Steam?

#41youlikepustulioPosted 5/10/2011 5:43:47 PM
articwarrior posted...
That requires you to sign online first. I always assume the worst case senario when considering things*. what if someone rams into a telephone pole during an accident and takes out the power/phone lines, they're able to restore the power but the phone lines will be down for a few days and lets say skyrim came out the very same day. What am i supposed to do? how am i supposed to get online to play to activate "offline" mode. Thats the point, and the main reason i will never consider a "requires steam" game unless i knew i could get an offline patch/crack. I understand why its great and all. But its an annoyance to the max. Thats just my personal opinion and why ill probably never get a steam only game. specifically for that reason and the ones i mentioned before.

No it doesn't. When my internet was out and I wanted to play Arkham Asylum I just launched the game from the steam folder. Simple as that.
---
Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder a loved one because they're the devil.
#42Elfishguy11Posted 5/10/2011 5:55:47 PM
Personally I will be very disappointed if this game comes out on Steam.
---
][|= |_| (4|\| R34[) 7|-|][5 |_| R3411Y |\|33[) 2 637 4 |_][|=3
#43articwarriorPosted 5/10/2011 9:50:15 PM
Dark Magician Master posted...
That's not how Steam works. You have to be connected to the Internet to start playing (or to switch to offline mode), but once you've actually started playing a game, you don't get kicked out of it if your internet goes out.

It's Steam, not Ubisoft. =p

Haha, Love that you picked up on which game/company in particular i was referring to. But my point was, because of things like that. It makes me very very reluctant to try steam.

If i have to be online at any point in time to play the game then i'll look for other options. even if I only have to sign online one single time to turn on "offline mode" i still wouldnt go for it, or if I had to go for it. i'd find a patch that required no internet usage at any time.

Simply because what if I cant get online? What if the servers are down or overloaded at the release of a new game then i cant install it to play? I'm assuming thats how it works, you buy it online, then you download/install it or w/e. What if I have other things downloading that are more important. that have to be finished by the next day? it'll force me to choose between "skyrim" or other important things i have to download. When if i had a physical copy i could install it and be good to go without hampering my download speeds.

Way to many "what if's" that rely on something outside of my control. the internet basically cause we all should know how crappy it can be, for me to feel comfortable using steam or even trying it. Sooo Physical = faster, at least to me. Just my personal preference thou. I've had to many experiences with the net being gay. Be it bad weather, or just crappy speeds to rely on anything that requires the internet to function. MMo's and multiplayer games i can understand but not a single player one. But yeah, just my opinion. Im sure i'd use it if i wanted the game bad enough or couldnt find it elsewhere :P haha.

@youlikepustulio Well yeah, but that wasnt my point, my point was what if on the day it comes out i lose internet for.. a week. Before i get the chance to install it from steam?How would i get the game files in the first place if you couldnt install it from steam? How would i activate offline mode? You couldnt, I could go somewhere else and leach internet with my laptop or something sure, but then i'd be sitting in my car for god knows how long. when if i had a physical copy that required online. go to town. leech the net, download a patch come home and im done.. 30m max. vs hours of slow speeds and weird looks xD haha.

Not arguing in the least, Please dont take my post that way :P. Just a little bored and stating why i like physicals vs the thought of steam :P but to each there own. some ppl it works for, Some.. not so much. On another note. i seriously cant wait for skyrim. ^_^
#44AckronymPosted 5/11/2011 6:23:18 AM
I'm hoping for Steamworks.
It allows me to physically own the game, not have to download it and still be able to enjoy all of the metrics that Steam offers.

As long as it's not that disgusting Games for Windows nonsense I'll be happy.
#45kindianbluePosted 5/13/2011 6:34:47 AM(edited)
Just so we're all clear: This game will undoubtedly be available on Steam.

Oblivion and Morrowind with all DLC are also available on Steam.

I doubt that the game will require you to register it with Steam. Some games that come out on Steam do that, most don't.

If it does require Steam, then I guess Bethesda feels the Steam-haters are a small enough minority to ignore.

Personally, I love Steam. I get great deals on games to an extent that I don't find at any other retailer, of any kind. And their customer service has done great things in the past to warrant a bit of appreciation. For example, a very crucial Oblivion mod called Oblivion Script Extender didn't work with Steam, so Steam got in contact with the modders themselves to make the mod fully compatible with the Steam version. A lot of Oblivion mods still don't work with other digital-downloaded versions of the game, but Steam took the time to make it work by actually working with the modders.

But, on topic, any major PC title looking for good sales is going to make itself available on Steam. It's stupid for business not to.
---
Al concerto di tromboni, Di bombarde, di cannoni, Che le palle in tutti i tuoni, All'orecchio fan fischiar. Cherubino, alla vittoria! Alla gloria militar!
#46shadyelfPosted 5/17/2011 7:06:45 AM
I hope preordering it will give some hats for Team Fortress 2.
---
?
#47Klic42Posted 5/17/2011 9:21:55 AM
My only gripe with steam is having to be able to have internet access inorder to play any of the games I have downloaded. It is a real pain sometimes.
---
You spoony bard!!
#48treetopPosted 5/17/2011 9:31:14 AM(edited)
I hope it isn't or I ain't buying it.

read: will pirate game if is steam activated.
(you didn't ever say you wouldn't be playing it..)

My only gripe with steam is having to be able to have internet access inorder to play any of the games I have downloaded. It is a real pain sometimes.

you can play games in offline mode.
#49the_hungerPosted 5/17/2011 3:56:01 PM
As much as I love the Elder Scrolls series, I'll definitely be skipping Skyrim if it requires Steam. No single-player game should require an internet connection. Also, I oppose Steam's DRM model in principle, especially its blatant attack on the secondhand market. And before anyone tries to persuade me otherwise with the typical Steam sales/PR pitch, please just save it. I cannot be convinced that DRM that ties your game to an online server and keeps you from reselling it (or even giving it away) is a good thing.
#50iwilson1296Posted 5/17/2011 7:51:11 PM

the_hunger posted...
As much as I love the Elder Scrolls series, I'll definitely be skipping Skyrim if it requires Steam. No single-player game should require an internet connection. Also, I oppose Steam's DRM model in principle, especially its blatant attack on the secondhand market. And before anyone tries to persuade me otherwise with the typical Steam sales/PR pitch, please just save it. I cannot be convinced that DRM that ties your game to an online server and keeps you from reselling it (or even giving it away) is a good thing.

agreed all the way, i think new vegas required steam so this one most likely will unfortunately :(