Dragon shouts and mage characters. . . Hmmm. . .

#1BeefyNukesPosted 11/8/2011 2:42:04 PM
I have two vague archetypes I want to fulfill first, but I'm not sure how the shouts will affect it (if at all). And obviously we don't know much seeing as the game isn't out yet, but here are my archetypes:

1.) Pure mage.

2.) Sword and magic.

Now for a pure mage, is it possible that magic will overshadow the use of shouts as a form of damage? What resource element does shouting use? I'm kind of worried that as a PURE mage some magic or shouts will be overshadowed by other, more powerful magics or shouts.

And for a swordmage style play, will I even need to level up my magic at all? Can't I fulfill my role using a Sword+Shield and shouts for magic? I don't know much about shouts, I only know that they're supposed to be epic. Why waste time using fireball when I can sport some cool weapons and shout out a thunderstorm? :D

What do you guys feel? Any info detailed enough to give me some insight?

Also, how do staves work for mages? If I have a staff in one hand, what does it do for my magic that dual-wielding magic can't do? :D

If no info is available, then I guess this can just be a discussion?
---
GameFAQs: Where a Kid can be a Kid.
#2MastatsanPosted 11/8/2011 2:44:11 PM
I think the shouts work off of a cooldown, not one of the meters.
---
"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument."
- William Gibbs McAdoo
#3Matriarch ProtectorPosted 11/8/2011 2:49:50 PM(edited)
EDIT: redacted comment.

I think that the problem with swordmage type builds, while popular, is that in skyrim since you have a limited number of perks, effectively spreading them across such a vast number of skills means you can't go deep into a lot of the trees. Obviously it will still be enjoyable and fun, but you can't be an "ace of all trades" like you could in prior games.

I'm going to keep fairly separate archetypes, simply:

Sword n board
Mage
Stealth

So that i can focus in detail on their specifications, and also this way each time i make a new character its something entirely new.
---
sig.
#4BeefyNukes(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2011 2:47:30 PM
Just read that in that new IGN preview-ish thing. :D

I guess that means shouts are for when you mean business, and combining two spells ain't enough business for some baddy's liking.

I still wonder if shouts can take the place of a spell-sword character's magic though. I know there were some touch spells in the past games that complemented that play style, but I wonder what the cooldowns are like.
---
#5BeefyNukes(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2011 2:52:09 PM

EDIT: redacted comment.

I think that the problem with swordmage type builds, while popular, is that in skyrim since you have a limited number of perks, effectively spreading them across such a vast number of skills means you can't go deep into a lot of the trees. Obviously it will still be enjoyable and fun, but you can't be an "ace of all trades" like you could in prior games.

I'm going to keep fairly separate archetypes, simply:

Sword n board
Mage
Stealth

So that i can focus in detail on their specifications, and also this way each time i make a new character its something entirely new.

True on the spread thin idea, but I don't think it'd be out of the question to say you can't spend your points in two different damage types. Of course I probably won't have many armor skills, or illusion skills. Nor will I have the shield skills to keep me tanking hits with one, but I'd think it possible to invest in destruction AND one handed to soften them up from afar and then finish them with a sword as they get closer? It's only two trees, but I guess we'll see, no? :D
---