The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Battle Mage (Unconventional Build incoming!)

#1Berry2012Posted 11/25/2011 4:18:04 PM
So, I've found a build and I wanted to know whether it's good or not:

Race: High elf, Breton, Imperial (Can't decide here :/ )
Stone: Apprentice Stone
Perks:Destruction,restoration,illusion,heavy armor
#2funkyfritterPosted 11/25/2011 4:18:56 PM
That's pretty much the first mage build everyone thought of. I am disappoint.
---
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/297/keyboardwut.jpg
#3Berry2012(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2011 4:46:52 PM
Nah, what about da heavy armor?
#4random_noobiePosted 11/25/2011 4:51:00 PM
funkyfritter posted...
That's pretty much the first mage build everyone thought of. I am disappoint.

heavy armor is nothing new.

also, atronach > apprentice.
---
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
LoL IGN: nvmvoidrays
#5YourJanissaryPosted 11/25/2011 4:58:56 PM
not sure if he's serious about it being unconventional or just trolling in a really strange way.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Eckyo.jpg
#6AgentNounPosted 11/25/2011 5:00:43 PM(edited)
Berry2012 posted...

Pretty standard once people realized that you could enchant heavy armor with the same properties that mage robes can have.

Also: don't bother with many Restoration perks. They're just not going to do you much good--only the early ones are worth it, no matter how unique you want your build to be. But Conjuration? Oh, man. Conjuration is the friggin' BEST.
---
There is only a signature here because it makes the post look neater.
Really, that's all.
#7Berry2012(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2011 5:01:35 PM
Hmm, I'm really confused about what to build (happens to me with every rpg) . I like dual wielding, I tried stealth, but I don't think its funny after some time. I also like magic, but I hate spamming. I don't want to break the game with smithing, enchanting, summons, or enormous backstab damage :/ But what else can I build?
#8DaEvilWithinPosted 11/25/2011 5:02:36 PM
Assuming you are willing to use Enchant/Alchemy/Blacksmithing to its ultimate potential, I believe ANY armor-set can reach armor cap. So just pick whatever looks nice/perks you like.

Also, Battle Mage isn't anything new, they basically advertised that in the trailer. It isn't that fun, imo. Destruction is ridiculously weak without Impact, and while your 1H can be OP, a shield/other weapon is always nice.

But YMMV
#9GQ_AbdouPosted 11/25/2011 5:03:30 PM
Zelphin Morpheus posted...
Berry2012 posted...

Pretty standard once people realized that you could enchant heavy armor with the same properties that mage robes can have.

Also: don't bother with many Restoration perks. They're just not going to do you much good--only the early ones are worth it, no matter how unique you want your build to be. But Conjuration? Oh, man. Conjuration is the friggin' BEST.

I actually made a thread yesterday asking why I should wear robes and not heavy armor on my "pure mage" considering I can enchant the heavy armor with enchants almost as powerful as the robes. I got ripped a new one for "asking a stupid question." People on these boards are strange. Apparently, just because I wanted heavy or light armor on my mage instead of robes, I'm categorized under the "d-bags who care about min/maxing and therefore fails to realize that some games are enjoyed for the RP value."

I'm scared to post anything on these forums anymore. I say more power to you, heavy armor is sweet.
#10AgentNounPosted 11/25/2011 5:09:12 PM
GQ_Abdou posted...
I actually made a thread yesterday asking why I should wear robes and not heavy armor on my "pure mage" considering I can enchant the heavy armor with enchants almost as powerful as the robes. I got ripped a new one for "asking a stupid question." People on these boards are strange. Apparently, just because I wanted heavy or light armor on my mage instead of robes, I'm categorized under the "d-bags who care about min/maxing and therefore fails to realize that some games are enjoyed for the RP value."

I'm scared to post anything on these forums anymore. I say more power to you, heavy armor is sweet.

Heavy armor works really well for a mage, yeah.

Thing is, it comes down to what you prefer. It takes roughly the same amount of perks to get Heavy Armor + Smithing + Enchanting that it would to get all the useful Alteration perks + Enchanting, so neither is more efficient. The only downside to Alteration is that you have to keep re-casting the spells, but the robes in this game look awesome, so it's not really a big deal.

The downside to Heavy or Light Armor is that it's going to be tough until you get really good at Enchanting. You'll lack the spell cost reduction and magicka regen of robes, and you won't be able to replicate it fully until you get to a really high Enchanting skill. But once you do? Sauron mode.
---
There is only a signature here because it makes the post look neater.
Really, that's all.