The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Does magic users get any better?

#1cabcalloway1983Posted 11/13/2011 9:05:35 AM
At the first dragon fight and i cant seem to beat him,I have been using the flame and frost spells and they barely hurt him.So far i have had a tough time using pure magic with my flame spray spell and frost spray spells doing minimal damage.

From what little i have played into it it feels really hard for pure magic users,does this get any better?And if being a pure mage does pick up then when can i expect it to?
---
PSN-Cab_Calloway
#2DimeronPosted 11/13/2011 9:17:58 AM
They don't.

Offensive magic is crap. Magic is best used to support, like summoning a dremor lord (best summon in the game btw) right in the middle of of a pack of enemies or healing yourself for 300 hp and 300 stamina after you have just performed 4 power attacks.

But the most broken skill, enchanting, is a mage school. So there's that.

Also raising magicka is pointless. You want to reduce your magikca cost to 0 via enchanting and perks.
#3cabcalloway1983(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2011 9:38:01 AM
So being a pure mage is useless?
---
PSN-Cab_Calloway
#4effeffjayPosted 11/13/2011 9:39:37 AM
There are elemental augmentation perks, reduced mana cost stuff, and a lot of enchantments you can probably use to make magic worthwhile.
---
I stopped reading there.-ultragoat
So did I, since that was the end of his post.-JonIrenicus
#5SamoDaJerbalPosted 11/13/2011 9:43:22 AM
at the beginning i felt better off using a spell in one hand and a weapon in the other(or unarmed if youre a cat). as i progressed, i started having a more difficult time staying alive at melee, at which point i switched to double casting and stuff was pretty easy to just kite around. now that i've finished the main college of winterhold quests and gotten some powerful mana regen items, i can spam double fireballs all day(my mana regenerates incredibly fast) and so far ive been able to kill most things with ease. in fact, it's been so easy it's boring so far, lol. i even killed a deathlord that could kill me in literally one hit because i just didnt let him hit me while filling him with fireballs.
---
PSN: PowerBeard
Don't give up, Don't give in... Without a beard you will never win.
#6KaitaNuvaPosted 11/13/2011 9:52:05 AM(edited)
for people that suck at pure mage:

1. pick up conjuration (zombies until you get apprentice half magicka, then you use atronachs)
2. KITE, make use of environment
3. BUFF yourself as often as you can (try to pick up the stoneflesh perk as you progress the game, its x4 armor buff)
4. pick up impact for dual casting bolts - snipe & stun continuously
5. complete mage college quest to gain magicka regen items
6.???
7. you have stopped sucking
---
HannsG 21.5" 1920x1080 *** AMD Phenom II X4 B60 3.7GHz *** Sapphire HD 6850 1GB @875/1075
#7Isaac_RedfieldPosted 11/13/2011 10:01:21 AM(edited)
cabcalloway1983 posted...

Well, realying on Destruction only to kill anything is useless. I started ranting about how awful it scales in this game compared to physical damage and was called a troll. Now more and more people (who actually reached a higher level) know what's up. It just does not scale and your "power" caps out around level 15 - 20 and it's all downhill from there.

Basically if you want to kill anything without worrying about getting clobbered, you need to level up Conjuration. In fact, you may as well just level up Conjuration as your main source of personal damage too and just use the bound items over Destruction magic.

The removal of spell creation was one of the biggest mistakes they've ever made, and all of the spells play like some trash from a FPS. There are no longer any damage over time spells. No point blank, touch spells that do massive damage (at a higher risk), no drain spells, no speed increasing spells...nothing really any good, just three generic elemental spells for damage, conjured weapons and summons, healing and ward/armor buffs. The rest are trash.

KaitaNuva posted...
for people that suck at pure mage:

1. pick up conjuration (zombies until you get apprentice half magicka, then you use atronachs)
2. KITE, make use of environment
3. BUFF yourself as often as you can (try to pick up the stoneflesh perk as you progress the game, its x4 armor buff)
4. pick up impact for dual casting bolts - snipe & stun continuously
5. complete mage college quest to gain magicka regen items
6.???
7. you have stopped sucking

Hi, get to level 20 or so and then read your own sage advice...
The irony is that you suggest this long winded proceedure, when all a physical character has to do is run up and power attack something and it falls over. Most regular enemies actually die in a single swing, and the named and elites fall to two power attacks and one or two normal hits.

Magicka regen items are uselss as well when you can Enchant gear to drop a specific school all the way down to 0 cost. The kicker is, it doesn't matter if your spells cost nothing if you still spend an eternity trying to kill something with dual casted bolts.
#8Zethcarn22Posted 11/13/2011 9:56:33 AM
cabcalloway1983 posted...

Yep. Enjoy the game balance.
#9ShimmerManPosted 11/13/2011 10:02:45 AM
It's weak compared to people stacking up enchanting and making overpowered weapons. But in general it's pretty good if you have the regen and combine your spell casting with dragonbone shouts.
#10FdshadowPosted 11/13/2011 10:07:29 AM
Im 24, and I can still manage quite well. Yeah, the enemies with a mountain of health are tough, but with some kiting I can manage them.