Imperial Army or Storm Cloaks

#1kupo1705Posted 11/13/2011 5:45:06 AM

Who did you join? I'm not sure who to join myself.

The Imperial Army tried to execute you without giving you a fair trial, but the Stormcloaks are racists who want everyone who isn't a Nord kicked out of Skyrim.

Do you have to join one of them to proceed later on?

#2Brenz0rPosted 11/13/2011 5:47:08 AM
Imperial Legion is the greatest "good" result in the long run.
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#3GriffinoidPosted 11/13/2011 5:50:32 AM
I chose the Stormcloaks because the Imperial Army tried to execute me without reason. "Who are you? Are you even supposed to be here? Well, we'll execute you anyway just in case."

Some Stormcloaks are racists but not really all of them. Since I'm not a Nord I told the Stormcloaks I wanted to join them because Skyrim isn't home to only the Nords and they seem to agree. Also, their leader didn't exactly kill the previous ruler in cold blood. Go aks him for the details. They're not perfect but I really wanted to choose a side.
---
''Fallout 3 isn't Oblivion with guns, it's Fallout 3 with guns.''
#4petrinoPosted 11/13/2011 5:52:21 AM

in the end its all down to what you want to play, are you a cyrodil nord, realising the empire is ripping at the seams, you come home only to see it for yourself, and left a choice to fight for your right to worship talos. or be a foreign refugee and fight for the lost glory of the empire.

i already managed to play throught as a nord on the stormcloak side.

im on my second playthrough, this time as a pure-blood imperial.

#5RajhinPosted 11/13/2011 5:53:53 AM
Brenz0r posted...
Imperial Legion is the greatest "good" result in the long run.

Are you serious? Have you played the other games? Read the books in the games? The Imperial Empire has committed so many atrocities that it's unforgivable.

Titus Mede tore the Empire apart. In fact, the Empire only stretches as far as Cyrodiil. The Argonians have a stronger empire, from Lilmoth to as far as Vivec City. Why would you want to help a crumbling Empire from a long dead and idealistic past? It's just prolonging their death at the hands of their own leadership.
---
"i see a few maggots came to feed on this topic's corpse." - Fony
#6kupo1705(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2011 5:55:33 AM

Griffinoid posted...
Also, their leader didn't exactly kill the previous ruler in cold blood. Go aks him for the details.

When I arrived in the capital (forgot the name) they were executing this guy who said something about that.

#7Brenz0rPosted 11/13/2011 6:20:18 AM(edited)
Rajhin posted...
Are you serious? Have you played the other games? Read the books in the games? The Imperial Empire has committed so many atrocities that it's unforgivable.

Yes, yes, yes, and no, in that order.

SPOILERS

First, the Empire doesn't want to destroy all of reality. They're certainly forgivable.

Titus Mede tore the Empire apart.

No, the war with the Thalmor is what was tearing the Empire apart. Titus Mede was the Emperor who actually managed to save it from being completely sundered.

In fact, the Empire only stretches as far as Cyrodiil.

The Empire comprises Cyrodiil, High Rock, Skyrim and I believe Wayrest.

Why would you want to help a crumbling Empire from a long dead and idealistic past? It's just prolonging their death at the hands of their own leadership.

Because without the Empire (which would probably collapse entirely without Skyrim), the Aldmeri Dominion has nothing to stop them from rolling over everything else in Tamriel and completing the ultimate plan of the Altmer in charge of the Dominion. Which is a three step process:

1) Remove Talos and Talos worship.
2) Remove Man not just from the world, but from the Pattern of Possibility, so that the very idea of them can be forgotten and thereby never again repeated.
3) Unbind reality and become divine spirits again, destroying all time and freeing the Dragon (Akatosh/Alduin/Auri-El/Anui-El, Anu's soul) to continue onward forever.

They're already most of the way towards completing the first step. Siding with the Stormcloaks will help do their job for them regarding the second step, because they remove the biggest obstacle in their way. And if they reach the third step, then it's bye-bye to Mundus entirely.

END SPOILERS
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN
#8DJCinosPosted 11/13/2011 6:20:44 AM
I'd imagine a people not oppressed by the Empire would be much stronger against 'em.
---
I was in cold storage, ask me anything!
Could say I was frozen today.
#9Brenz0rPosted 11/13/2011 6:30:34 AM
DJCinos posted...
I'd imagine a people not oppressed by the Empire would be much stronger against 'em.

If the Stormcloaks succeed and Skyrim splits from the Empire, then they'll be alone and isolated. It also cuts off High Rock and reduces the Empire so much that the Dominion could easily sweep in and completely annihilate Cyrodiil, unbinding White-Gold Tower and thus collapsing even more of the pillars holding up reality.

While the Redguards were able to push the Aldmeri Dominion back from control of Hammerfell, it was a bitter struggle that only came about because the Empire was able to defeat the Aldmeri Dominion in the Battle of the Red Ring to begin with. In order to resist the Dominion, there needs to be a united Empire standing against them. The Argonian-Dunmer and Nord-Dunmer alliances would also help, but you can't really rely on them. The Dunmer are too spread out since the destruction of Vvardenfell and Morrowind.

Additionally, Skyrim wasn't/isn't being oppressed by the Empire, per se. The Empire is taking very harsh measures to put down a rebellion against the lawful authority. They're taking the harsh measures because they know what's at stake. If nothing else, trust the Psijics. And the Psijics don't side with the Dominion.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the Aldmeri Dominion was financing the Stormcloaks, or at least tacitly supporting their actions. A divided race of Man and a destroyed Empire is exactly what they want.
---
#10SixpakPosted 11/13/2011 8:13:39 PM
When doing a quest you come across some spy writings for the dominion. They are in fact helping uflric. But it seems at one point he stopped wanting their help or shrugging them off.. but they still assist him indirectly when they can.. but not too much.

They don't want either side to win.. yet. They want them both to diminish their forces against eachother first.. then i imagine if stormcloaks won in the end..isolating the provinces would be most beneficial to them.

Both are bad outcomes.. stormcloaks removes the possibility of a strong enough resistance to stop invasion.. but imperials bans talos worship.. which seems like an important thing to keep. They're also bending their knee to the dominion over this.. and if they bend for this the dominion will just keep pushing for more and more.. slowly until the window to push back is over.

I haven't finished the game yet..but if there's anyway to make a truce..and have the imperials somehow revoke that white-gold concordant that would put them in the best position overall. Although the consensus seems to be that would still be not enough to survive an attack from dominion forces if war broke out again.
---
360 Gamertag: kapxis