Theif/ Archer Stealth build. Heavy armour or light?

#1NeoHimselfPosted 11/16/2011 5:11:25 PM
Hi. I made a archer/theif today and im kinda confused on what side to choice. Obviously I want to be as sneaky as possible . Does heavy armor matter much to sneaking ability? And when I start smithing, should I stick to the right of the perk tree or left?
#2Dante200XPosted 11/16/2011 5:12:47 PM
Light.
---
"I'm not reading reviews when I can just ask this board." - TormakSaber asking about a Sam & Max game on the TF2 board
#3Smokey MacPotPosted 11/16/2011 5:15:32 PM(edited)
For smithing light armor stick to the left side, but the right side still has weapons so you may just want to do both.

I'm pretty sure that heavy armor makes it harder to sneak as well, and you will move painfully slow while crouched.
---
If you can read this, you are literate.
"GFAQs isn't your blog." - I_Was_Pwnz0rz
#4jedinatPosted 11/16/2011 5:30:57 PM
Regardless of game mechanics, sneaky characters wear light armor. This is a roleplaying game. The answer is obvious.
#5NGd72Posted 11/16/2011 5:36:05 PM
Get heavy armor but get it to 70 and then spec so it's weightless
#6Blind_AssassinPosted 11/16/2011 5:41:21 PM
jedinat posted...
Regardless of game mechanics, sneaky characters wear light armor. This is a roleplaying game. The answer is obvious.

And what's the problem with roleplaying a badass who wears heavy armour so well that he's still a sneaky mofo?
---
^IMO.
#7DragonivonPosted 11/16/2011 5:42:15 PM
Pretty much that's the build I am using (sneaky archer sniping from the shadows) and I think light is the way to go too. Also if you use companions at all, make sure they are stealth types too, in light armor. I can't tell you the number of times my great stealth meant nothing with my companion in heavy mail clanking next to me alerting every enemy for miles. Just my two cents.

You might consider building up the heavy side of the smithing tree not for armor but the weapons. While glass swords and bows are all fine and good, they will pale in comparison to the damage output of daedric or even ebony. If you feel it's TOO expensive you can always console-command in the perks but that's up to you.
---
"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese." (PSN: Dragonivon , XBox: Dragonivon)
#8Lord_EliwoodPosted 11/16/2011 5:42:41 PM
NGd72 posted...
Get heavy armor but get it to 70 and then spec so it's weightless

Weightless, yeah. But not silent, as far as I know.
---
<Space available for rent>
#9jedinatPosted 11/16/2011 5:43:02 PM
Blind_Assassin posted...
And what's the problem with roleplaying a badass who wears heavy armour so well that he's still a sneaky mofo?

Because it makes about as much sense a "roleplaying" a god descending to Skyrim with godmode enabled.
#10DaverdarePosted 11/16/2011 5:48:56 PM
Blind_Assassin posted...
jedinat posted...

It is just plain unrealistic. And don't try to awnser with "well, it's fantasy, nothing is realistic". There is a difference between "logical realism" and "actual realism". Logical realism just means that something makes sense within the context of the world. Of course, you have the possibility to wear armor. But if you try to think about it, sneaky characters would kinda sabotage themselves with such a choice. First of all, your armor has to be functional, not "badass". As someome who sneaks you usually don't take damage, you try to prevent damage (thats the point of sneaking, if you want to look like a tank you can go full warrior). Thiefs and Assasins have to be fast, be able to retreat quickly and avoid damage. That means that you have to choose an armor which improves your sneaking because that is the thing that keeps you alive.
However, Skyrim gives you the option to choose the heavy armor and no one will tell you that you are not allowed to wear heavy armor. But just as an advice, it is stupid roleplayingwise and harms your sneaking ability.
Just think about how you would act if you were put into a fantasy world like this. You wouldn't play the badass, you would rather WATCH your ass.