a Russian CD key for this via an online CD key seller. I know they are reliable because I bought Battlefield 3 from them and it worked. Here's something that worries me:

1. I connect to a Russian VPN via OpenVPN, login to Steam, and activate the CD key. It works.

2. I turn OFF the VPN and start downloading. The download finishes.

3. After it's done downloading, I click Preload. It seems to work, and I have 5.1 GB of files in my Steam Skyrim folder.

4. I look at Steam, and Skyrim is grayed out in the Library. Clicking Preload makes it attempt to "download" again, but it remains stuck at 0%. I still have 5.1 GB of files in the Skyrim folder.

5. When I logout of Steam, turn ON the VPN, and log back in, Skyrim is no longer grayed out. Click Preload at this point prints a message saying game is already preloaded and will be ready to play on release.

Question: Does this mean that I will have to be connected via Russian VPN whenever I want to play Skyrim?

Thanks and happy adventures.
#2waterchan(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2011 4:19:59 AM
Correction: I did NOT buy the key while connected via Russian VPN. I ACTIVATED it on Steam while connected via Russian VPN.
#3FormalhautPosted 11/10/2011 4:20:56 AM
At worst, you'll have to play in offline mode and connect to the russian VPN for updates.

At best, when the game unlocks everything will be A-OK.
---
"I think I've only ever had one or two wet dreams in my life. One was about Tifa from FFVII, and one was about a Gundam" - Eva
#4waterchan(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2011 4:30:13 AM
Formalhaut posted...
At worst, you'll have to play in offline mode and connect to the russian VPN for updates.

At best, when the game unlocks everything will be A-OK.

Is that so...? The worst-case scenario doesn't sound too bad. Thanks!
#5Equilibrium2903Posted 11/10/2011 4:56:17 PM
I did the exact same thing. I bought a russian key and had it activated and preloaded using a russian VPN. But I am still not able to play it, it keeps telling me that I have to wait for the game to be released.

Do you have any information about when it will be released in russia?
#6cloakedboltzPosted 11/10/2011 4:57:50 PM

I did the exact same thing. I bought a russian key and had it activated and preloaded using a russian VPN. But I am still not able to play it, it keeps telling me that I have to wait for the game to be released.

Use the TESV.exe thing in the game folder.
---
<sarcasm>I'm a certified doctor on GameFAQs, trust me.</sarcasm>
#7Equilibrium2903Posted 11/10/2011 5:22:58 PM
cloakedboltz posted...

Use the TESV.exe thing in the game folder.

Doesn't work, I only activated and preloaded it, it is still encrypted...