Problems taking Ugrids back to 5...

#1The_Count_FooPosted 2/29/2012 2:13:43 PM
So I followed the guide here...

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/five-fast-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweaks-guaranteed-to-make-your-game-look-even-better

But when I try to put it BACK to 5 and re-load the game everything has a red tint and the game crashes out of the load screen. I'm following the guide to a T but it just doesn't work. This is very frustrating as Skyrim supports Steam Cloud now and my laptop can't handle Ugrids 7. I really want to be able to play all my files on both computers. Is there something I'm missing here?
---
Divided by night...
#2The_Count_Foo(Topic Creator)Posted 2/29/2012 2:40:03 PM
Ok so when it goes red and crashes i have to reinstall the game (good thing i backed it up on an external) even if i drop in the backed up .ini its still tinted red and crashes
---
Divided by night...
#3blowsephPosted 2/29/2012 4:54:36 PM(edited)
This is why you thoroughly read up about what you are changing in your game before doing it. If you try to load up a game that was saved at a higher ugrids setting than what the game is currently set at it will crash. Set ugrids back to what it was at when you made those game saves if you want to continue to use them.
---
http://i41.tinypic.com/rsvioo.jpg
#4StokedAblePosted 2/29/2012 4:58:42 PM
When you make the ugrids change for some reason it applies changes to a random ini in your data folder. For me it was the portable campsite mod ini. I believe it creates a whole new ini somewhere in the folder. I deleted that and the red tint was gone.
#5The_Count_Foo(Topic Creator)Posted 2/29/2012 6:56:03 PM(edited)
Well that article claims that if you create a new save (after putting uGrids back to 5 using the in game console command) that the new save will work. Does that mean start a new game? Or just press esc, save, then create new file? Also deleting the random .ini in Data fixed the red tint, now it just crashes :(
---
Divided by night...
#6doom_x107Posted 3/1/2012 12:26:25 AM
I tried the method from that page and I got the same issue with CTD and red tints. I ended up changing the uGrids in the .ini back to 7 and backing up my saves and using a clean 1.4 version of the game that I had copied a while ago, fixed all my problems but I haven't tried going back to uGrids 5 again since then.