Random shut downs

#1Spetznaz666Posted 11/11/2011 10:51:43 PM
Hi, i've been playing Skyrim for about 30 min when my PC shut down and then restarted. This happens quite often, I think it's a heating issue but i'm not sure. I have a intel quad core 2.6ghz, 4gigs of DDR3 RAM, and a GTX 260. I dont know if my drivers are up to date but I dont think that should do much? I have my fan set at 100% speed rate and my GPU temperature was about 55C when my PC restarted. You guys have any idea what's going? I've been looking forward to this game for a while and I cant play more than 30 min without a shut down. Oh, by the way, I had my settings at medium even though they were preset to High.
---
Orange colors on the uniforms defeats the whole purpose of even giving them MARPAT-like digital camo if the orange is t-bagging you in the eyes----RoffleCakes
#2payne_masterPosted 11/11/2011 11:00:20 PM
First off, your GPU doesn't appear to be the thing running hot (if overheating is the issue). When a GPU overheats, typically it [the screen] will either freeze or go black. If your computer is restarting automatically, it's more likely your CPU (processor) overheating (again, if overheating is the issue). Do you play any other games and/or have you noticed this issue before?

Check your CPU temps...can be done in the BIOS after a reboot or there are a handful of programs you can download (free) to monitor it...coretemp, realtemp, etc...I prefer realtemp, but there are a lot of decent ones (don't expect 100% accuracy from any, but it will give you a good enough idea).
#3Spetznaz666(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2011 11:11:09 PM
Yes I have noticed this with games before, it just never happened so fast. Usually after about 2 hours of play. Is there anything I can do to lower CPU temperatures? I have liquid cooling but it came with the PC so I have no idea how to change it or repair it if it's broken.

Thanks for the reply btw.
---
Orange colors on the uniforms defeats the whole purpose of even giving them MARPAT-like digital camo if the orange is t-bagging you in the eyes----RoffleCakes
#4Spetznaz666(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2011 11:22:25 PM
bump
---
#5payne_masterPosted 11/11/2011 11:31:54 PM
Well, sort of depends on whether your cooling system is functioning correctly. First thing I'd do is check the radiator and make sure it's clear of dust buildup....if there's a lot of dust built up in the fins, air can't be pulled through and the heat just builds up in the radiator. Also make sure fans are functioning correctly...make sure that not only are they spinning but spinning without resistance (you should be able to easily spin the fan with your finger with little/no resistance).

What kind of cooling system is it? Is it a closed loop self contained system like a coolit or corsair, or a custom built cooling system? My guess is that if you just bought the computer that way it'd be a closed loop system. Either way, you want to make sure the cold plate is making good contact with your processor. How long have you had this computer, and how often do you use it (daily, a few times a week, etc)?
#6Darke1990Posted 11/11/2011 11:37:38 PM

Sounds like a faulty PSU to me. I had the exact same issue when I got my PC built. I told the guys at the shop that built it for me and they pissed about with my PC for 4 days and told me it was everything but my PSU. Long story short I went out and bought a good quality PSU and the problem was solved. 

Do you have another PSU you could pop in and test with? 

#7Spetznaz666(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2011 11:40:31 PM
I use it daily, had it for about 3-4 years now. I just vacuumed out all the dust and stuff yesterday so it cant be that. I'll take a look at the cold plate thing that you speak of. As for fan resistance... you know, some fan inside the case does make some weird rattling noises, which is odd. Right now everything is smooth, but I can start up my PC tomorrow morning and have the thing just rattle around. I cant even tell which fan it is.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1390&ID=1819

that's my case.
---
#8redemptionerPosted 11/11/2011 11:43:12 PM
faulty or overclocking ram can also do it
i recently had to underclock mine for stability
---
LawlzerPanzers!
#9Darke1990Posted 11/11/2011 11:44:39 PM

redemptioner posted...
faulty or overclocking ram can also do it
i recently had to underclock mine for stability
---
LawlzerPanzers!

Doesn't faulty ram usually give you BSOD before a restart?

#10payne_masterPosted 11/11/2011 11:45:18 PM
Honestly the best thing to do right now is to just check CPU temps with one of the programs I mentioned earlier. It does sound like overheating is a possible issue but like Darke said it could be something else like the PSU (that's power supply btw if you didn't know that)...if you can check the CPU temp (like after 15-20 minutes of playing) that'd help narrow the issue down a lot.