"Quiet Casting" perk... does it do anything?

#1DranzylPosted 11/20/2011 11:37:46 PM
I mean, it should make it so enemies don't hear you when you cast spells, right?
So why are they going crazy when I cast some buff near them, while completely out of sight, just as if I didn't have the perk at all? :/

Recap:

No LOS
Nothing going their way, just buffing myself
Suppodedly no sound
????
Psychic enemies? Long lost relatives of the psychic guards of Oblivion maybe?
#2Alvin_the_ElfPosted 11/20/2011 11:38:45 PM
Dranzyl posted...
I mean, it should make it so enemies don't hear you when you cast spells, right?
So why are they going crazy when I cast some buff near them, while completely out of sight, just as if I didn't have the perk at all? :/

Recap:

No LOS
Nothing going their way, just buffing myself
Suppodedly no sound
????
Psychic enemies? Long lost relatives of the psychic guards of Oblivion maybe?

What is your sneak level? What armor are you wearing?
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#3whatmustidoPosted 11/20/2011 11:39:08 PM
I think silent casting means that you charge it silently. Something like Oakflesh still makes a pretty loud sound when it activates. And healing is pretty bright.
---
Morality is relative and based on opinions. Everyone has a different opinion, so everyone has a different view on what is right or wrong. What is right?
#4digitalwill2000Posted 11/20/2011 11:42:01 PM
whatmustido posted...
I think silent casting means that you charge it silently. Something like Oakflesh still makes a pretty loud sound when it activates. And healing is pretty bright.

So its only to get a sneak critical? So much for casting frenzy in silence.
---
270 Karma Losses andcounting...
Troll Karma: Elite
#5Dranzyl(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2011 11:43:46 PM
Alvin_the_Elf posted...
What is your sneak level? What armor are you wearing?

63, glass armor. I also use the Muffle spell always. Why would it matter though, I'm not moving and not in their LOS, so if the spell is really silent they can't see or hear me, even if I'm just standing.

whatmustido posted...

That could make sense, but then make it completely useless. I mean, so I can charge the spell next to them, but then I have to go somewhere else to cast it or they'll hear me anyways, lol.
And yeah I though the light, but I'm far behind a wall, the light doesn't reach the edge of the wall AND they are even looking the other way lol.
#6Alvin_the_ElfPosted 11/20/2011 11:47:46 PM
I have Quiet Casting. I use mostly initial Thieves Guild or DB armor (not too far in game yet) with Sneak skill 48. They never hear or see me unless I am summoning. No idea what is wrong with yours :(

I play on Expert.
---
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#7Marioface5Posted 11/20/2011 11:49:20 PM
The whole spell, charging and cast and everything, becomes silent to others. However, it is not invisible, and so if you are casting a spell that produces a bright light when cast they are likely to see you, especially if your sneak skill is low.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#8Dranzyl(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2011 11:54:12 PM
Yeah so basically it doesn't make sense. Well I hope it's just this place, it's the first time I'm actually trying this perk out so dunno, might be some problem with this place in particular.
#9playingforfunPosted 11/20/2011 11:55:17 PM
Charging a spell doesn't make a sound with our without the perk. Releasing a spell does make noise unless you have the perk, it is only the release that is muffled though. Any noise made as part of the effect of the spell will be heard. The baseline casting release noise is actually very intrusive, there have been many times I've been sititng outside a room recasting my conjurations or alterations and the sound of my casting alerted an enemy thus tanking my magika regen.

Now for an example. The Runes in Destruction are the easiest to wrap your head around. Casting a rune normally makes noise when you put the rune down and when an enemy steps on the rune. With the perk the only noise made is when an enemy steps on the rune.

Not all spells have built in noise but still have the casting release noise. This perk for instance will let you conjure a weapon noiselessly which would normally be loud enough to alert anything nearby.

As for people noticing you casting it is likely because you are in plain view, the perk doesn't negate people's ability to see you casting.
#10Dranzyl(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2011 11:58:52 PM
playingforfun posted...
As for people noticing you casting it is likely because you are in plain view, the perk doesn't negate people's ability to see you casting.

Like I said, I'm hidden behind a wall, quite some distance away from the opening (so the spell light doesn't go through, if that's even a problem), and the enemies are even looking the other way.