Tolvald's Cave = hardest dungeon

#1ElemenopePosted 1/3/2012 7:01:43 PM
This is by far the hardest dungeon in the game, at least the hardest one I've ever gone through and I'm level 58 playing on master. The only thing that saved me was windshear in one hand and close wounds in the other, and my melee briarheart + volikhar master vampire thralls (using a mod) both of which died at least 3 times each. I also died about 7 times, wearing double enchanted daedric armor with 100 skill in heavy armor (albeit not many perks in heavyarmor)... But god damn there were more falmer SHADOWMASTERs alone in those 3 zones than there are townsfolk in whiterun. At one point I swear there were about 15 red dots on my compass, in Tolvald's gap

so if you're looking for a challenge...
---
Humans, our best friends, yet our greatest weakness. - Bu113tPr00fM4n
Dear God, please kill Peter Parker.
#2StriderVMPosted 1/3/2012 7:09:08 PM
Falmer Shadowmasters on that dungeon didn't give me trouble at all. Even when three of the mare ganging me up. Forsworn Briarhearts are a different story though.

Single sword user with no conjuration or restoration with highest class legendary Chillrend.
---
PCSX2 - Runs PS2 MVC2 PERFECTLY
NullDC - Runs DC MVC2 nicely, needs only 2.8Ghz PC
#3Elemenope(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2012 7:18:02 PM
wth? what difficulty were you playing on? Because me, the briarheart (who was dual wielding molag bals mace with a forsworn axe), and the vampire would gang up on one shadowmaster, 3 on one, and it would take all three of us gang-raping it for about FIVE SECONDS before it would go down. Not to mention every successful strike or arrow they got on me did about 1/4th of my life away in damage (I have 482hp)

there are some serious discrepancies between what I hear on gamefaqs and what I see in my own game. If I tried to use a sword that didnt stun-lock my enemies constantly (i.e. any weapon other than windshear) I would just die every time, the healing wasnt fast enough without running away constantly or pausing every 5 seconds to use up 5 potions
---
#4DimeronPosted 1/3/2012 8:38:31 PM
What's your health, armor, and magic resist.

I have to agree, Falmer shadowmasters were never a problem for me. Dual wield brairheart on the other hand is very dangerous even with 700 hp and maxed out armor.
#5Elec Man EXEPosted 1/3/2012 8:48:00 PM
Is Tovald's Cave the one with the circular room near the end of the dungeon that's a few platforms above water and about 3 boss level Falmer and a boss Chaurus?

If so... yah. That place definately kicked my butt. I ended up going invisible, using a Mayhem scroll in the middle of the room, then adding liberal use of Paralysis poisons and still barely managed it.
---
Master of Electricity
Try the demo for Darkspore, a PC Action-RPG @ http://store.steampowered.com/app/99890/
#6Elemenope(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2012 8:53:22 PM
yes briarhearts are very damaging and have lots of HP, but never is there an area where you have to face some 20 briarhearts in a row, which is what happens with shadowmasters in this dungeon
---
#7vklomskulePosted 1/3/2012 9:21:22 PM
Get a health drain weapon. Spam it all the time.
---
Here, I thought we were friends. And now, you have a gun in my face.
I have to kill fast, and bullets too slow.
#8FeatherwindPosted 1/4/2012 8:12:18 AM
I went there on my level 30 mage (with level set to 81 with the console) and there indeed were quite a lot of Shadowmasters but not not nearly as many as "townsfolk in Whiterun". Maybe half or so of the Falmer there were Shadowmasters for me. I died once in the very start (I was greedy and trying to use runes instead of staggering spells) and almost in the last battle since the last Shadowmaster archer cleverly hid in the mist so that I couldn't stagger it and made dodging the arrows more difficult. He almost hit me but Fireball AoE claimed him before he could shoot me again.

There indeed were lots of enemies in Tolvald's Gap but most of them weren't high level falmer. I think this is still probably the hardest Falmer dungeon I have done but not maybe the hardest overall.