Good skills to invest in for a barbarian build?

#11King_of_donkeys(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2011 9:45:23 AM

Pick up light armor instead of heavy. There are some light armor pieces where you are shirtless wearing a pair of pants/kilt essentially. Studded Leather body armor is a good example. Appearance wise that is about as close as you'll get. Also, some of the light armor bonuses from perks better support a barbarian build than the heavy armor perks.

I think i'll have to start over then, while I still have the chance. I'm only level 6 so it's no big deal.
---
Latif confirmed for beastslayer, machine dismantler, godkiller, legend, and The Man.
GT: Icy J 101 ----- http://steamcommunity.com/id/theicy
#12King_of_donkeys(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2011 9:46:56 AM

You can go heavy armor. The Ancient Nord armor pieces can be smithed at the skyforge and you can improve them to be comparable to Daedric. They look barbarian-y. The other thing you could try is going with Alteration, stripping down, and just casting armor spells on yourself.

It's not so much appearance that bothers me, I just want the sort of character who can wade into a fight, swinging his oversized weapon, and come out alive and victorious with the blood of his enemies all over him. None of that prissy sneaking bullcrap, just pure manly, headsplitting, beheading action.
---
Latif confirmed for beastslayer, machine dismantler, godkiller, legend, and The Man.
#13DifferentialEquationPosted 11/18/2011 9:48:35 AM
King_of_donkeys posted...

It's not so much appearance that bothers me, I just want the sort of character who can wade into a fight, swinging his oversized weapon, and come out alive and victorious with the blood of his enemies all over him. None of that prissy sneaking bullcrap, just pure manly, headsplitting, beheading action.

Appearance is important. A barbarian needsto be able to run around howling like a naked savage and offend the townsfolk.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#14XxRiSoNxXPosted 11/18/2011 9:49:20 AM
Yeah, light armor helps with that later on.

You can pick up a perk at 60 or 70 skill in called "Wind Walker" I believe it gives 50% faster stamina regeneration. Also, there is a ring you can get in Markath that gives +50 stamina. Mind you, your char will have to do some "gross" stuff to get it. XD

Timing your power attacks, instead of throwing them out like mad, also helps. The biggest bonus you can get as a 'barbarian' race wise would be either an Orc - double melee damage, half-melee damage taken for 60 seconds... or Redguard - 10x stamina regen for 60 seconds.

Both would be helpful for your character's style, I think.
---
My rig: intel i7 cpu 950 @ 3.07ghz, 12gigs ram
2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 1gb video cards in SLI
#15King_of_donkeys(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2011 9:51:54 AM
I was already playing a redguard, because that power is awesome. I'm not a fan of orcs really. I think I will start over and go for the light armour, even if it does mean i'll be hit a lot harder :(
---
#16DifferentialEquationPosted 11/18/2011 9:54:01 AM
XxRiSoNxX posted...

Timing your power attacks, instead of throwing them out like mad, also helps.

A true barbarian does not fight like this. He flails his weapon about like an angry beast until his enemy stops moving.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#17Fallen_RayeanPosted 11/18/2011 9:58:18 AM
Could be one of those crazy barbarians that carries a shield around.

....the things I've found that I can do with the shield tree make me weep for all of my characters as I feel the need to start over AGAIN. I'm never going to beat this game.
---
Isis Moriendo Renascor
#18XxRiSoNxXPosted 11/18/2011 9:58:34 AM
There is a difference between a berserker and a barbarian. :P

A berseker goes into combat like a wild man with zero regard for what happens to himself or others...

A barbarian isn't always doing that unless "enraged" (thus the orc ability would be best for the similarity). Also, wasting stamina just to be "a wild man" can get you killed in Skyrim unless you happen to be playing on the lowest difficulty. In which time, you can take and iron dagger and unenchanted robes, run through and slaughter basically anything.
---
My rig: intel i7 cpu 950 @ 3.07ghz, 12gigs ram
2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 1gb video cards in SLI
#19moon1244Posted 11/18/2011 9:59:45 AM
It's not a barb, but I happen to be playing as a light armored great sword wielder.

Working fine so far.
---
I wish I were what I was when I was trying to become what I am now.
#20DifferentialEquationPosted 11/18/2011 10:08:00 AM
XxRiSoNxX posted...
There is a difference between a berserker and a barbarian. :P

A berseker goes into combat like a wild man with zero regard for what happens to himself or others...

A barbarian isn't always doing that unless "enraged" (thus the orc ability would be best for the similarity). Also, wasting stamina just to be "a wild man" can get you killed in Skyrim unless you happen to be playing on the lowest difficulty. In which time, you can take and iron dagger and unenchanted robes, run through and slaughter basically anything.

I don't think you fully understand the nature of the barbarian so I'll demonstrate with an example.

You're given a quest where you need to speak to the Jarl. A non barbarian walks up to the jarl and speaks to him. A barbarian however, runs into the jarl's throne room (let's out a war cry if you're a nord), jumps on the table, runs towards the jarl while kicking all the food and plates off the table, punches the jarl's steward in the face and only then speaks to the jarl.
---