Paarthurnax (spoilers)

#1SunricerPosted 11/21/2011 12:53:19 AM
So, the blades told me to kill him, they refuse to help me further if I do not.
Anyway to complete this quest without killing him? I really like him. :(
(Don't tell me to "just don't kill him"). Are there more quests after you kill him or are the Blades just being jerks? (I know Paarthurnax did bad things, etc. But I'd still take his side over that of 2 Blades).
Will the graybeards become hostile if I do kill him though?
#2Lucavi000Posted 11/21/2011 12:54:25 AM
yes, they will literally shout you off the mountain.
---
oh great... why would they do that? I'm a nerd, that's the exact kind of thing I like to avoid... maybe I'll just buy it during the day -Sahuagin
#3HowIKnowYouKnowPosted 11/21/2011 12:54:55 AM
The Blades won't give you their quests if you don't kill him, and the Gerybeards won't talk to you if you do. The only way to complete it is to kill him.
---
GT: IAmRebeccaB1ack
#4kenny326iPosted 11/21/2011 12:57:58 AM
I was wondering about this also, is there any pros/cons to killing him? Like missing certain quests cause you killed him or whatnot.
#5Sunricer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2011 12:58:08 AM

The Blades won't give you their quests if you don't kill him, and the Gerybeards won't talk to you if you do. The only way to complete it is to kill him.

Is this some sort of split path in the main story or a side quest? I presume, if I don't help them, the greybeards will help me instead and vice versa? Or can I still do the quest after I finish the main story? What do I get for killing him? Any more quests from the blades, something worth killing him over? I don't want to, but I hate unfinished quests. :(
Any way I can perhaps use the console to keep Paarthurnax alive and still finish the quest?
#6HowIKnowYouKnowPosted 11/21/2011 12:59:43 AM
Actually once you beat the game, Paarthurnax becomes invincible anyways and the quest is removed from your log. It could be a glitch, but there ya go.
---
#7effeffjayPosted 11/21/2011 1:00:50 AM
You can complete the main quest without killing Paarthy. He's a cool guy. **** the blades in this game.
---
Is it elitist to crave efficiency?
If better is possible, then good is not enough.
#8Sunricer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2011 1:01:23 AM

Actually once you beat the game, Paarthurnax becomes invincible anyways and the quest is removed from your log. It could be a glitch, but there ya go.

So it really is a "pick your side" type of quest? Either side with the Blades or the Greybeards?
#9ArreiPosted 11/21/2011 1:04:41 AM(edited)
kenny326i posted...
I was wondering about this also, is there any pros/cons to killing him? Like missing certain quests cause you killed him or whatnot.

It's a trade-off of sorts - ignore the quest and the Greybeards continue assisting you in finding word walls while you don't get dragon-hunting sidequests for the Blades. Kill Paarthurnax, and you get the opposite. Also you get the knowledge that you're a complete dick who just killed the being that made it possible to defeat Alduin in the first place and made it so the world wasn't ruled by dragons for eternity in the beginning of mankind just because some old fart and his lady friend told you to.
#10HowIKnowYouKnowPosted 11/21/2011 1:02:47 AM
Yes it is a choose your own path deal. Paarthurnax is responsible for the deaths of thousands maybe more, but he did help you defeat Alduin. The Blades are merciless.
---