What is the best armor for mages?

#1kopo007Posted 12/14/2011 6:22:37 AM
Even though I hate playing as mage in most game, I somehow really like mage in game and I just finished winterhold college quest line and got myself archmage armor but I wonder is there any better armor for mage then the archmage armor?

Thx in advance!
#2f_ranz1224Posted 12/14/2011 6:27:20 AM
if you mean robes, those are the best you will ever get

a lot of mages go down the enchanting route however, and enchant light or heavy armor instead of wearing robes.

At max enchanting level, you can reduce the cost of a given school by 25% per armor piece (except boots and bracers) thus allowing you to cast spells for free
---
everyone in this world is good for something. Even the worst human being is the BEST example of what NOT to be
#3SushiSquidPosted 12/14/2011 6:38:32 AM(edited)
Unfortunately, the best thing for a mage to do is simply wear some light or heavy armor. Even with all three ranks of Mage Armor, Stability, and Alteration Dual Casting, you can only make Ebonyflesh provide 300 armor (36% damage mitigation) for 198 seconds. Dragonhide can provide the maximum 80% damage reduction, but only lasts 99 seconds with Stability and Alteration Dual Casting (it takes both hands, but if you hold them both you can dual cast it for an insane magicka cost). Meanwhile, armors can easily reach the cap without magicka cost and are permanent, and they can do it for fewer perks.

I'll be fixing this, among other things, when the Creation Kit is available.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1299968-planned-improved-perk-trees/
#4Lord BladePosted 12/14/2011 6:40:58 AM
Actually, if you make full use of enchanting, alchemy and smithing, you can make godlike Daedric armour that easily makes a school of magic free to cast.
---
Are today's games made for 1 armed, drunken kids with downs-syndrome? - krazy168
The politically correct term is "casual gamer" - wubikens
#5FeatherwindPosted 12/14/2011 6:45:00 AM
That robe is indeed the best generic mage armor in the game. There is also the option to go for reduction but it is very painful without enchanting (unless you are very high level) and you don't "farm". Without enchanting you might end up with mixed pieces of different armor sets and light/heavy/clother but with enchanting you should do just clothes.
#6thesuperweaselPosted 12/14/2011 7:00:09 AM
Kind of strange but your best of never putting anything into Magicka and getting enchant smithing heavy armor and your magic of choice to 100 and use a weapon in the mean time till you can get 0 cost spells
#7pro_Posted 12/14/2011 7:13:29 AM
Kind of strange but your best of never putting anything into Magicka and getting enchant smithing heavy armor and your magic of choice to 100 and use a weapon in the mean time till you can get 0 cost spells

One, it would be ridiculously tedious to get any school of magic to 100 without investing any points in magicka. Two, this would make for a mage with absolutely no depth / variation.
#8kopo007(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2011 7:22:13 AM
Thx guys:) I never give a though about enchanting, thx to your advices I'll look into, thx again!
#9Jacekbn2Posted 12/14/2011 7:34:25 AM
pro_ posted...

One, it would be ridiculously tedious to get any school of magic to 100 without investing any points in magicka. Two, this would make for a mage with absolutely no depth / variation.

Not really sir. You haven't read what he wrote. If you get enchanting to 100 you can create a set with -100% specific school spell cost. I leveled destruction this way to 100 in under 3 hours. Spamming runes makes for quick levels:P
#10ReptillianDNAPosted 12/14/2011 7:35:37 AM

The best armor for mages is that one set of armor for mages crafted specifically just for mages and mages only.