Is FXAA or regular AA better?

#1Dark OnePosted 11/10/2011 10:20:17 PM
Just wondering. Or are they kind of equal but different in their methods? Thanks.
---
I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as a photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.
#2Agghh83Posted 11/10/2011 10:26:35 PM
They're kind of different, in a way. FxAA, if I'm correct, basically makes the entire game image softer, almost fuzzy, in order to keep the video looking smooth. Regular AA makes the image look better, but costs a bit more in performance comparatively.

In other words.FxAA does a decent job while costing little (relative) performance, whereas regular AA can take a bit of a toll.
---
I came here for nuttin' but instead i got nothin', like I never came.
#3Tavi033Posted 11/10/2011 10:28:59 PM
Honestly nothing is "better" unless you think it is. Try both settings and see what you like.

Personally I've bee playing at AAx2 with FXAA unchecked and I like it. Anything above x2 washes out the rest of the world too much for me.

Good luck.
#4MASKOAAAPosted 11/10/2011 10:36:03 PM
Tavi033 posted...
Honestly nothing is "better" unless you think it is. Try both settings and see what you like.

Personally I've bee playing at AAx2 with FXAA unchecked and I like it. Anything above x2 washes out the rest of the world too much for me.

Good luck.

How the hell does AA wash the world out for you lol? AA gets rid of Jaggies.
#5Thinking_HurtsPosted 11/10/2011 10:37:53 PM
Actually, 2xAA is the washiest. As you increase it, the algorithms make the smoothed edges finer and less noticeable.

But then again, if you perceive it to be the best image, nothing I can say will change that.
#6CYBORG112Posted 11/10/2011 10:47:42 PM(edited)
MASKOAAA posted...
Tavi033 posted...

Good luck.

How the hell does AA wash the world out for you lol? AA gets rid of Jaggies.

In some games Higher AA blurrs the image abit, its kinda weird, idk why but it happens.
It happens in rage

8x
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/cyborg221/8x.jpg
16x
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/cyborg221/16x.jpg

you can see the higher AA blurs out the textures abit, odd really. Idk if thats the case for skyrim tho, havent tried.
#7pickel_weasel_4Posted 11/10/2011 11:11:56 PM
So if they work differently, does that mean you should only have 1 or the other one and not both at the same time? How does fxaa compare tp 8x AA?
---
XBL: pickle weasel 4
PSN: losturtle
#8Matriarch ProtectorPosted 11/10/2011 11:13:28 PM
AA by definition makes the image blurry.

That is what getting rid of jaggies does.
---
sig.
#9CYBORG112Posted 11/10/2011 11:16:06 PM(edited)
pickel_weasel_4 posted...
So if they work differently, does that mean you should only have 1 or the other one and not both at the same time? How does fxaa compare tp 8x AA?

8xAA is real AA so it will look better than FXAA. FXAA is mostly Anti-Aliasing for consoles, its function is kinda like Edge AA which blurs out edges instead to make jaggies less noticeable, it works great for consoles as its not heavy/demanding works great for people with low-end pc's aswell.
#10CYBORG112Posted 11/10/2011 11:16:54 PM
Matriarch Protector posted...
AA by definition makes the image blurry.

That is what getting rid of jaggies does.

Think that depends on what type of AA it is. Some use blurring to make jaggies less noticeable, but the heavier AA solutions actually straighten the edges.