Followers and default equipment

#1HienLaiPosted 11/19/2011 1:00:13 AM
I know some if not all followers have a default equipment setting that you cannot remove from them regularly. They all have infinite arrows and the housecarls and such have a default item set they revert to regardless of you having taken everything from their inventory (steel armor). But what I'm having trouble with is why the hell does the Ebony (Legendary) Bow I give them (housecarls and Aela) always get outmatched by a Hunting Bow that is magically inserted into their equipment whenever they want to range attack? Like the steel armor you cannot remove the Hunting Bow since it isn't in their trade menu to begin with, but when I use the console to showinventory, they have it equipped over the stronger bows. Is this Hunting Bow actually a special one that companions get that have better stats than stuff you forge/upgrade?
#2quicksilver117Posted 11/19/2011 1:01:23 AM
Omg wall of text! Please break some freaking lines! It's not that damn hard!

To answer your question, she's bugged. Multiple people, if not all, cannot change her bow for obvious reasons.
---
It's gaming time brah! Get that game face ON!
PoKéMoN FC - W: 0347 0997 3030
#3HienLai(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 1:03:16 AM
That is hardly a long paragraph, everyone acts like they've never read a page of a book in their life... or even a magazine/article.
#4Lord_BadmagicPosted 11/19/2011 1:03:19 AM
You remembering to give her arrows? The unlimited ones only work with the default bow, if you don't give her arrows or she runs out she reverts.
---
"Whatever blows your hair back"
#5KudZuPosted 11/19/2011 1:03:40 AM
It's not just the one follower, every last one of them is bugged.

And no, it's not because the bow is stronger. It's because it's bugged.

So just don't bother giving any of your followers a bow, because they won't use it.

They will use any arrows you give them, though, and if you give them just one they will have an infinite number of them (I think).
#6quicksilver117Posted 11/19/2011 1:04:58 AM

That is hardly a long paragraph, everyone acts like they've never read a page of a book in their life... or even a magazine/article.

It's called dyslexia. Especially w/ a text box that small, it creates a wall of text easily.
---
It's gaming time brah! Get that game face ON!
PoKéMoN FC - W: 0347 0997 3030
#7Lord_BadmagicPosted 11/19/2011 1:06:07 AM(edited)
All I know is after the first run with her (apart from deciding never to use a follower again) she had reverted, topped her up with 90+ arrows and the next time she pulled the better bow.
---
"Whatever blows your hair back"
#8HienLai(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 1:07:41 AM
I have them equipped with Daedric Arrows but they still love that wooden hunting bow.
#9Sparda XPosted 11/19/2011 1:09:12 AM
Their inventory and what they choose to select is just buggy in general. I've given them fully upgraded Daedric armour sets and still had them randomly revert to their own armour.

Has anyone tried using the console command 'removeallitems' on a follower and then giving them new equipment? That could be a workaround for now but I haven't tested it myself yet.
---
Do not lend or make illegal copies of this post.
#10blowsephPosted 11/19/2011 1:52:19 AM(edited)
Here is what I did:

Open console, click on housecarl (I believe they all are equipped with the same gears) and enter:

removeitem 10e2dd 1
removeitem 10e2de 9999
additem 424f8 1
additem 10b0a7 1

This removes their bow and however many arrows they had, and replaces it with a BOUND bow and a BOUND (and unlimited supply of) arrow. So far, Lydia has only reverted to her original bow & arrows once after doing this.

For ease of use, open notepad, paste those 4 lines of code into it, and save it in your skyrim/data folder as whatever filename you want. Then you can open the console, click on the NPC to target it, and type "bat filename" (replace filename with whatever you named the text file as) and it will execute all 4 of those commands automatically.
---
http://i43.tinypic.com/zydphc.jpg