Consequences of showracemenu console command..?

#1Switch2Nine6Posted 12/4/2011 9:01:45 PM
Are there any side effects of me using showracemenu to *ONLY* change my character's appearance and/or name? I just want to change his hair and name.

I would not be changing race.

Thanks for any info you can give.
#2AgumonzPosted 12/4/2011 9:03:14 PM
You lose any racial effect AFAIK (you lose Resist Frost if you're a Nord).
#3Switch2Nine6(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2011 9:04:42 PM
Agumonz posted...

Even if I don't change race?

If so that is really dumb.. they should of added a wizard or something that can change your appearance for you like the plastic surgeon in fallout.
#4Master1ChefPosted 12/4/2011 9:04:42 PM
I did that to change my appearnce at the beginning at it still shows my effect as nord

And before 1.2 seemed liked it worked as well....took very little frost damage.
---
<3 Flank Steak
#5pizzasoupPosted 12/4/2011 9:05:10 PM
showracemenu - Bring up character customization menu.

NOTE: Your health Magicka, Stamina, and Health levels will be spread evenly on using this depending on your character's level. It will remove any point distributions that were custom.

NOTE2: Make sure you are in the third person view before editing your character, otherwise you will be invisible, and unable to see the changes made on your character

NOTE3: can be Used as Vampire to fix Odd Skin/Facecolor Matchings and will not Spread your Stamina/Magica/Health Levels while you use it as Vampire, if you changed something while be Vampire and Cure yourself with lycanthropy the light Skin will stay...but also here you can use Showracemenu and alter it back to normal again without merging Stam/Magic/Health (can only confirm this as Argonian)

NOTE4: will NOT modify your attributes/skills/points/etc. unless you change the race, sex, or select a preset from the list. Modifying purely cosmetic things like skin color/warpaint/hair/face shape/etc. will leave your points unchanged. TIP: if the character moves it's hands in front like they were tied, it's a clear indication that the skills will be messed up; if the hands remain parallel to the body it's fine.

NOTE5: A way to fix the modified attributes error is to simply re-equip your gear. It may not be the best fix but it is better than nothing.

NOTE6: will remove racial resistances when used until you re-load from the main menu.

NOTE7: If you are a vampire, using showracemenu to change your race will cause you to be unable to feed; however, you will still progress through the stages of vampirism.

NOTE8: If you use Werewolf beast mode after changing race, you will revert back to your original race after you turn back into your normal form.

Source: Elder Scrolls wikia
---
So shines a good deed in a weary world.
#6AskeladdPosted 12/4/2011 9:08:37 PM(edited)
Agumonz posted...

No you don't I have only ever gone through the tutorial once and have a save just outside of the cave and use that to make new characters and all of my characters have the racial bonus of whatever I changed them to.

NOTE6: will remove racial resistances when used until you re-load from the main menu.

Ah, that must be it, then.

---
"Hold the heathen hammer high with a battle cry, For the pagan past I live and one day will die, Hold the heathen hammer high, never turn away"
#7AskeladdPosted 12/4/2011 9:23:40 PM
Also, some other things on that list are BS in my experience.

NOTE: Your health Magicka, Stamina, and Health levels will be spread evenly on using this depending on your character's level. It will remove any point distributions that were custom.

Nope.

NOTE2: Make sure you are in the third person view before editing your character, otherwise you will be invisible, and unable to see the changes made on your character

Again, not true.

TIP: if the character moves it's hands in front like they were tied, it's a clear indication that the skills will be messed up; if the hands remain parallel to the body it's fine.

Again, not in my experience, and I use showracemenu heavily in my playthroughs. I have probably used the code at least 200 times on my main character alone.
---
"Hold the heathen hammer high with a battle cry, For the pagan past I live and one day will die, Hold the heathen hammer high, never turn away"
#8Switch2Nine6(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2011 9:26:09 PM
alucard dracula posted...
Also, some other things on that list are BS in my experience.

Nope.

Again, not true.

TIP: if the character moves it's hands in front like they were tied, it's a clear indication that the skills will be messed up; if the hands remain parallel to the body it's fine.

Again, not in my experience, and I use showracemenu heavily in my playthroughs. I have probably used the code at least 200 times on my main character alone.

This makes me very happy, thanks man.

It's great to know as long as I don't hit race I can fix up facial features/get a hair cut :)
#9Chaos GrimoirePosted 12/6/2011 9:23:46 AM(edited)
If you don't change races you lose your racial passive abilities. You can add them back with the console though, which is still easier than fixing every attribute/skill.

If your hands aren't tied it means you will lose racial passive abilities, but you won't lose racial greater/lesser powers. So it's really a choice of losing racial passives or messing up attributes and skills. At lv1 change your race to something else then scroll back to the race you were when you went to the menu, but if you have something to lose at a higher level don't change race.

Magicka/Health/Stamina will average if you change races, but will stay if you don't touch race.

Showrace menu can also be used to make racial hybrid characters.
If you can use a combination of showracemenu and setplayerrace and you can create hybrids of up to 5 races as long as you start and end with your original race. Otherwise you end up with a headless character.

For details check the skyrim nexus:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2614

Also, check the comments section for my 3-5 race hybrid methods.