Can I put Skyrim on a different drive from Steam?

#1GrlGmrPosted 10/28/2011 1:55:28 PM
My computer has two drives, a 64 GB SSD for the OS, and a 1 TB hard drive for other programs. Steam is installed on the hard drive. The SSD has about 30 GB of free space, and I'd like to install Skyrim on it for the faster load times. I'm buying a physical copy, not downloading it from Steam. Does being a Steamworks game mean I have to install it in the Steam directory?
---
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.
#2AlexJ1991Posted 10/28/2011 1:56:47 PM
im wondering the same thing, i plan on getting a SSD soon.
---
http://steamcard.com/do/original/ivjonesyvi.png
#3deepbluekarzPosted 10/28/2011 2:03:08 PM

Skyrim will be in steam directory, so just change the steam directory path to another drive.

#4GrlGmr(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2011 2:20:27 PM
Can't move the whole Steam directory to the SSD. There are other games installed in it and it's too big. Am I out of luck?
---
Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.
#5zach12_2Posted 10/28/2011 2:21:23 PM
There might be a tool or something that does what you want.... Google is your friend.
---
(0)(0) <--- Santiago the frog says everything bad in the
(___) ...... world happens because you touch yourself.
#6jordanclockPosted 10/28/2011 3:18:52 PM
You could use SymLinks. Install the game as normal, copy the data to the other drive, make a symlink in the Steam directory to the other drive.

But honestly, SSDs make little difference in game load times from everything I've seen.