Noob question about add ons.

#1Daz_QSPosted 9/27/2011 10:56:57 PM
To keep this short, I'm pretty much a console gamer who is thinking about getting Skyrim for PC instead of XBOX because I've heard a lot of people on this board say how great mods are. But here's my problem, can't mods have malicious things in them, and if so how can ya tell if they're safe to use? Like are there known trusted sites that everyone gets these from or is it just a user beware kind of thing?
#2shadowofthearkPosted 9/27/2011 11:08:11 PM
There will be a new Nexus site (the original being tesnexus.com) after Skyrim comes out.
Most mods will be uploaded there, to my knowledge. And they usually don't have anything "malicious" in them. A bad load order or an incomplete mod may make your game unplayable, but you could always remove the associated files and it should work again just fine.

Modding seems daunting at first, but it's not that difficult. And, if you do end up doing something that makes your game unplayable, you can just uninstall the game, delete the folder, and then reinstall/redownload it and be just fine.
---
Due to technical difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off...
#3M16DuDePosted 9/27/2011 11:10:49 PM
I've been modding Oblivion for ages and not once have I gotten anything damaging from one, not even from the obscure Japanese mods that I can't read the description or comments of.

And a Nexus site for Skyrim will be up very soon after the game's released.
---
All hail, Madoka, the all knowing loli god.
#4Daz_QS(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2011 11:20:49 PM
Thanks for the advice...I think I'm sold on getting it for PC,I just hope I'll be knowledgeable enough to install them.
#5TheSmilingLordPosted 9/28/2011 12:44:54 PM
Honestly, downloading and installing mods these days is pretty straightforward and easy.

Basically just download, unpack in Skyrim folder, and done.

Although you might have to wait a few days for the nude lolli waifu mods to be available. Very important mod for realism.
---
Gamertag: Ragnarok
#6M16DuDePosted 9/28/2011 3:04:31 PM
The Smiling Lord posted...
Although you might have to wait a few days for the nude lolli waifu mods to be available. Very important mod for realism.

QFT
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/protossie
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Tossie
#7HiddenkaosPosted 9/28/2011 3:31:20 PM
My Oblivion takes 2 minutes to load the now 600+ mods in it...

Beyond that though, mods don't cause any real issues unless you go to far with them, as for things like viruses or anything, just stick to big mod sites (like the Nexus site) and you'll be perfectly fine.
---
Legend of Legaia Wiki Contributor and General Expert.
Gamertag: Hiddenka0s (If you really care, which u don't.)