Windhelm House/Butcher Glitch? *spoilers*

#1F_WolfPosted 11/19/2011 5:13:08 PM
Is there any known workaround for the glitch where you can not get the house in Windhelm? I have completely finished the Stormcloak quests, and the Housecarl still is giving me the line about it not being available just yet.

The butcher quest also refuses to trigger. I can not for the life of me get the quest to start. The scene where the dead girl is found in the graveyard just will not happen.

Some people are guessing it happens when you advance the Stormcloak quests and the darkbrotherhood quests togther in the wrong order it can break, I guess because there is a optional kill quest to kill one of the victoms of the butcher?

In anycase, it is not letting be buy the house or start the blood on the ice quest. If anyone knows a workaround that would be awesome.
#2RedcountPosted 11/19/2011 5:15:53 PM
Yeah, I've heard this is the main bug people have problems with in the game.

Sorry I can't help, the quest triggered for me after I had done 0 civil war quests and only done Aretino's quest in Skyrim.
---
"You applied over those years a Lisa Simpson, Miko Miyazaki and Brianesque level of hypocrisy." - OldFrenchDragon
#3F_Wolf(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2011 5:21:03 PM
Redcount posted...
Yeah, I've heard this is the main bug people have problems with in the game.

Sorry I can't help, the quest triggered for me after I had done 0 civil war quests and only done Aretino's quest in Skyrim.

Yeah, I had all kinds of glitches happen revolving around that Dark Brotherhood quest where you get the contract from Muiri. Apprently I had already killed the guy for the main part of the contract, so the quest consisted of me sitting down to talk with her, going "Yeah...I killed him forever ago" and then that was it.

It not only has seem to broke the Blood on the Ice quest and purchasing a home in Windhelm, but it also broke Muiri from being able to be married to. I was able to fix that problem with the console, but no luck trying to figure out how to fix the blood on the ice/Windhelm thing.

I even when into the butchers house and stole his jouneral, but I couldn't do anything with it.
#4fuzzball01Posted 11/19/2011 5:51:24 PM
You have to finish Blood on the Ice to buy Hjierim, because Hjierim is the buyable house, and part of Blood on the Ice. Blood on the Ice has 2 parts. After completing the first part, go speak to whoever is arrested to start the second part.
---
Don't rush me, I'm thinking.
#5SetisPosted 11/19/2011 5:52:52 PM
The whole problem he's referring to (and it's happened to me as well) is that Blood on the Ice WILL. NOT. START. No matter what you do.
#6WithYouForYouPosted 11/19/2011 5:52:56 PM
fuzzball01 posted...
You have to finish Blood on the Ice to buy Hjierim, because Hjierim is the buyable house, and part of Blood on the Ice. Blood on the Ice has 2 parts. After completing the first part, go speak to whoever is arrested to start the second part.

You realize that you don't have to arrest him right? There's a way to keep him out of jail and complete the second part. In fact he's involved in doing it that way too.
---
3.4 GHz AMD 965, 750W Corsair TX, ASROCK 333 Mobo, 8gb 1333 Corsair, Sapphire ATI 6870, 2x 120mm fan, 3x 80mm fan
#7fuzzball01Posted 11/19/2011 5:55:19 PM
No, I obviously don't realize there is a second way to do the mission I already did. Otherwise I might have mentioned it.
---
#8RedcountPosted 11/19/2011 5:55:56 PM
Blood on the Ice has 2 parts. After completing the first part, go speak to whoever is arrested to start the second part.

Wait, what? 2 parts?

***SPOILERS***
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I caught Calixto trying to murder a woman in the market, so I stuck an axe in his head. I thought I finished the quest?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
***END SPOILERS***
---
"You applied over those years a Lisa Simpson, Miko Miyazaki and Brianesque level of hypocrisy." - OldFrenchDragon
#9fuzzball01Posted 11/20/2011 3:05:33 AM
Well then apparently there are several ways to go through Blood on the Ice. Mine went like this:
SPOILERS

-Investigated murders
-Entered Hjierim
-Found evidence
-Accused Wuulferth the Unliving (wasn't given another option)
At this point it told me I had completed Blood on the Ice

-had a misc. mission to deliver something to Wuulferth
-went and spoke to him
-he called me an idiot and asked how I thought he was the murderer
-when I showed him the journal/amulet, he deduced where the killer would strike next, and told me to go patrol there
-after that, even though I patrolled for 2 nights, I saw no one and nothing special happening, I magically knew who the killer was after visiting Wuulferth again (but didn't even talk to him)
-went and killed Calixto (he attacked me as soon as I walked in, no dialogue)
-spoke to the guard captain again, he released Wuulferth, Blood on the Ice completed. Again.

Its even in my completed missions section twice, with 2 different descriptions of the last thing I did for each.
---
#10LobsterDandyPosted 11/20/2011 3:08:39 AM
Setis posted...
The whole problem he's referring to (and it's happened to me as well) is that Blood on the Ice WILL. NOT. START. No matter what you do.

Had this happen to me. I was trying to do it after I destroyed the Dark Brotherhood and finished the civil war on the Empire's side. setstage console commands didn't seem to do anything.
---
I believe in Artemis Hound & John Magnum
The heroes 215 deserve.