Orc fighter - 2H or 1H+shield?

#1WarugiPosted 11/20/2011 3:39:58 PM
I made a new character who is your basic orc fighter. Heavy armor, restoration magic for healing up between fights, etc. I also plan to do the companion quests to make her a werewolf.

Now, which would be more fitting? 2H fits the raging orc image more, but shield gets to bash things and has all the handy elemental resistances. At this point I'm pretty torn between the two and cant decide.
#2Warugi(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2011 3:50:11 PM
Bump. Board moves way too fast.
#3Sunni_PhonoPosted 11/20/2011 3:50:12 PM
I rolled a Orc fighter a couple days ago. I was making this decision a few days ago and went with 2H weapons. Using battle axes at the moment. I started on expert, and at first it was dying a lot so I rolled it back to adept. Now around level 10 its getting way too easy so I put it back on expert. No regrets - its very fun to play.
#4Warugi(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2011 5:33:12 PM
So the less survivability from not having a shield isn't much of an issue? What about against the Dragon Priests?
#5TJsAdairPosted 11/20/2011 5:36:03 PM
I have a 2h using orc, gotta say that I have not run into ANYTHING that can take him on, when it comes to dragon priests, if you seem to be having issues just use berserk and power hit him a few times and watch him just explode
#6benny_lava27Posted 11/20/2011 5:38:21 PM
Put 2 war axes/sword with +35% attacking speed, bleed/critical hit perk and +50% two handed damage. Awesome.
#7mandnepPosted 11/20/2011 7:54:39 PM
If you're playing on higher difficulties, choose 1h. Mages can fry you with one shot until you get a significant elemental enchants. The 50% to element resist from the block perk is huge, and pretty much nullifies magic users. Melee enemies never hit as hard, and are much easier to shrug off. I never found the 2h extra damage to be worth the control and protection of 1h. Not to mention 1h does way too much damage as is.
#8doctorchimpPosted 11/20/2011 7:58:39 PM
Orc is the first character I rolled when the game came out and I went two-handed just because of how good it felt for combat. But yeah very few things can take more than one power swing.

Remember to outfit with two-handed damage +% gear.