Making Companion NPCs Essential (simple instructions inside)

#1XialohPosted 11/16/2011 10:28:56 AM(edited)
There's another topic about it, but the solution is pretty far down. Credit to AsanteRevell for posting a universal solution that worked for me and should work for everything. Note that this does actually make companions immune to death in any form, including death blows from you. They still go down on one knee to recover, and they will still leave your service if you keep attacking them.

Get the first name of your companion. For this example, I'm gonna use my companion Aranea Ienith. Simply type the following into the console:

help Aranea 4

Replace Aranea with the name of your companion, like Lydia for instance (help Lydia 4). Once you've typed that, there should be a bunch of stuff that pops up, or a little, depending on the NPC name. The relevant bit is where it says "NPC_: (00028AD0) 'Aranea Ienith'. Once you have this code , simply type

setessential 00028AD0 1

^Do not forget the '1' at the end, and do not forget to use the code for your specific companion instead of 00028AD0. This method has worked for me, tested at least 4 times spamming dual cast spells at her in god mode. Without it, she goes down to one knee, then dies as long as I deal enough damage to finish her off. With this, she simply goes down to one knee, and can't recover until I stop hitting her. She will leave my service, start crawling away, impaled several times over with shards of ice, but she will not die.

Note: Some, if not many, companion NPCs will have multiple codes that pop up when you type in their help code. For instance, a friend of mine wanted the solution to do this with his companion Cicero, but that brought up 3 different NPC codes. As I don't have this companion, I don't know which one works, but my guess is that one of the 3 codes that pop up for him will work. Just make a save and try a code, then surprise him by trying to kill him 3 times or until he refuses to die.

K have fun. If anyone knows how to simply turn off friendly fire on companions, that'd be great too. I assume it's possible due to the fact that the "cloak" line of spells (i.e. flame, frost, and lightning cloak) don't deal damage to friendlies in general.
---
"When life gives you lemons, shoot them back at life at high velocity." - Asura Advice Column
#2Xialoh(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2011 3:25:27 PM
bump for later crowd
---
"When life gives you lemons, shoot them back at life at high velocity." - Asura Advice Column
#3dagophPosted 11/16/2011 3:29:18 PM
do you have to enter this every time you start up the game? or will it save it for the next time?
#4Xialoh(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2011 3:30:14 PM

do you have to enter this every time you start up the game? or will it save it for the next time?

It saves it.
---
#5dagophPosted 11/16/2011 3:40:55 PM
this is awesome, thanks a lot. now i dont have to worry about setting Vigilance on fire.

do you know if there is a way to turn your spouse into a companion? I married senna (one of the priests in markarth) and i want to take her with me but she has no options to be a companion.
#6Panic_AKPosted 11/16/2011 3:46:20 PM
I'd like to know where I can get my companions back when they get lost. I've lost 2 already, and not to death.
---
Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo.
#7Cao-Ang-ZixiuPosted 11/16/2011 7:19:19 PM
Bumping this, so everyone can see.
---
Justice has been served, and SO HAVE YOUU!
o==={SWORDOFJUSTICE>
#8Garuda_cyborgPosted 11/16/2011 7:26:16 PM
Thanks for this

Maybe put an abbreviated version in the codes section or a wiki?
---
My FC -> 4212 3513 8759
Sareph: The gray fox was wrong this whole time. Why cover your face with a mask when you can cover their face with a bucket?
#9MC_BatCommanderPosted 11/16/2011 7:27:00 PM
Thanks a lot for this, I don't like using companions when they can just die and this is a handy solution.
---
You can slice it, dice it, any way you like it!
http://i51.tinypic.com/o6jnev.jpg
#10Cookie BagPosted 11/16/2011 7:29:37 PM
Man, I always kill lydia, and been too lazy to scavenge for the setessential in this game, but i guess its the same as fallout...
---
KS = Kill Secured, Get over it noob :D