Is all damage resistance capped?

#1hjalmedPosted 12/5/2011 10:36:30 PM
I read somewhere that all damage resistance (armour rating, spells, effects, etc etc) are all capped at 80%, is this really so?

So it is half-futile to go for a 100% magic immunity run? Or simply increasing armor ratings after a certain point?
Also, what about shields and blocking? Is a 100% block out of the question? And beyond even that, does it even stack with the reduction from armour or is it useless if your armour already reduces the damage by 80%? Or do you at least get damage*0.2*0.2?

In either case, is it futile to go for any kind of resistence or armor rating to cover 100% damage reduction?
Was it all a dream not meant to be?
#2hjalmed(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2011 11:37:40 PM
If it is, that would make The Lord stone to be much less useful than it could be.
Though it appears it still absorbs some damage, in which case I figure it absorbs some of the damage left after damage calculations.
#3hjalmed(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2011 1:04:50 AM
Wait, if you are a breton, with the lord stone activated, and three ranks of the magic resistance alteration perk, is that as good as it gets? So even the shield of solitude would be half useless like that, no?
But I suppose it could be enchanted for further block reduction... if that even stacks with armor beyond 550 to begin with.
#4hjalmed(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2011 1:51:26 AM
To be honest, the idea of the armor cap is a bit crazy.

I am hitting the armor cap, yet I am using Dwarven gear, and my stuff is neither epic nor legendary.
So... what was the pooint of all other armor in the game when tier 2 heavy is enough to cap it?
#5ZipdogPosted 12/6/2011 1:54:03 AM
Yet another reason Morrowind's game mechanics were superior... Maybe there will be a mod to fix it. Or a patch... someday.
---
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#6CanOfTUnaPosted 12/6/2011 1:55:01 AM
Zipdog posted...
Yet another reason Morrowind's game mechanics were superior... Maybe there will be a mod to fix it. Or a patch... someday.

.__________________.
---
http://tuna.ytmnd.com
also known as CanOfTuna
#7xfyrenxPosted 12/6/2011 1:57:11 AM
Magic resistance is capped at 85%. Elemental resistance can go to 100%. Armour doesn't give any bonus after 576 (I think, could be a bit off with that number).
---
A fate worse than a fate worse than death... That's pretty bad - Blackadder
Black FC 2623-2687-6904 OT Vanessa
#8SushiSquidPosted 12/6/2011 1:58:44 AM(edited)
People report that magic resistance caps at 85% and combat damage mitigation at 80%. The latter is achieved at 667 armor, but you have hidden armor of 40 for chest and 20 each for boots, gloves, and helmet if you have a light or heavy armor piece in that slot, so a displayed rating of 567 will achieve maximum combat damage mitigation if you're in full armor.
#9hjalmed(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2011 2:18:56 AM
Blocking is a seperate calculation I presume? Does it have its own caps though?
But in either case, it should still be useful even at the damage cap, shouldn't it?

Still though, I never imagined that I could settle for Dwarven armor even in late game. Some of the coolest armor in all of TeS though, so not wholefully bad, but still.

As for magic though, Breton+LordStone+AlterationPerks basically does it then? 5% off, yet anything, like say the shield of solitude, would go well past the limit. 85 seems like an odd number though, if physical resistance isn't 85% that is. But then again, I wonder what the point of all these caps being in the game serves anyway. This is a single player game Bethesda, if a feat is hard enough to achieve, let the player run with it. If you fear it is too easy to achieve, make it harder, don't cap it so far away from the end game.
#10xfyrenxPosted 12/6/2011 2:28:39 AM
Well back in Fallout 3 the armour cap was 85% as well. Not sure why Beth went for that number, but it's not the first time.
---
A fate worse than a fate worse than death... That's pretty bad - Blackadder
Black FC 2623-2687-6904 OT Vanessa