Housecarls.. do you get one in every city for each house?

#1Howard_Roark_Posted 12/10/2011 12:12:16 PM
I am thane of Whiterun and Solitude. I own a house in each and I have a housecarl in each. I own the house in Riften but I do not have a housecarl there. I assume I am a thane of Riften because I bought the house. Is there a way to confirm whether or not I am a thane of Riften? And, shouldn't I have a housecarl in Riften?
---
"The choice is not self-sacrifice or domination. The choice is independence or dependence." --Howard Roark
#2zcicecoldPosted 12/10/2011 12:13:35 PM
You have to speak to the Jarl of Riften one last time after you buy the house, before she proclaims that you're the new Thane. You might have bought the house and all the decor, and then skipped out on the conversation with her.
---
"Also, you gotta give Johnny Cage props for going into fairy-tale land and pretty much taking on monsters." - Kush_n_OJ
#3AzardeaPosted 12/10/2011 12:13:45 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4zcicecoldPosted 12/10/2011 12:13:54 PM
But yes, there is a housecarl in the Riften home as well.
---
"Also, you gotta give Johnny Cage props for going into fairy-tale land and pretty much taking on monsters." - Kush_n_OJ
#5haihanePosted 12/10/2011 12:14:58 PM
Howard_Roark_ posted...
I am thane of Whiterun and Solitude. I own a house in each and I have a housecarl in each. I own the house in Riften but I do not have a housecarl there. I assume I am a thane of Riften because I bought the house. Is there a way to confirm whether or not I am a thane of Riften? And, shouldn't I have a housecarl in Riften?

having house doesn't automatically make you become thane.
notable example would be solitude, where you can buy the house and still not be a thane (yet).

until the jarl formally recognises you as thane, you won't get housecarl.
but there are special exceptions, i think a city's jarl recognised me as thane, but has no purchaseable house in the town, so i didn't get housecarl there.
#6Howard_Roark_(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2011 12:18:38 PM
Hmm.. the jarl of Riften doesn't have any further dialog for me. She just repeats the same few lines but nothing that triggers further dialog. I did the quest for the argonian on the docks and the argonian has no further dialog either. What am I missing? Is this bugged?
---
"The choice is not self-sacrifice or domination. The choice is independence or dependence." --Howard Roark
#7haihanePosted 12/10/2011 12:21:32 PM
quick google gave 2 results:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111125085907AAfz03I
and
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Becoming_Thane

i'm going for link number 2.
"RiftenEdit
Connected to the Thieves Guild Quests.
It is entirely possible to become Thane without doing any of the Thieves' Guild quests. Simply speak to the argonian named Wujeeta on the dock immediately outside the city. Give her the Potion of Healing that she asks for. Then ask her about her skooma dealer. Speak to the Jarl to begin the Skooma Trade Quest. Complete this in conjunction with the usual "help x people" requirement and you become Thane, pending purchase of Honeyside."
#8Howard_Roark_(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2011 1:23:21 PM
OK.. I found out that its bugged. The miscellaneous quest "Return to the Jarl of Riften" was in my journal and nothing I could do would clear it. Talking to the Jarl of Riften triggered nothing. Apparently it has something to do with talking to the Jarl before or after going to your Riften house after purchasing it. I'm not sure whether I went to the house first or talked to the Jarl first, but one or the other is what triggers the bug.

Anyway, if you are sure you helped enough people in Riften, and you have bought Honeyside from the Riften Steward, and you have the "Return to the Jarl of Riften" quest in your journal, and speaking to the Jarl does nothing for you, using the following console command will complete that "quest" and give you the housecarl in Honeyside --

open the console

type in "setstage FreeformRiftenThane 200" without the quotes.

Done. Enjoy your Riften housecarl.
---