The best way to play Skyrim ?

#1morgynnPosted 11/12/2011 4:45:47 AM
Already I am reading posts from people flaming Bethesda; complaining about bugs (which is actually quite, IMO, normal for such a technically deep game in the opening weeks); etc.,etc.
Considering I think Bethesda did a great job so far, here, for what it may be worth, is my 2 cents:

Look at it this way: Skyrim is an RPG virtual world. So Instead of trying to make that "perfect" char. from the start, why not pick as best you can the type you want (warts and all).
Acknowledge that you will surely choose, along with some great skills, some bummers.
Acknowledge that that's life, just like this RL you were (without your permission), born into.

Then - determine that you will live that char. to the full; BELIEVE that he (or she) is really you, transported to another world/dimension.

Promise to yourself that after you play a couple levels you will NOT cry "oh dear, I think I will restart. I don't like the way this is going. " (That is the "Way of the Wuss".)

After all, if you are indeed going to truly play a game like this, which gives you that rare opportuniy to "start life again in another " world/dimension", (like Second Life?), then treat it like the life you have here, in RL. Make friends, cultivate allies. Don't rush headlong into situations which, if it would really put you in danger, would kill you quickly (doing so with the realization that you can always go back to a previous save). When you mess up (like the guy who killed that chicken, and the people ran him out of town), then bite the bullet of your own stupidity. Treat people, good and not-so-good, as you truly think best. (Maybe kill that **** who wants tokill you?, etc.).

You WILL have great skills and powers. It will not be boring.

DON'T rush to install that God cheat or the unlimited ammo. cheat etc. As they come, install mods which will add to the realistic enjoyment of the game.

The list of do's and don'ts can be endless and will develop as you progress.

Obviously you WILL get killed at times and have to re-load.
But you get the point.

I believe that that is the way to really approach such a game. That's what I am doing. How about you?
---
"Before you can live with others. you have to be able to live with yourself" (Charles Vandornn).
#2UrsavusPosted 11/12/2011 4:47:06 AM
To summarise in a single word: roleplaying.

And yes, it's incredibly fun.
---
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
#3gamefaqwatcherPosted 11/12/2011 4:50:39 AM
So far i'm enjoying it. Probably because this is my first real melee character (usually play ranged or favour magic). Decided to make a pally instead since i want to enter the mages guild.

It's quite sad seeing all the people on pc complaining about bugs. If they were restricted to playing the FO3:GOTY on the PS3 they'd rage hard.
---
Jauffre Jam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHL7zyLsQ2k
#4morgynn(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2011 12:19:44 PM
Tell me if you are what I would call a true gamer and you would, as I have said, play the game as Bethesda , IMO, ideally mean it should be played (a virtual-reality life opportunity), and enjoy the nail-biting feeling of the
possibility of really having to accept the consequences of your decisions, good or bad. and with no re-loads, if at all possible. I believe such an approach does add an extra depth of enjoyment ( allowing, of course, that
there are times when you cannot prevent getting killed, or the game will crash etc., and you do have to go back to a previous save).

Or maybe you have already d/loaded a list of cheats to enable you to shoot thru' with unlimited ammo, extra health, zillions of gold, and a bag of buckets to put over every man, woman and child you want to steal from. ( I must confess I laughed my head off when I watched that on Youtube).

So - what exactly is your own personal game style?

On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate yourself.
Approximately: 9 to 1O for deciding to bite the bullet and treat it like you only have one shot? No cheats. Stand by your decisions, misguided or not, etc. and see thru' the effects, maybe to your pleasant surprize; maybe to your dismay. Tell yourself: "This will be MY true virtual-reality adventure."

6 to 9 for needing to re-load only when you make a really big ****up? Otherwise you will connive if necessary, steal, lie, run to save your miserable life, do whatever you will to survive, heroically or cowardly. "I am a realist - That's how life should be. ."

3 to 6 if you will enable SOME basic cheats just to give you an edge.(After all, no-one is looking over your shoulder to confront you - it's only a game). "This really is only a game so - what the heck? Let's have a ball."

1 to 5 if you decide to be one of the first, if not the first to blast your way thru' the Main Story using every trick and cheat available just to be able to say : " I finished the game in 4 straight hours. How about that? " THAT is what really turns me on."
---
"Before you can live with others. you have to be able to live with yourself" (Charles Vandornn).
#5rileym65Posted 11/13/2011 12:28:29 PM
For me, games like this are all about the role playing, on your scale, I am a 10. I will only reload a save if the game glitches. If I screw up the build, well, I learn to live with the mistake and find a way to get around whatever weakness I created for myself. When my character dies a legitimate death (Not due to a glitch) then it is start over. I play all games like this in this fashion.
#6danny-is-nicePosted 11/13/2011 12:28:54 PM
I find the best way to play skyrim is when your drunk or intoxicated.

Trololololol
---
Religion is just a fancy name for cult that has been established.
#7Icegoten200Posted 11/13/2011 12:29:57 PM
I love role playing.
---
Super Nintendo
#8morgynn(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2011 12:31:41 PM
rileym65 posted...
For me, games like this are all about the role playing, on your scale, I am a 10. I will only reload a save if the game glitches. If I screw up the build, well, I learn to live with the mistake and find a way to get around whatever weakness I created for myself. When my character dies a legitimate death (Not due to a glitch) then it is start over. I play all games like this in this fashion.

Spoken like a true adventurer. Welcome to the Guild of Life.
---
#9ELDuranPosted 11/13/2011 12:33:33 PM
I love RPG's.

I can shoot down helicopters with 'em.
---
Most of the money you'll win at poker comes not from the brilliance of your own play, but from the ineptitude of your opponents.
#10MaridStormbreakPosted 11/13/2011 12:37:54 PM

DON'T rush to install that God cheat or the unlimited ammo. cheat etc. As they come, install mods which will add to the realistic enjoyment of the game.

>doesn't know about built-in console commands
>TGM, player.additem ID no., etc

Bahahahaha.
---
They took our money. They're taking our future.
It's time to take it all back. - https://occupywallst.org/