Transfer Skyrim saves from 360 to PC, then back to 360

#1darkgoobPosted 11/18/2011 12:52:52 PM
I made a couple youtube videos showing how to transfer your save games from the 360 to the PC and then from the PC back to the 360. They are kinda long but detailed.

That way you can play on your 360, then if someone else wants to play or use the TV or whatever, you can take your USB stick over to your PC and keep going on the same save-file. Later you can go back and keep playing again on the 360 when you feel like it.

Here are the links.

To transfer 360 save from the 360 over to the PC:
http://youtu.be/hTg-U8atbR0

To transfer a PC save from the PC back to the 360:
http://youtu.be/znMpYUw7dE4

NOTE ABOUT BRINGING MODDED SAVE FILES FROM PC TO THE 360:

Another cool thing is that you can mod your save file on the PC with console commands and bring it back to the 360. Why would you do this?
* fix an arrow-stuck-in-you bug
* to add extra money/carry capacity.
* change sex or other details of character.
* add items to you.
* etc. etc. etc.

I also am guessing that -- if it's anything like Oblivion -- then eventually people will discover the console commands that let you fix any bugged quests by setting certain flags in the quest progress with console commands. But I haven't checked to find out if you can do this in Skyrim. Maybe people already know how.

Now, I have not seen any problems with bringing modded saves to my 360, but please reply to this post if you know of any potential risks there. As far as I know, the only potential risk would be if your 360 has some expansion content that you don't have on the PC (or vice versa). So just make sure to only do this if you have the same expansion packs on both, or you might risk losing items or quest progress related to the expansions (not sure if you really lose it, or it just won't load... but I wouldn't bother risking it).
---
-=DG=-
#2darkgoob(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2011 1:08:42 PM
Also here are the basic steps I followed in the videos to do this:

Go from 360 to PC:
1.) Get a USB stick.
2.) Copy profile to USB stick.
3.) Copy save file to USB stick. (Make sure you have a backup of the save on the XBOX 360 hard drive or on another USB stick.)
4.) Sign out of profile, quit Skyrim.
5.) Remove USB stick and insert into PC.
6.) Open up Modio 3.0. Click to "Open from a device" and select the save you want to transfer.
6.1) Click "Show File" and drag the .exs file to your desktop.
6.2) If the file's window goes away when you move it, then click "Open a Save", and re-open it.
7.) Click "File Contents" tab.
8.) Right-click "Savegame.dat" and extract it to your desktop.
9.) Rename it to "Savegame.ess".
10.) Move it from your desktop into the Skyrim save files directory. If there's another one already called that, then call it something else then move it.
11.) Play your newly transferred save!

Go from PC to 360:
0.) Make sure the USB stick from the previous steps is still inserted. (Has to have your gamer profile on it.)
1.) Find the latest-modified save file in your Skyrim saves directory.
2.) Copy it to the desktop (right click and say copy, then right click on desktop and do paste... that's the easiest way IMHO).
3.) Rename it to "Savegame.dat".
3.1) Also rename the .exs file that's on your desktop and call it something like "save.exs" (that worked for me).
4.) Open Modio.
5.) If you haven't already done this, then click "Edit ID Sets" and make a new one from your gamer profile on the USB stick. Then save it and close that window. Make sure that ID is selected when you do the next steps.
6.) Click "Open a Save" and open the .exs file that's on your desktop.
7.) Click file contents tab.
8.) Right-click the Savegame.dat and select "Replace File."
9.) Select the "Savegame.dat" file that's on your desktop as the file to replace in there.
10.) Click back to the "General File Info" tab.
11.) Click "Rehash and Resign."
12.) Click "Save to Device" and select your XBOX gamer profile, then save it there.
13.) Quit Modio.
14.) Properly eject your USB stick by stopping it in the taskbar icon then removing it.
15.) Load it into your 360 and start up Skyrim.
16.) ...
17.) PROFIT!!!
---
-=DG=-
#3Ikari GendoPosted 11/18/2011 1:22:22 PM
Impressive, but this will probably be much more useful on the 360 board.
#4RadarPosted 11/18/2011 11:41:38 PM
^^ This, it's not much use to people who are playing this on PC. Also, and I say this to the interwebs in general, isn't it time to retire the South Park 'profit' thing? If not, fine, but it seems to have lost its Ta-Da!
---
PSN name: Action_Slacks
#5darkgoob(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 3:29:09 PM
I cross-posted, since it applies to both.

But actually I figured this would apply more to the people who are primarily playing the game on their PC version, since whenever the DLC comes out, we might want to jump over to the 360 and play it for that month when only the 360 has that DLC. I know I will.

That, and if you're like me, then once in a while, you might want to enjoy the game on your big-screen and surround system without having to move your PC.

(My 360 is hooked up to a 55" and surround system. I could hook up my PC to that, but I just didn't feel like hauling my PC downstairs to the TV room, since that computer weighs at least 43 pounds and is hooked up to eight peripherals. Just didn't feel like dealing with disassembling that mess and lugging the beast down a flight of stairs, LOL.)
---
-=DG=-
#6Dante200XPosted 11/19/2011 3:30:31 PM

since whenever the DLC comes out, we might want to jump over to the 360 and play it for that month when only the 360 has that DLC.

hehe, not even....

Our mods would not like being on the 360.
---
"I'm not reading reviews when I can just ask this board." - TormakSaber asking about a Sam & Max game on the TF2 board
#7darkgoob(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 4:21:22 PM
Which mods are you using? Just curious.
---
-=DG=-
#8darkgoob(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 4:49:08 PM
I only ask because I applied several mods from the console to my 360 save and it worked just fine on the 360.

But if you mean mods as in, added/altered game content made with the construction set, then I could see not wanting to mess that up.

Can you tell me, if you load and use a save that relies upon content that's not available, do you lose all your aspects of the save that are related to that additional content (like mods)? That is to say, would you lose items that are stored in a place that's no longer available, if you open a save that relied on it, then use it, then save again, then load back on the machine that does have the content?

Thanks.
---
-=DG=-
#9Dante200XPosted 11/20/2011 10:34:11 AM

Which mods are you using? Just curious.

Nothing decent atm....others have really been checking the nexus every day, not me. I'm a bit more patient.

if you load and use a save that relies upon content that's not available, do you lose all your aspects of the save that are related to that additional content (like mods)?

You may get serious glitches if you do something like that....or worse, it may not even start up depending on what mods you had installed. Like if I went and reinstalled Oblivion at this moment and tried to load up my old saves it would not even start up because of all the mods my saves are relying on.

That is to say, would you lose items that are stored in a place that's no longer available, if you open a save that relied on it, then use it, then save again, then load back on the machine that does have the content?

That one is hard to say. I have no idea.
---
"I'm not reading reviews when I can just ask this board." - TormakSaber asking about a Sam & Max game on the TF2 board
#10darkgoob(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2011 2:07:30 PM
As far as I know, all the current mods are just mods to how the game is rendered. For example there's mods to make skin and faces look better, improve the over-all look of the graphics or alter the colors etc., and that's about it from what I've seen really.

Until the construction set comes out, I doubt we'll see any mods that would affect how the game gets saved. But after that, then of course there will be the ability to save a game with lots of extra items and followers and spells etc. etc. that are just not in the 360 version.

At any rate, just throwing it out there. I will do further testing and see if any of these mods break the saves for the 360. So far all I tested was adding money.
---
-=DG=-