Buying house in Markath issue *minor spoilers*

#1iamrob7Posted 11/17/2011 1:04:52 PM

I'm in Markath, I've done quite a few "helping" tasks around the place.  I went and spoke to the Jarl and asked him about the house, he said speak to the steward which I tried to do but only got generic responses, no actual conversation menu.  The Jarl had asked me to kill some bandit, so I thought I'll go and do that, see what happens.  Nothing has happened, there isn't even an option in the Jarls conversation to ask about the house, the steward just tells me he is her uncle and nothing more.  I've gotten no MISC task of "help the people 5/5" etc as I did in Solitude and elsewhere.  

Why can't I buy the house?  Does anyone know how to fix this?  Is this a bug?

#2cpg2Posted 11/17/2011 1:11:18 PM
Do you have to complete the forswarn conspiracy questline first? I didn't do enough in Markarth to have expected it to be available until after finishing that questline, so I can't remember for sure.
#3iamrob7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2011 1:11:42 PM

Has anyone bought the Markath house?  if so what did you do to get it?  humpity bump

#4blackchalice666Posted 11/17/2011 1:12:39 PM
if your below level 20 thats your first issue once you hit level 20 youll get a second quest from him
#5iamrob7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2011 1:12:46 PM

cpg2 posted...
Do you have to complete the forswarn conspiracy questline first? I didn't do enough in Markarth to have expected it to be available until after finishing that questline, so I can't remember for sure.

I've completed that questline, killed the Manadach guy or whatever his name was, escaped prison and was pardoned.  I've also done 3-4 other missions around the place on top of the bandit malarky for the jarl.  

#6iamrob7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2011 1:13:01 PM

blackchalice666 posted...
if your below level 20 thats your first issue once you hit level 20 youll get a second quest from him

I'm level 34

#7Fargoth272Posted 11/17/2011 1:16:08 PM
Just something to look for, not saying this is your specific issue: The stewards work like "shops" so if you talk to him in the wrong place he won't "sell" anything.
---
8s7dfz32xc0v62x0
#8iamrob7(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2011 1:24:16 PM

Fargoth272 posted...
Just something to look for, not saying this is your specific issue: The stewards work like "shops" so if you talk to him in the wrong place he won't "sell" anything.
---
8s7dfz32xc0v62x0

Thanks but I worked out what I was doing wrong, when the Jarl said talk to his steward and that his steward would deal with my house buying.  What he actually meant was, don't bother talking to my steward, he won't say anything to you useful, talk to me and do every task I have available first.

Basically as a guy posted earlier, I had to do both of the Jarls tasks before the steward would speak to me, despite the Jarl saying speak to the steward. 

Thanks for the help.

#9lakederek88Posted 11/17/2011 10:09:07 PM
Yeah the above comment is correct, I posted this questions to Yahoo! Answers, here's the link: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111116070537AA3IKeG
#10morgensternPosted 11/18/2011 2:58:08 AM
I have the same bug. Level 43, have done all the minor quests in Markath but the Jarl won't give me any quests and when I ask about the house he says to talk to the steward. The steward has no dialogue options just a generic comment, have tried talking to him in the throne room and in his room. Will see if I can find a console command to trigger it.