Ahhh game just closes for no reason...

#1KamiccolokuetanPosted 11/16/2011 5:18:02 PM
Anyone else experiencing this? I will play for an hour and two then out of nowhere the game just closes. No errors or messages. Just closes. Any idea how i can fix this?
---
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
#2FreakindaunPosted 11/16/2011 5:22:49 PM
It's because the launcher only throttles 2 gigabytes of RAM. I'm sure that you have more, but your computer reserves it for windows vital operations. Which I can guarantee you that your computer does NOT need. So here's what you do.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Download that, go to the location of your TESV.exe, which should be
Drive:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim

If you are using steam (You probably are).
Create a backup of the TESV.exe (the program does this for you, but better to be safe), and save the backup somewhere you can find it. Then run the program, and browse to Drive:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim and use it on the TESV.exe.
This will allow the game to launch using 4GB of RAM, which should stop the crashing.
When Bethesda releases an update, you might need to replace the modified .exe with the original, then you can create a new backup of that and reuse this program.

I used this, and it works.
---
THE ENDER OF TOPICS! GT: Sighteddeath52
"All problems can be solved with a liberal application of lasers and/or explosives."
#3Mr_Turtle_DudePosted 11/16/2011 5:25:16 PM
System properties informs me that I have 12GB of ram.

Does Windows 7 really need 10GB of ram to work properly? I doubt it.

..and yeah, I also started having this problem recently. I'll try out the fix when I get a chance.
---
http://octopuns.blogspot.com
A webcomic involving various sea creatures and crappy puns.
#4lionheart1127Posted 11/16/2011 5:28:15 PM

Also have this problem but it doesn't bother me too much.  Once it closes on me it's probably time to stop playing anyway.  I did have one instance where it shutdown my entire computer though, not pleasant.

#5Kamiccolokuetan(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2011 5:29:26 PM
Freakindaun posted...
It's because the launcher only throttles 2 gigabytes of RAM. I'm sure that you have more, but your computer reserves it for windows vital operations. Which I can guarantee you that your computer does NOT need. So here's what you do.

Drive:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim

If you are using steam (You probably are).
Create a backup of the TESV.exe (the program does this for you, but better to be safe), and save the backup somewhere you can find it. Then run the program, and browse to Drive:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim and use it on the TESV.exe.
This will allow the game to launch using 4GB of RAM, which should stop the crashing.
When Bethesda releases an update, you might need to replace the modified .exe with the original, then you can create a new backup of that and reuse this program.

I used this, and it works.

Tried this already and it didn't work.
---
#6FreakindaunPosted 11/16/2011 5:31:29 PM
The only other thing I can think is an underpowered graphics card or processor. Or a driver incompatibility. It sounds like the game is running out of memory somewhere.
---
THE ENDER OF TOPICS! GT: Sighteddeath52
"All problems can be solved with a liberal application of lasers and/or explosives."
#7Mr_Turtle_DudePosted 11/16/2011 5:40:36 PM
I had been playing for a couple of days with absolutely no problems...and then yesterday this happened about three times in a span of 5 hours or so.

Nothing on my system has changed. Though, there is a slight possibility I had a couple more applications running on my PC than usual.
---
http://octopuns.blogspot.com
A webcomic involving various sea creatures and crappy puns.
#8Kamiccolokuetan(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2011 6:35:01 PM(edited)
My specs on my computer are:

GeForce GTX 465
AMD Phenom II x4 965 (3.4 GHz quad core)
8GB RAM
Win7 x64

All drivers are up to date. Running on medium settings. Can run on Ultra with little slow down in busy areas.
---
#9Golden_GonadsPosted 11/16/2011 6:41:17 PM
Its a Bethesda game. All their games crash randomly for no discernable reason.
#10Griever629Posted 11/16/2011 6:43:10 PM

Drive:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim......

I only have 4gb RAM, will it affect my computer if I allocate all 4 gigs to the game?
---
Liberte, egalite, frag grenades