What's your armor rating?

#1spankytheslothPosted 11/16/2011 1:47:24 PM
Just curious.

Mine's at 326 w/o shield, from legendary+ dragonscale armor. Still two more points to go in the bonus 20% armor rating, and the 25% matching set perk. I'm assuming it will be over 500 then.

Much different from oblivion where the max armor was 85. How exactly does armor rating work in skyrim?
---
Brushes with death are like snowflakes; each one is unique, and if you have enough of them you can make a snowman.
#2blitz1008Posted 11/16/2011 1:47:51 PM
like 7 or something. i really dont wear any
---
skin
#3matriarchprotecPosted 11/16/2011 1:51:11 PM(edited)
I'm not sure how armor rating works in this. In Oblivion the armor was the % damage reduction.

EDIT: just under 500 with shield. Wearing all dragon with some unique helmet. Heavy Armor skill is only at 50ish.
---
sig.
#4Dante200XPosted 11/16/2011 2:01:17 PM

I'm not sure how armor rating works in this. In Oblivion the armor was the % damage reduction.

Yeah and it was capped at like 85 in Oblivion. In Skyrim it seems to up to over 1000...
---
"I'm not reading reviews when I can just ask this board." - TormakSaber asking about a Sam & Max game on the TF2 board
#5ZanarixPosted 11/17/2011 2:43:11 PM
spankythesloth posted...
Much different from oblivion where the max armor was 85. How exactly does armor rating work in skyrim?

According to UESPWiki, multiply your armor rating by 0.12 and the result is how much physical damage your armour reduces (in percentages).

The game also has "hidden" armor ratings, apparently - ratings that aren't shown on the GUI.

displayed armor rating = (worn armor rating + item quality) * (1 + 0.4 * skill/100) * (1 + Custom Fit or Well Fitted + Matching Set) * (1 + Agile Defender or Juggernaut) + (shield armor rating + item quality) * (1 + 0.4 * skill/100) * (1 + Custom Fit or Well Fitted + Matching Set) + effects (x-skin spells, Lord Stone, etc.)

hidden armor rating = 40 for wearing (chest) armor + 20 for each additional piece worn

damage reduction% = (displayed armor rating + hidden armor rating) * 0.12

Therefore, if your game displays your armor rating as "500", then you'd actually have 600 armor rating (+100 hidden bonus for wearing full armour), which would reduce 72%.

According to the wiki, the game caps at 80% physical damage reduction (with armour). You get this when you're displaying 567 armor rating.

Meaning the caps from Oblivion to Skyrim (for physical damage reduction) are fairly similar, and the only thing changed substantially is that they've decided to inflate the numbers (for everything, more or less).

Source: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor