How do you run Steam in offline mode?

#1hijokaidenPosted 11/14/2011 7:48:57 AM(edited)
I am playing the game offline since it's a single player game there is no point in staying connected online when I play, but the Steam guide to enable offline mode is not very well done:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

"Using Offline Mode on a PC.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:

1. Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked

2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)

3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have

4. Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the Don't save account credentials on this computer option is not selected."

Okay I understand so far, but then they say:

"5. From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline

6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode "

What the heck is "the main Steam window" and where is that "Steam menu"?
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#2MoganPosted 11/14/2011 7:51:32 AM
Open Steam, click on the Steam menu in the top left corner, then click "Go Offline." You'll be given the option to restart Steam in offline mode, and it will stay that way until you choose to connect again.

The main Steam window is the window that opens when you open Steam. Its has STORE, LIBRARY, NEWS, and COMMUNITY at the top. Kind of hard to miss.
---
"I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into 9 guys you've ****ed!"
#3WikedAltPosted 11/14/2011 7:53:05 AM
What the heck is "the main Steam window" and where is that "Steam menu"?

Why are you PC gaming if you don't even know what a Window and menu is
#4hijokaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2011 7:57:45 AM
There is no Steam menu 'go offline" mode, all there is, is:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Servers
Screenshots
News
Settings
Friends
#5ClouddxPosted 11/14/2011 8:30:02 AM(edited)
Ohh, if only der was a god.

http://www.co-optimus.com/images/upload/image/2011/steam-screens.jpg

ok look @ picture, see on top of the Steam window there is a little thing that says Steam? That's what you're looking for.
---
i7-920 @ 3.8 // P6T // CM V8 // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper // 470 GTX // Corsair 650HX // HAF 932
Soon to be SLI 470 GTX + Corsair HX1050
#6MoganPosted 11/14/2011 8:44:22 AM(edited)

There is no Steam menu 'go offline" mode, all there is, is:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Servers
Screenshots
News
Settings
Friends

Actually open Steam, don't just click on the tray icon. You can't get to the "Main Steam Window" if you're not opening a window.
Clicking on most of the those options you listed will bring up the main Steam window.
---
#7hijokaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2011 8:48:38 AM
Yeah I had to do Start http://img.labnol.org/di/windows_logo.png >Steam>Go Offline
---
Well at Gamestop you can get a rubber ducky, a water gun, or a pirate sleeve Wii bundle.
#8hijokaiden(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2011 8:49:00 AM
Thanks.
---
#9quicksilver117Posted 11/14/2011 8:50:17 AM
It's stupid that you have to first be CONNECTED to the internet to go to offline mode.
---
It's gaming time brah! Get that game face ON!
PoKéMoN FC - W: 0347 0997 3030
#10MoganPosted 11/14/2011 8:52:58 AM
^You don't. Steam defaults to Online Mode, because its required for most of Steam's functions (including the one where you buy things from them), but if you're not connected when Steam starts, or lose your connection while its running, Steam will offer to go into Offline Mode automatically.
---