Newbie with some questions

#1RourkeInsanityPosted 11/28/2011 6:24:43 AM
I'm level 7 right now, and i'm (trying) to level around Whiterun atm. There aren't really a lot of quests close by are there? I get quests to all far places of skyrim. I'm having the biggest problems progressing. Here are some questions:

1) I'm playing a Nord warrior. I'm dual wielding. I like playing (big) damage-dealing melee classes, but it's so dull. There is really nothing but normal swings with an occasional 'special attack'. I'm a casual player with not much experience in RPG's. Was this is the right choice in race/class for me?

2) How can I get proper food that doesn't heal just 5 but ie. 50, since I have a health pool of 150? Also looking for proper quantity's (about 30 - 40)

3) Having "so much" food is obviously more weight. As of right now I have 310 in weight I can carry, which is almost as much as my own gear. I need way more, especially for dungeons. How can I get this?

4) How can I get better weapons and armor? I'm level 7 and i'm running around with my gear for 5 levels now. Weapons even longer. Haven't seen a single better weapon so far.

5) I need materials for my blacksmithing. How do the mines look like that I need to mine for ore? I've been looking like everywhere, mainly mountains and such, but can't find anything.

Don't get me wrong, I like a challange but as of right now it's unplayable for me. I have no sence of direction and purpose at the moment, and i'm not enjoying the game as much as I know I can. Please give me some answers. Tips are also welcome.
#2RourkeInsanity(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2011 6:26:43 AM
I should add that I'm level 7.
#3guncaddyPosted 11/28/2011 6:39:14 AM
you said you were level 7 at the beginning of your first post
---
Pretty pretty is the horsey who hath drunken the magic tequila
#4RourkeInsanity(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2011 6:47:24 AM
guncaddy posted...
you said you were level 7 at the beginning of your first post

I realised it a soon as I posted it. Thought I left it out. Unfornately no edit and delete buttons anywhere. Anyway...
#5RaidenGrayPosted 11/28/2011 6:51:24 AM
1) There are Perks you can get that make Dual-wield a lot better, though I never really enjoyed that play style in Skyrim very much myself.

2) Cooking food is more or less useless for restoring health. Do alchemy and make health pots instead.

3) You can get more carrying capacity by choosing stamina when you level up. It'll give you +5 Carrying Capacity. You can also enchant gear to give your more carrying capacity. Though it's done by enchanting Carrying Capacity itself. Stamina Enchantments won't give you more Carrying Capacity, that's only inclusive of the leveling up Stam choice.

4) Well you can craft your own once you get your smithing up, you can even upgrade your current at the smithing area too. Outside of that you can just level up some more. As you level up higher tiers of gear will be "unlocked" for you to find on mobs and in dungeons.

5) You basically gotta know what too look for when it comes to Ore. Mines are obviously a good place to find them(Notably that first mine at the beginning has like 5 or so iron veins in it). There's also some sitting along the east side of Whiterun near the walls if you wanna run out there and try and look at them to get a sense of what your lookin' for. However with the PC version you can get a mod someone made that basically gives them a glow texture so you can spot them easier. Pretty useful if they are in a dark spot in a cave or something.
---
GamerTag: Jeffreh
#6MastacowzPosted 11/28/2011 6:54:15 AM
1) I'm playing a Nord warrior. I'm dual wielding. I like playing (big) damage-dealing melee classes, but it's so dull. There is really nothing but normal swings with an occasional 'special attack'. I'm a casual player with not much experience in RPG's. Was this is the right choice in race/class for me?

-Aside from getting your attacks to perform faster, and adding enchants to them, not much is going to change in the melee game between swings and power attacks.

2) How can I get proper food that doesn't heal just 5 but ie. 50, since I have a health pool of 150? Also looking for proper quantity's (about 30 - 40)

-Dunno, I havn't dealt with food or cooking at all.

3) Having "so much" food is obviously more weight. As of right now I have 310 in weight I can carry, which is almost as much as my own gear. I need way more, especially for dungeons. How can I get this?

-See #2

4) How can I get better weapons and armor? I'm level 7 and i'm running around with my gear for 5 levels now. Weapons even longer. Haven't seen a single better weapon so far.

-Blacksmithing or good luck on opening chests in dungeons.

5) I need materials for my blacksmithing. How do the mines look like that I need to mine for ore? I've been looking like everywhere, mainly mountains and such, but can't find anything.

-Farm wildlife for various hides to turn into leather and turn into leather straps. Alternatively buy straps/leather from vendors.

Farm veins in mines for ore to smelt into ingots. There is a mine close to Riverwood, just off the initial path you travel on your first time into Riverwood. Alternatively buy ore/ingots from vendors.

All in all just talk to everyone in town and your quest list will start expanding like a fat kids waistline. There are times I wish I would stop talking to townsfolk because the sheer amount of quests in my log is overwhelming. Doing them leads to better gear and levels and etc. Run around and kill things.
---
Moo
#7gamrls57Posted 11/28/2011 7:05:27 AM
RourkeInsanity posted...
I'm level 7 right now, and i'm (trying) to level around Whiterun atm. There aren't really a lot of quests close by are there? I get quests to all far places of skyrim. I'm having the biggest problems progressing. Here are some questions:

Don't get me wrong, I like a challange but as of right now it's unplayable for me. I have no sence of direction and purpose at the moment, and i'm not enjoying the game as much as I know I can. Please give me some answers. Tips are also welcome.

1) In all seriousness, you can be whatever your imagination allows in this game. Just mind the perks when you level up. Some races are better suited to certain weapons, ie Nords favor 2H weapons, Redguards 1H, Wood Elf favor archery.

2) Cooking food gives it more health restoration but not a lot. Potions are the way to go and you can make them easily at an alchemy table.

3) Increasing your stamina increases your carry weight. You can also use strength potions or enchanted items to increase it.

4) You will find better items as loot as you level up. Use smithing to improve the weapons and armor you already own. The lady at the smith in Whiterun gives a tutorial (or maybe you already knew).

5) Mines are everywhere ...iirc there is one just north of Whiterun. Take the carraige to the major hold cities and explore from there. One major city has a silver mine right inside.
#8limrazPosted 11/28/2011 7:11:36 AM

1) Nord - Ork, Two handed warrior, warhammer, increase damage perks, Light Armor.

2) Cooking soup or other recipes available when using a cooking pot. Same for alchemy.

3) Store `dead weight` like food and ingredients at your house. Don`t be a pack mule. Pick only expensive items to sell.

4) Steal. Blacksmiths and inn owners have an interesting amount of good weaponry. Craft banded iron armor or leather. Upgrade.

5) For now use the vendor`s misc gear. Keep track of every mine you find or stumble along the way.

#9gamrls57Posted 11/28/2011 7:15:24 AM
Another tip that is helpful: get or hire a companion follower to help you carry stuff. Or as the above poster said, get a house to store your stuff.
#10FenriradramelkPosted 11/28/2011 7:16:18 AM
@1:
Any race can be equal to any other when it comes to skills/class choice. Yes, different races start out with different bonuses to different skills, but a Nord with 50 skill in One Handed will behave very similarly to a High Elf with 50 skill in One Handed.

Using Perk points is where the big differences start to come, since you can make your One Handed attacks do more as a basic example. You cannot "respec" your character without using cheat codes or mods, so have some kind of plan about how you're going to spend those perk points.

@2:
Food is pretty much useless for efficiently restoring health. Honestly use Potions or Healing spells.

@3:
When you level up, investing into Stamina increases your carrying capacity, but only by 5. Stamina will otherwise make you able to do more power attacks, and allow you to sprint farther before tiring.

It really helps if you can clear out all your useless junk by selling it - a character I have without any weight reducing armor perks or the Steed stone, wearing the heaviest armor and wielding the heaviest weapons, is only using about 140 weight when I've cleared the junk.

To that end, get a house (the one in Whiterun is the easiest to get), so you have somewhere reliable to store all your junk.

@4:
You can craft your own, but making anything higher than Iron or Leather/Hide stuff will require that you spend perk points in the Smithing tree.

Otherwise, finding stuff in dungeons and off of some enemies is generally scaled off your level - a level 7 character would probably run into mostly hide/leather light armor, and iron/steel weapons.

Very, very limited places do exist where there are pre-placed, non-scaled loot just laying around, but these will probably be too difficult for you to do at level 7.

@5:
You can outright purchase them from many armor/weapon vendors.

On the compass & map, a mine icon will look as you expect it to, a pair of crossed pickaxes. Most of the individual veins look like rocks with shades of different colors layered through it.

Note that the mineral veins WILL respawn, meaning they refill, but it takes about 30 in-game days.

@Quest Locations/Progression:
Lots and lots of the quests are set up to send you to a random place you haven't been to yet. BUT, for Whiterun as an example, it will try to confine them to locations in Whiterun Hold (or the general "county" of Whiterun's valley).

Most of the other quests, like for the main quest, companions, thieves guild, etc. will send you to the same locations each game, but other quests, like jobs you can pick up from Innkeepers, are going to generally send you somewhere you haven't been to yet.
---
The Sun was born, so it shall die. As we were forged we shall return.
I know in darkness I will find you, giving up inside like me.