Script Extender not working

#1moku5Posted 3/3/2012 10:35:22 AM
Alright so I put all the files in the necessary places, but whenever I start the game through the loader I get an error message that says

C/Programs/steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/binkw32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system admistrator or the software vendor for support.

Anyone have any idea what this means or how I can fix this?
---
So, until we meet again, stay gold. Bang.
-Tom
#2lindallisonPosted 3/3/2012 12:08:32 PM

moku5 posted...
Alright so I put all the files in the necessary places, but whenever I start the game through the loader I get an error message that says

C/Programs/steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/binkw32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system admistrator or the software vendor for support.

Anyone have any idea what this means or how I can fix this?
---
-Tom

Where did you get your SKSE, and is your Skyrim up to date?  SKSE gets updated whenever Skyrim does, maybe you have a version mismatch. 

Also, you mention you "put all the files in the necessary places"

With SKSE all the files go to one place, your Skyrim root directory.  So it would be *place*, not *places*....

If you've spread some around, like say into the DATA directory, the thing isn't going to load...

#3gungunn101Posted 3/3/2012 12:11:35 PM
There was an update a few days ago. The SKSE team released a their update not too long afterward. Yours might not be up to date.
---
If you are Amish and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#4moku5(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2012 12:30:14 PM
Where did you get your SKSE, and is your Skyrim up to date? SKSE gets updated whenever Skyrim does, maybe you have a version mismatch.

Also, you mention you "put all the files in the necessary places"

With SKSE all the files go to one place, your Skyrim root directory. So it would be *place*, not *places*....

If you've spread some around, like say into the DATA directory, the thing isn't going to load...

thanks for the response. I got SKSE from http://skse.silverlock.org/ probably 2 hours ago so I imagine that its the newest version. I'm running Skyrim on Steam, so unless I need to go out of my way to update that should be updated as well.

And yeah it's all in the Skyrim folder. This is really annoying because google has turned up nothing on people having this problem so I can't seem to find any solutions ._.
---
-Tom
#5gungunn101Posted 3/3/2012 3:16:25 PM
Do you start Skyrim with the Steam launcher or the SKSE launcher? You need to start it with the SKSE launcher for it to work.
---
If you are Amish and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#6lindallisonPosted 3/3/2012 3:34:40 PM

I PM'd you a link to download a copy of my Binkw32.dll, drop that in your skyrim root and see if it works when you run skse launcher.

Alternatively you could re-verify your Skyrim installation through steam, or download RAD game tools' Bink video codecs and copy Binkw32.dll from the Bink install.

Far as i know the only Bink usage in skyrim is the 3-second Bethesda Game Studios logo that plays at startup...

#7lindallisonPosted 3/3/2012 3:35:43 PM

Goes without saying you should backup your existing binkw32.dll somewhere before overwriting it.

#8moku5(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2012 3:36:34 PM
Do you start Skyrim with the Steam launcher or the SKSE launcher? You need to start it with the SKSE launcher for it to work.

When I try to start it with the SKSE I get that error message I wrote in the first post .-.
---
-Tom
#9moku5(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2012 3:55:58 PM
I PM'd you a link to download a copy of my Binkw32.dll, drop that in your skyrim root and see if it works when you run skse launcher.

Alternatively you could re-verify your Skyrim installation through steam, or download RAD game tools' Bink video codecs and copy Binkw32.dll from the Bink install.

Far as i know the only Bink usage in skyrim is the 3-second Bethesda Game Studios logo that plays at startup...

I appreciate the sentiment, but I haven't gotten any PM's so....sadface

So I tried to launch the game simply through Steam but it wasn't working at all, so I might be having a bigger problem here. Thanks for the info, I'll see what happens after I re-install...
---
-Tom