The Butcher Quest in Windhelm is so messed up! *Spoilers*

#1merkhavaPosted 12/14/2011 7:08:47 AM
When I first entered Windhelm I heard talk about a butcher. A little while later, just by dumb luck I happened to steal from Calisto's chest and found the Butcher Journal. Did the game give me the option to tell the guards that I found the Butcher? NO!

Next, thing I stumble through the graveyard and initiate the Butcher Quest. At the end of it, a mage from the Palace of Kings gets thrown into jail (even though I know he's not the Butcher!!!).

I start the Stormclocks quest, and end up buying a house - the same house I visited during the Butcher quest but it's all covered in blood and bones.

So, my question is WTF!?

Even though I have the butcher journal, the wrong guys goes to jail, I pay an exorbitant amount of money for a bloodied house, and the real butcher remains free. Is this quest seriously bugged up or what?
---
...were it so easy...
#2SoulTrapperPosted 12/14/2011 7:26:32 AM(edited)
This quest has two endings: if you search the house first and find the medallion, you can ask the mage about it and he'll tell you to go to a district in town at night. You'll see the real killer kill someone and get to chase and kill him.

It's one of the few (maybe the only one)quests where just following the arrow isn't the only/best option.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#3zirc00Posted 12/14/2011 7:27:18 AM
when I did that callixto ran straight to hjerim and hides in the closet and becomes unkillable, doesn't go anywhere near the market
#4VeladusPosted 12/14/2011 7:41:20 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
You'll see the real killer kill someone

Dude... be faster. :(
#5SoulTrapperPosted 12/14/2011 7:44:09 AM
Veladus posted...
SoulTrapper posted...

It was just a Nord woman anyway, no big loss.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#6merkhava(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2011 8:39:35 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
Veladus posted...
SoulTrapper posted...

It was just a Nord woman anyway, no big loss.

You must be an Imperial supporter
---
...were it so easy...
#7JolemePosted 12/15/2011 2:50:15 PM
ive still been unable to start the quest at all. I helped ulric take over solitude and was told i could purchase a house, but when i talk to the steward i get told something bad happened.

so i go to the house... found butcher journal 1 and the necklace, also got the butcher journal from calixto. Ive sat in the cemetary for 3 days and no body has shown up, no dialogue options to talk to the old lady. this quest is a bit frustrating.
#8Asurmen22Posted 12/15/2011 3:15:46 PM
After you arrest the mage another murder is supposed to happen. Sometimes it doesn't for one buggy reason or another, or at least you don't see it. Go to the prison and talk to the mage anyways. I know I didn't see another murder but I still had the option to tell him I did and got myself back on the case and caught the real killer
---
From here on out I use my own eyes. I might not make all the right choices. But as long as I'm the one who decided what to do, there's nothing regret.
#9JolemePosted 12/15/2011 3:24:33 PM
I cant even get the first murder to happen, let alone the second. I have entered windhelm through the gates at night a dozen times now, ive tried going to dif cities and coming back and going through the gates.

nothing at all seems to trigger this stupid quest. is there any way via console to start the first portion of it?

Normally I'm not all too bothered at poor scripting/planning but this quest coupled with the twilight sepulcher have really gotten me irked today.
#10JolemePosted 12/15/2011 3:30:37 PM
So i found info at

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Blood_on_the_Ice#Bugs

apparently if you get the key to the house before actually witnessing the murders it completely screws up the entire quest.

Why would bethesda even put in a key to the house or let you get it before you see the murder... really shoddy planning =(

so now im reloading to a save 5hrs previous to see if i can get the murder to trigger.