Is Message to Whiterun quest broken?

#1legendmaster199Posted 12/10/2011 11:31:15 PM
I sided with the legion, and I'm at the part where I give the axe back to the Jarl of Whiterun, and then I'm supposed to talk to the Legate. Problem is that I can't talk to the Legate. He just keeps saying generic things. I've tried fast traveling around the map, I've tried attacking the Legate, and a bunch of other random stuff to snap him out of it, but nothing works. Does anyone know how I can get past this part?
---
RyokoWins - I like my girls like I like my report cards.
#2FehKehPosted 12/11/2011 12:52:50 AM(edited)
...Are you sure you're talking to the right person? Legate Rikke is clearly female. You don't actually have to engage dialogue with her either, just meet her at the rendezvous and listen to her inspirational pep talk.

Also, you talked to Quentin Cipius first right?
---
You have been marked for moderation.
#3jaxson_batemanPosted 12/11/2011 12:54:53 AM
Rule of thumb: check UESP.net first; typically if a quest has a bug, it'll get put up pretty quickly.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Message_to_Whiterun_(Imperial)

No bug, so probably no issue. If you really can't figure it out, there's also some console jibber-jabber you can use to force the game ahead.
---
SCII: SEA (Gold) - Jax 108 / NA (Plat) - Jax 659
#4RhoneRangerPosted 12/11/2011 1:02:11 AM
legendmaster,

Does he say stuff like "You need to talk to my associate" or "Please direct all questions to X" Then you talk to him / her first.

If not, does he have a new dialogue option open? You may need to scroll down to find it.

If not both of those, you have the wrong item. (assuming the quest is not broken)
#5RhoneRangerPosted 12/11/2011 1:04:37 AM
legendmaster199 posted...
I'm at the part where I give the axe back to the Jarl of Whiterun,

This may be a stupid question, but did you give the axe back? If there is no dialogue for 'Axe' you have not advanced properly.
#6legendmaster199(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2011 7:56:45 AM

...Are you sure you're talking to the right person? Legate Rikke is clearly female. You don't actually have to engage dialogue with her either, just meet her at the rendezvous and listen to her inspirational pep talk.

Also, you talked to Quentin Cipius first right?

Legate Rikke? No. I have to talk to Legate Quentin Cipius right now. I'm not doing the part where I get the jagged crown, I'm further than that.

Rule of thumb: check UESP.net first; typically if a quest has a bug, it'll get put up pretty quickly.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Message_to_Whiterun_(Imperial)

No bug, so probably no issue. If you really can't figure it out, there's also some console jibber-jabber you can use to force the game ahead.

Can't use console stuff. I'm on a 360.

legendmaster,

Does he say stuff like "You need to talk to my associate" or "Please direct all questions to X" Then you talk to him / her first.

If not, does he have a new dialogue option open? You may need to scroll down to find it.

If not both of those, you have the wrong item. (assuming the quest is not broken)

No. He keeps saying things like "Keep your guard up." "Can't wait to kill another of Ulfric's boys." "Damn Stormcloak rebels." And other stuff like that. I can't even talk to him. If I click A on him he just says another generic phrase that won't allow me to do anything. Also, I don't know if this will properly describe it, but I'm not given options when I talk to him. I click A, the minor subtitle appears at the bottom, and he doesn't really acknowledge that I'm even there.

This may be a stupid question, but did you give the axe back? If there is no dialogue for 'Axe' you have not advanced properly.

I'm pretty sure I gave the axe back. The Jarl said something about "I was afraid this was his response." And it's no longer in my inventory.
---
#7legendmaster199(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2011 10:41:25 AM
Well the problem resolved itself. I went and did another part of the main quest and I went back to Dragonsreach and I could report in. Thanks for the help, everyone.
---