Upgrading Chillrend

#1RPGFanaticksPosted 11/28/2011 9:07:19 PM
Do you guys think it is worth investing 3 points in Smithing (up to Glass) to upgrade Chillrend? I can only upgrade it to its max ability by getting Glass Smithing perk, and I've only invested in the heavy side of things so far. I don't wear any other light armor besides a Scaled Horned Armor - and apparently that can't be upgraded anyway.

It is the best sword in the game although just marginally better than a Daedric sword, I can't get over the aesthetics! Blue glass with some frost visuals!

tl;dr: 3 perks for a unique sword? Worth it?
#2effeffjayPosted 11/28/2011 9:08:30 PM

It is the best sword in the game although just marginally better than a Daedric sword, I can't get over the aesthetics! Blue glass with some frost visuals!

Best unique sword, maybe. Random loot can be better though and self crafted + self enchanted stuff is better
---
http://i.imgur.com/skvVR.gif
http://www.imgjoe.com/x/imdone.jpg
#3RPGFanaticks(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2011 9:12:58 PM
But I have 100 smithing, 100 alchemy, 100 enchanting (32% enchant potions, 130% smithing potions) and Chillrend can be upgraded to higher damage value than a Daedric Sword. The only thing you cant do is put your own enchantments on it, but Paralyze is my enchantment of choice anyway.

BTW i got Chillrend at level 60 so it is the max version of the sword. (15 dmg base compared to 14 damage base on the Daedric.)
#4effeffjayPosted 11/28/2011 9:14:21 PM
Oh I didn't realize it was leveled.

Still, damage isn't everything. If you like paralyze then chillrend is great for you but there are other amazing enchantments out there that might suit someone's playstyle more. I'm not denying that chillrend is amazing but it's not hands down the best 1h wep in the game.
---
Is it elitist to crave efficiency?
If better is possible, then good is not enough.
#5DaEvilWithinPosted 11/28/2011 9:22:13 PM
effeffjay posted...
Oh I didn't realize it was leveled.

Still, damage isn't everything. If you like paralyze then chillrend is great for you but there are other amazing enchantments out there that might suit someone's playstyle more. I'm not denying that chillrend is amazing but it's not hands down the best 1h wep in the game.

That's because it isn't a mace!

But what other "amazing enchantments" are there? I find myself always using paralyze and a filler. Any Magicka/Health/Stamina steal doesn't really do too much, and the elemental enchantments don't seem that great.
#6SyzrgyPosted 11/28/2011 9:23:18 PM
effeffjay posted...
Best unique sword, maybe. Random loot can be better though and self crafted + self enchanted stuff is better

If you think that's the best looking sword you should get and use the Dawnbreaker sword from one of the shrine quests. That sword has a miniature sun in it's hilt! A mini sun!!!
---
"You read too many comics, idiot boy."
~Ridley Silverlake, Radiata Stories
#7RPGFanaticks(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2011 9:26:23 PM
I dont consider many "amazing" - I like Paralyze and usually couple that with Fiery Soul Trap. Fiery Soul Trap adds 10 points of fire damage always. If you "lower the effect" all it does is decrease the time on the soul trap... so basically 1 second soul trap with 10 extra fire damage and 1 second paralyze.

Interestingly enough, if you elect to put the "fire damage" enchant for 10 points of fire damage - it is much more expensive than using the one on "Fiery Soul Trap."
#8RPGFanaticks(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2011 9:29:17 PM
I love the look on Dawnbreaker but unfortunately, I got it at level 30 or so, so it is pretty weak compared to my other options right now. Curious though - what smithing branch allows you to upgrade Dawnbreaker to its max value? Is it a steel sword?
#9effeffjayPosted 11/28/2011 9:31:13 PM
Steel I believe but I could be wrong.

And yeah dawnbreaker is really pretty. I love Chillrend's aesthetics though. Glass stuff = sexy as **** and the really awesome blizzard effect is just amazing. I'm probably going to get it at a high level on my sword-n-board orc character but I'm thinking an orc might be better suited for dual wielding because of his daily ability.
---
Is it elitist to crave efficiency?
If better is possible, then good is not enough.
#10UnknownToasterPosted 11/28/2011 9:31:14 PM
Dawnbreaker is sadly not leveled and can only be upgraded to Flawless but thats because of the 100 smithing limit.

http://images.uesp.net/thumb/2/2a/SR-item-Dawnbreaker.jpg/600px-SR-item-Dawnbreaker.jpg

In other news... where the hell does one get a wall mount like that? o.o
---
irc://irc.immortal-anime.net/prowrestling
Official Pro Wrestling IRC Chat! =D